THR I am the Storm

Can you arrange for a patient advocate to help you keep regular tabs on these dangerous healthcare workers, @danelady ? You're on pain meds, which I'm assuming may make you drowsy. Someone needs to run interference between you and their ignorance! I'm worried!

@Jaycey You better believe I did! My dr came earlier and we had ourselves a talk.
I told him how last night I asked the aide for the gait belt so I could slowly lower my leg off the bed instead of just letting it flop off but he wouldn't give it to me. Dr said it was a great idea, why wouldn't he give it to me?
I said that's exactly why I don't want to deal with some of these numbskulls.

I'm the only one who can tell what causes more pain and what causes less. I can actually put a little weight on it but I let out a blood curdling scream when I feel my muscles tensing to move my leg. He said right now it's just a crack but when the muscles tense up they pull on the crack.

Dr's going to call in some good pain pills to help me get thru the first few weeks. That does NOT mean I can try an Irish jig for St Paddy's Day (sorry Jamie), lol.

PT is here saying they won't discharge me if I don't get up. I said Fine. I really tried but no go. The PT gal went to the nurse's desk for a few minutes, came back and hooked my lines back up without saying a word. 'Are we done?' I asked? 'Yes' she said curtly and I felt an icy wind fill the room
I refuse to be continuously pushed around by these people.

I hear you. Several years ago, I was hospitized with a Texas-sized kidney stone, and my nurses were clearly miserable. One I considered abusive. I was stunned by how quickly I was out on the pavement after outpatient thr (4 hours), but the thought of being an inpatient scared me more.

Keep advocating for yourself and don't let the you-know-whats get you down!!! :) :-) (:

@Merrimay Holy cow Merrimay! They just expect us to blindy obey them. There is definitely a change in attitude here towards me.

PT gal might have gotten a little miffed when I looked out the window saying how
I was tired of people with clipboards telling me what to do (she was holding a clipboard), I was tired of people poking me endlessly trying to find a vein ( I have HUGE veins).

I have a feeling that once this crack heals the hip should finally be fine.

Since she has the clipboard, I assume she was told as a student that people in acute pain can grow frustrated and irritable, especially when they've been poked and prodded and misdiagnosed and ignored so often they can only fear they'll never get better.

As for a nurse's difficulty in finding your veins, that's why they went to nursing school, right? Surely it wasn't only about the pay, benefits, and vacay... :wink:

I'd be a blithering idiot if I'd gone through your tribulations, @danelady. I think you're giving it your all and doing an amazing job of coping. That your nurses and PTs resent having to do their jobs makes me angry. :console2:

@danelady I do hope you and your surgeon talked of ways to protect yourself with this small break. I also had a small fracture of the tibia plateau in 2016 which healed well without any surgical intervention. I did probably put too much weight on it afterwards so I hope you can really get the help you need to avoid this. And as for staff, everyone it seems is calling themselves a nurse these days when you call the offices. Major medical advice (not just protocol) being given by unlicensed folks is rampant in the big medical group setting. Yes ignorance and deception has increased but fortunately we know we must be tenacious in being our own advocate. You need a super solid discharge plan. The entire PT folks literally left the building after my surgery. I was never seen . This is documented in my chart. Don’t let that happen to you! And furthermore- I would be a good OT might be able to come up with some ideas too. And finally- a major consult with social services-again someone with a license! Keep the faith!

@Merrimay I guess I'm not part of that clipboard crowd. I get it that it helps people stay on track but there doesn't seem to be any leeway. (I might be rambling now, lol)

At home I had worked out a way to get in and out of bed. I laid on my back with bent knees and a pillow between them, slowly rolling over onto my good side. It might be slower but it worked for me. These people are intent on going by what the clipboard says to do.

@spaniel I've been wanting to reply to you but my phone screen is getting dark...needs charging. It's hard to get people to answer the call bell now. So I'll get back later. So glad to hear your small fracture healed..
I better send this before it disappears, lol.

I hate that you are having to deal with "educating " the supposed educated nursing staff, techs on what is best...:groan:
Be That Person if need be...
Hugsxxx

Hoping you can recover from this setback w/o more surgery. I had small fracture after one month and did partial weight bearing for 3-4 weeks and did begin to heal on its own and eventually healed completely.
Of course, I haven't been through what you have so keep advocating for yourself, the healthcare system is broken. We are a number and once over 65 seems we get less attention.

@danelady so sorry to hear of your fracture but so happy it doesn't require surgery. Hopefully by now you are home and resting comfortably with your puppy by your side. Sending healing thoughts, prayers, good mojo and giant cyber hugs to you. Hoping this is it and you can get on with recovery once and for all! As far as the staff at the hospital I'll say I'm at a loss for words since I can't use the words that are coming to mind! :rotfl: :fingersx::praying:

@danelady.....so sorry to hear you got rotten treatment by the PT in hospital. Don't ever be afraid of advocating for yourself and refusing something you know will be painful or maybe even damaging. You can just tell them you want to speak with your doctor and you won't comply to their requests until you do. Your doctor has the right idea actually. Too bad he didn't tune that staff up a bit. Maybe he did with the nurses after they refused to allow you to use a gait belt to help move your leg. It sounds like that may have happened since the nurse told that therapist to hook you back up and leave you alone. Too bad they all saw fit to punish you for looking out for yourself by not responding to the Nurse Button. Be sure and write that in your review of the hospital and staff. And let your doctor know as well. You can also write a letter to the hospital administrator and complain, if you feel like taking the time to do that. Sad to say that this type of thing does happen more frequently than it should.

I'm glad you're back home. Did the doctor give you guidance about weight bearing?

It's okay to miss the Irish jig.....maybe a nice, calm MayPole dance....

Last edited:
Good heavens! I trot off to a nice vacation with sketchy internet and return home to read your updates!
I am so sorry this happened, all of it!
But your sense of humor and your strong will will prevail. Oh and that adorable pink beret!

Will check back in later when I have some free time, but wanted you to know I am rooting for you and hoping it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Thinking of you, danelady.
I hope you're home, settled in and resting comfortably.
Take good care and get lots of rest. You've been through so much. Hugs
@danelady

Hi all. I'm not good. My friends were ready to call the police because the hospital wouldn't tell them where I was. Hold on, I need to adjust myself a bit.....ok.
The hospital did not agree with me leaving, they did not like me standing up to them. We went outside but then the nurse said she wouldn't let me leave and wheeled me back to my room. Unfortunately I never mentioned what room I was in and when my friends called they were told I was discharged at 1pm. Huh? I didn't sign the discharge papers till 6pm. The hospital refused to tell them what room I had been in and I WAS still in that room waiting for my friends.

This go round has been the most horrible experience in that hospital. My dr knew what I wanted. The hospital kept blaming me for the crack saying I had to have fallen. Even my PCP kept insisting I fell and I continuously corrected them.....I NEVER FELL!
I see my dr next week on Friday. I need good news.
I can't get to the toilet in time anymore, so I have a bedside commode coming tomorrow and I'm going to use diapers for a while. I can tell the pain tonight is just a teensy bit better than last night...but it's still excruciating.
I need it to all just be over

Oh My. What an experience. I hope you are taking notes for when your write your book! I hope everyday gets little bit better! Those bedside commodes are great. My first week i couldn't make it to the bathroom either. My husband thankfully put up with all my dribbles. I think the spinal or meds contributed to it. it went away or i got faster one!!! Thinking of you and hope each day gets better!!

@lanstan
Haha! Yeah, I figured I need to pick up the speed at bit to get to the toilet....or just head there earlier. Sometimes I think I should nap in the bathroom. Lol.
Anyway, commode is on its way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks