THR I am the Storm

Danelady,
My partner is a retired truck driver, Teamster for 40+ years.
He retired 5 years ago just in time to take care of me! LOL!
He's always said he'd like to go back on road with me and cross the country...uh, no, not for me. Also says this new brand of truck driver is much different.
But I think all of us over 60 just possessed a different work ethic. Not to say there are not many younger folks that work hard cause I know my son works his rear off as a nurse 7-7 but him and I took great pride in doing our jobs and going above and beyond.
Yes, I think your days of driving trucks is gone but I do understand your passion for your profession and it's nice to hear of so many that did help you all out during pandemic.
Positive vibes headed your way.

@myglasshalffull Breaker! Breaker! Your partner knows truckin'! See how you know going on the road is not for you? That's what a lot of people don't get....it's not just a job, it's a lifestyle and its not for everybody. It wasn't till my son graduated high school and went in the Navy someone suggested I learn to drive a truck. What? Get paid to drive? Sign me up, lol. Now for some good news!!

THE HIP IS GOOD!
Dr was very happy with the x-rays! I keep forgetting to take a screenshot. The lock ring he put in after the last dislocation is holding steady, you can actually see a part of it that sticks out. I am very happy with it as well, it feels strong and only a little sore and I don't have to go back till next year! Well....6 weeks.

He told me his wife really liked the Christmas present I gave him last visit. Did I mention I got him a present? A black t-shirt that says 'Badass Hawaiian Trucker' on the back, with a couple of Peterbilts (he's Hawaiian and I guess he's alright, lol)

Such Great News! :happydance:
Did he have anything to say about the rather heavy bleeding of last week?
Hopefully it is history and this is the beginning of your happy ending with this hip.
@danelady

@Layla
Nope! He said everything looked good! The incision has healed well! Ya know what's history? The nightmare that was 2022! I am welcoming a new year and a new start to my retirement. I'll just have to make sure to go easy on both the hip AND the knee and I'm feelin' good about it all.

I really want to thank you all for your support.

Oh my goodness and oh how happy I am for you @danelady !! What a wonderful update but please don't go jumping for joy anytime soon. :froggies:

As for your knee, maybe it will recover enough to buy you some time. It's been through a lot, supporting you while the hip was doing it's temper tantrums. Maybe this rest stage that you are in will get it into a happier place.

Again, so happy you finally received some good news on your progress.

Danelady, I'm a big-time fan of yours and this good news makes me happy. I marvel at all that you've been through and admire your intrepid spirit.

@danelady.....this is the best Christmas gift ever....to know you have finally turned a corner with your hip. Keep that slower pace for a bit longer, though. You have the rest of your life to enjoy your new hip and there is no rush to push a normal level of activity. Both you and your hip have been through a lot and time to completely recover from it all is needed. 2023 is going to be your year!

Thanks to all of you!! I will take the advice you have all given me and follow it precisely. Slowly but surely I hope to regain, maybe not all, but much of my strength and my desire to chase a few hobbies that have been neglected for so long. Like finding my beautiful rocks that come gurgling out of the ground after a heavy rain. Or finally getting my camera out again. This is a migratory route for many different species of birds and I don't even have to get out and walk, my pickup makes a perfect blind out in the field.

Honestly, I am grateful for the support, the kindness and the wisdom I have received here. Just getting off the road and out of the truck was a culture shock in itself, then when my hip went I think I know how Caesar must have felt on the Ides of March....stabbed in the back by my very own hip, one I thought was on my side, lol.

Everything for a reason, they say, and I think I made the right choice when I left. You are correct, Jamie....I have the rest of my life. Bring it on!!

1670039258264.png

Hi Dane Lady - I hope everything has got better for you! No more bleeding episodes.
You deserve a rest from all that. Oh well, dreaded COVID. Yes, I can imagine it was terrible for you. For me it was terrible, too, and like you, I retired just in time (1 year earlier than originally planned) - from my work which was previously fun - like you, I met lots of great people at work and liked talking to them. I worked as a translator for a federal German authority that authorises vaccines and biomedicines. Work suddenly became not so much fun anymore during the pandemic. It was not as bad as with your work, though. Anyway, I worked from home for one more year, then retired in summer 2021.
You may not work as a professional driver in future, but maybe just enjoy travelling by car - feel the long distance, listen to some good music on the radio, explore unknown places, go and see people. I also enjoy long-distance driving more than driving around conjested cities with lots of stops at the lights. Take good care of yourself, let us know how you are getting on and - Happy Christmas season! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

@Constanze My goodness! So many similarities! I went back to Germany after I graduated high school. Actually, I flew to London and hitchhiked north to Edinburgh where I flew to Germany to meet my family.

My mother's family was happy to meet me after so long...at first. Then they were all in a tizzy and I swear I saw their heads spin every time they saw me, lol. What was this girl doing here all alone? How will she live? Pffft! I rented a room and got a job at the Timex factory. I became pretty fluent with that southern German accent they spoke so Timex offered me a job as a translator. It sounded like fun but I wasn't ready to settle down yet, the wanderlust still had a powerful grip on me and after a year I board a train heading south. Somewhere south of Vienna I turned 18 and even farther south I woke and found a chicken sitting in my lap and goats walking the aisle! Eventually I worked my way to Israel and worked on a kibbutz.

Seeing the historical places I studied about in school was so exciting but more importantly, I learned that people are the same all across the globe....they laugh, they cry and if you smile at them they will usually smile back.

There I go ramblin' again, but I thought it was pretty cool that we both retired the summer of 2021, earlier than we originally planned and we both were offered jobs as a translator...which you worked as but I didn't.

Frohe Weihnachten! :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

What an interesting story, @danelady. You've certainly had a colorful life! Okay.....now my connection....I was born in Germany right after the war! My Dad was in the Air Force and stationed in Frankfurt.

@Jamie Hah! So amazing! My father was around 9 when they arrived at Ellis Island from Italy. He enlisted in the Army and while stationed in Germany he met a pretty madchen there and married her....9 months later I popped out. Well, I can't swear it was 9 months, lol.

Took the Covid test and can happily say I don't have it. I guess I have a really bad flu, with no congestion at all, just the horrible body aches, I feel like an 18wheeler drove over me, lol. Thankfully I live alone, I know I wouldn't want to listen to someone moaning and whining every time they moved like I've been doing, lol. My 4 legged baby girl loves me and she knows I'm hurting so that's good.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts