THR I am now bionic

Glad you feel better and are back on your recovery journey. Monday is just around the corner. Have a good week end.

Leejaa don’t know why but I just happened to look at your journey and noticed you are also bionic lol. Just glad as I am sure you were that I have run out of joints below waste to replace. Now if we could only run faster ,jump higher, we could start a new tv series

Glad to hear you're back home and moving about freely. Enjoy the weekend!

Yes, I am totally bionic on lower extremities. When I saw my PC pre op I said this is it no more joints and he said with a twinkle "you do know that they are doing lots of shoulder replacements now also". Luckily, my shoulders although not that of a 20yo are fine so hoping to avoid that surgery in the future.

Thanks Elf . Went to our outlet mall today with wife and bought some Sketchers with good arch support and proceeded to get some walking in on a beautiful sunny ny afternoon. Still getting fluid draining from wound and collecting in my suction cup. See doctor tomorrow and will find out then if he will remove drain or I have to go till it completely quits draining. Aside from this My hip feels really good with just some minor pulling in stitch area but there is no more pain at all. Will continue this saga after doctor visit in hopes it may benefit a future bonesmartie that has similar experience.

Thanks for documenting your progress here. You’re right, it may benefit another one day, plus we like following your journey back to life and living without pain. Best of luck at your appointment tomorrow.
@Softtail

Ok back from doctor and he was torn between pulling drain and leaving it in a bit longer. Finally settled on leaving in for 3 more days with me paying close attention to amount of fluid coming out. I did some research on seroma’s and although rarely a cause for concern ,they can hang on for quite awhile before they disperse slowly in to your system. Aside from the inconvience of having the tube and collection bulb hanging out side of leg, there is no pain at all and no sign of infection , which is my major concern. More to come.

I'm guessing it's better to err on the side of caution just to make sure everything drains properly.

Good deal on getting new shoes, that always helps our gait after surgery. I don't know if I was maybe not lifting my foot when I was walking pre-op or what but had to be very careful with my Skechers when walking on smooth, polished surfaces. My soles would catch quite often and just about throw me forward. Just thought I'd mention it so you can keep an eye out. I haven't noticed it so much since surgery but then again, about the time I could really start getting out and about this nasty COVID hit. And, I am known to be a klutz!

Ok Friday one day post visit with doctor and 29 hours with the drain removed. Doc told me incision was looking good but would leave stitches in for another week before he pulls those. I was still getting about 20 cc’s of fluid every 12 hours, but doc felt this was not a concern. He wants me to keep an elastic bandage on for another week that will help keep pressure on incision area keeping it flat to help keep fluid from creeping back in. Further assured me he felt there was nothing to worry about going forward unless somehow my incision opened up and began seeping. So far it is solidly stitched shut and healing well.
I managed to get a few holes in on golf course today as temp soared to 76 degrees. But similar to the ups and downs temp wise in upstate ny this time of year let’s fast forward to tomorrow where highs are only gonna be in 40’s. Played 6 holes and hip felt great but not having been able to walk much, my legs were a bit rubbery so decided it was time to come home and cut the lawn. Rider of course lol. All in all feeling much better about hip and it really feels good, so just have to let Mother Nature do it’s thing and get some walking time in to build those quads back up.

Nice update, Softail.
I‘m glad you took your rubbery legs home when you did. Taking it slow and easy is wise.
Good news about your incision. It will be nice to have that completely behind you.
Have a great Sunday and week to come!
@Softtail

Happy that things are looking good and you managed to get some golf in. I like that you listened to your body with those rubber legs and went home. Have a great weekend!

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lefty! :yay:
Good luck with the stitches on Friday and until then, I hope you have a great week.
Stay in touch!
@Softtail

Oopsie Daisy....I almost forgot, Righty, Happy One Month yesterday!

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement. My Home PT guy just came and left for the last time. He said he couldn’t believe I was as far along as I am at this point in time ,and that made me feel good. He had me do a few exercises and I told him there was no pain left in my hip other than some soreness around the incision. There is no exercise including full weight bearing that causes me any discomfort at all so I bless my lucky stars . After reading some of the “bigger” problems some others have here I feel a little guilty about how quickly my hip is progressing. Did have the seroma but in the scheme of things that was just a minor bump in the road and did not seem to slow down the overall recovery of hip. I hope my story goes to alleviate some fears of anyone that comes across it , showing that some recoveries can go pretty smoothly even with minor setbacks like I had with seroma.

Glad to hear you are doing well my friend, happy healing!

Ok went to doctor to get stitches removed and get feedback on my fluid retention under incision. He said everything looked great and the swelling had reduced and told me he was certain over time body would reabsorb it. Had to laugh when he said if I was overweight I probably wouldn’t even notice the swelling. I am cleared to pretty much do anything I want ,within reason of course . I am really looking forward to getting back to playing pickleball, and am allready full tilt into golf during this unusually beautiful weather we are having.
I am fully aware my recovery has been quicker than many of my fellow bonesmarties, but I wanted to stay,for the most part, upbeat and let those who are getting ready to have a replacement you can return to many normal activities fairly quickly after it’s done.

I am so happy for you @Softtail. And you do give me hope about returning to normal activities. You have always, through out your posts, been honest, realistic and positive. I appreciate you sharing your recovery journey!

12 to 15 years of living with bad joints is finally behind me. It’s amazing how much of a toll it can take on your muscular system as well. The good news is although I get tired and feel discomfort after I walk for awhile it’s a different kind of pain. If I may be so bold a good pain. A pain I used to feel after a good run. A pain that told me my muscles had a good workout. I am amazed once again in my golden years that pain can be a good thing when it means your body is recovering rather than destroying itself. I hope anyone that has been postponing getting their joints replaced can get some encouragement knowing their is a light at the end of the tunnel once it’s done. A big thank you to all the bonesmarties that have helped thru all my operations and recoveries.

:wave: Happy Wednesday
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
Happy Five Month Anniversary (a day early) Lefty!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy:happydance:Happy:egypdance:Happy Everything! :wink:
@Softtail

Just popping back in to wish happy holidays to everyone and say all is going well. Seroma is just a past memory now, and shot the best round of golf I have had in 12 years yesterday 4 under par a 67.
Only pain I have now is after sleeping all night ,I wake up with my hips and knees in pain ,and a bit stiff. I am wondering if it’s the inactivity our body’s go thru sleeping over night, cause once I am up and take a few steps all is well. I was wondering if any others go thru this routine after sleeping thru the night. ‘Can’t complain since once up and moving I am more mobile than I have been in years, but curious if others have this going on also.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back