THR I am now bionic

Softtail

senior
Country
United States United States
As of the 25th of Sept. I added my fourth joint replacement, my right hip. I am now able to jump small books, faster than a wheelchair and more powerful than a pillow. Operation went great doing anterior method which I was told is the only current procedure where the surgeon can use the computer/ X-ray machine the entire procedure to get implant perfectly placed. Having seen the X-ray of both hip replacements yesterday I would have to agree they look perfectly positioned. Of course time will tell but here it is Saturday night and I can actually walk around the house short distances without walker. I don’t make this a regular practice, but really do not feel like my hip is in any danger of collapse. Very little pain, being controlled with combination of Oxy, Gabapentin, Tylenol and Celebrex. I believe the anterior method where the muscles are not cut but pushed aside contribute to this but of course this is just my opinion. First low key PT today was just walking, heel slides, leg extensions. As with my left hip, I do not feel active PT on hip is not a critical part of my recovery which is the exact opposite of my approach to my knee replacements as can be seen if you were to read my recovery posts on those replacements. Walking regularly and some minor leg lifts and isometrics of quads, thigh and buttocks seem to bring the hip along rather quickly. If recovery goes as left hip will be playing full 18 holes of golf 4 weeks and 3 days from now. One can hope.

Congratulations! I’ll bet you’re breathing a sigh of relief to have this last surgery behind you. It seems you’re doing really well. I’ll leave the Recovery Guidelines once again even though I’m sure you’re familiar. I hope your pain is well managed and I wish you all the best as you begin to heal.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you.
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Softtail, glad to hear you are recovering well post-op. Please note, though, the anterior approach is not the only approach used with computer navigation. Both my hips (3/14/20 and 9/2/20) were computer navigated, posterior. Wishing you a continued good recovery.

Congratulations!!! I am having my right hip done as well Monday.. I will have a different approach, but same result. Very happy to see you are doing well! :egypdance:

Hey anyone have a burning sensation near incision area day 2 after surgery. Happens when I tend to stretch my leg straight. Doesn’t bother me when I walk or sit unless I try to stretch leg out pretty straight. Thought it might be bandage pulling but am hoping I somehow have not pulled interior or exterior glue loose. Just checking to see if any bonesmarties may have experienced this. Have in house nurse coming tomorrow so will ask her too. Thanks. Always get a world of information from this site.

Swim hip I expect you are right but it was my surgeon that told me that the anterior approach was only one that could use machines for total procedure. He does posterior also so I was thinking that there might be a section of posterior approach where he couldn’t rely on it. Posterior is tried and true and we both end up in same place in end, either way He made me feel a bit better when he said it lol.

Hi @Softtail
Good to see you're all fixed up and yes, I did have the burning sensation...sometimes searing.:unsure:
There is a lot of trauma done to that area with the cutting and pulling things out of the way and your leg will appreciate the babying until it catches up.
Nerves in that area are ultra irritated...so shorter stride seemed to help mine.
All temporary ..
I was frantically on Bonesmart worried that something wasn't right and it would happen as I was stretching legs out when walking.

it sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Yes, yes, yes to those random, burny, pains. They pop up in the strangest places, don’t they? Bottom of the good foot, lower back, you name it. Lots of Bonesmarties seem to experience them and ensure us they are temporary, so let’s go with that!

Mojo333and Woodstockhip thank you for your quick response. The feedback here at bonesmart goes a long way in lowering stress reaction to different aches and pains that show up out of the blue. I didn’t think this was abnormal but feedback is always great. Mostly only happens when I try to really stretch out leg but can easily walk without doing this with only minor discomfort. Was just a bit concerned I may have gotten a bit too froggy early on.

@Postalgal Hey good luck on your proceedure and yes pretty much every approach ends up with a great new functioning hip. I believe the newest is called superpath and it may or may not be robotically assisted. I believe they look for new ways to replace hips as technology develops to decrease trauma and decrease healing time. I just liked the anterior approach as I was told they did not have to cut any muscle to perform it. I have had my fair share of muscles cut when knees were done and not a big fan of that. Anyway 6 months from now we will both be running around like a couple of 20 year olds lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Layla thanks for checking in . Yes finally all behind me and can’t wait to get fully healed and see what my body can do with all good joints. Shot 71 even par day before surgery,so hoping adding the final 25% new joint will take me under par. Also should be a lot more mobile on paddleball court. I thought I was pretty good jock, but my roommate in surgical sweet at 81 had his knee replaced so he could get back to his softball team lol. God bless us old folks refusing to let our joints keep us from what floats our boat.

Congratulations! You are now a Double Hippie! Day 2 and you are already talking about your golf game. You are correct, we need to keep moving and enjoying our activities for as long as we can.

Love your attitude.. :yes:

Congratulations on your latest replacement and your journey to reclaiming the joys in your life.

Happy Three Month Anniversary to, Lefty, a day late.
Cant forget about good ol Lefty healing up as it should. You’re on your way.
Have a good one!
@Softtail

Visiting nurse just left and seems as all is well. Still that annoying burning sensation when I stretch leg too far but this just seems to be part of the healing curve. What frustrates you is having gone thru recovery with previous hip and not remembering the burning / pulling sensation during that recovery , it’s easy to develop a little anxiety over different healing sensations. Oh well thankful for little pain at this point and will push myself to let the hip go thru it’s healing pains on its own terms .

it’s easy to develop a little anxiety over different healing sensations.

Yes, this is annoying, but normal. Possibly even more so when you recently had surgery and didn’t experience a particular odd sensation last time. But remember....all recoveries are different, even with the same person.

It could be internal stitches, or nerves spontaneously firing through the regeneration process, which would be a good sign! Try not to worry unless something is escalating in intensity, or frequency. I do recall stressing myself, then realizing the odd sensation I was concerned about was gone...but now replaced with a new one.:gaah:
Frustrating I know, but you just have to roll with it.
You’re doing great and I’m sending wishes for a peaceful evening. :)

@Softtail congrats on the shiny new hip and what sounds to be another awesome recovery! Yes, I had the weird burning feeling as well, always thought I was pulling the stitches out, but I wasnt! Icing often helped calm that feeling as well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom