THR My thigh muscle is too weak

Hey Grammy :wave:
Stopping by to wish you all the best with your psoas release tomorrow. I hope you’re still on schedule. :fingersx: Let us know how it goes...you know where to find us. We’ll be the loud ones on the sidelines cheering for you. :wink:
Hugs
@Grammy57

:happydance: Yay! Will be thinking of you.
Relief is on the way. :thumb:

Well, after a big scare with the insurance, things finally got straightened out and I had the surgery 3 hours later. He didn't tell my husband much but sent a memory stick with pictures and a video. It looks like they cleaned up a lot of scar tissue. Since there was no report that I could read, I'll have to wait for my appointment to know what all was done. I was given a nerve block and I hated it. Very hard to get around yesterday but mostly worn off now. I'm pretty much pain-free or low pain except when I just now coughed and there was a lot of pain down the inner thigh from groin to knee. I sure hope this takes care of everything and I can finally put this behind me. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Wonderful news so far, Grammy! Let’s keep it going. :yes:
Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
Hope the rest of your weekend is sweet!
@Grammy57

@Grammy57 - the hard part is behind you now! I'm glad the pain is low. That was my experience as well. While I didn't have much pain, I found some of the PT to be harder than after my hip replacements. The muscle had atrophied and I was trying to retrain the muscle. With the muscle being longer, my brain would think it was working enough to do something, but it wasn't. Kind of like the opposite of the kid that's gone through a growth spurt knocking over the glass because they reach too far.

Take care and happy healing!

@SaraK Is it normal to have pain in the groin and down my inner thigh? That seems to be the worst if I move wrong.

Hi @Grammy57

Yes, it's normal to have all sorts of aches and pains as you heal because your body is reacting to being rearranged so roughly. I had weird pains popping up for several months, actually. It worried me every time, but now that I've been on the site awhile I realize everyone else is having the same pains that I had been so worried about.

It should work itself out but if it stays too long or gets worse, check with your doctor.

I didn't remember having pain down the inner thigh after my release but did have pain at the groin (where my release was done. It's possible, though, that your leg might have been moved or held in a way during surgery that is causing pain. It's also possible that some of the other muscles aren't use to taking more of an initiative and they get tired and sore more easily. I'd ice wherever it hurts, talk to your PT (if you're seeing one) and give it a bit of time. If it's still hurting in a week or 2 (assuming it's not off the chart, steal your breath away sort of pain) I'd check in with the surgeon. When is your follow up appt?

The weird part is the inner leg pain started before the surgery. It only happens occasionally when I move my leg wrong. It doesn't last long but it hurts like crazy. A burning, sharp pain that starts at the groin and goes down to my knee right where a pants' inseam goes. I have to help lift my leg at times. My post-op is on Thursday and I'll ask more then. I didn't expect this to take so much out of me, but I had my thumb surgery done 5 weeks before this. I'm looking forward to being pain-free and feeling like myself again.

I do hope it all settles down. Do you know what muscle it is - sounds a bit like the sartorius (tailor's muscle). Like the psoas, it is one of the hip flexors. It comes from the hip, crosses the thigh, runs down inner thigh and inserts at the knee. It's involved with flexing and rotating the hip and flexing the knee (like crossing your legs while sitting).

I know that feeling of wanting to finally be pain free! Pain can just wear you down mentally and physically. Others just don't understand.

I would guess it is the sartorius muscle. It hurts mostly just above the knee. It ONLY hurts if I move wrong. The pain doesn't last too long but it really hurts badly when I move wrong. Like it's being torn. Sometimes I need to lift my leg to do things like get into bed or recline on the couch. I'm hoping for answers tomorrow. I can deal with this if it eventually quits hurting. I'm ready to get on with my life. I'm tired of being tired.:)

Aww, I hope you get answers tomorrow, Grammy. Wishing you speedy relief and some restorative rest.
Hope this day is a good one. :)
@Grammy57

Well, the Dr didn't seem to k6 months
now why my leg was hurting. He said give it some time. My OT wondered if it could be a pinched nerve. I got my 'script for PT. I will see how it goes. I see the Dr again in

Well, the Dr didn't seem to k6 months
now why my leg was hurting

Your surgeon didn’t have an answer?

I hope PT doesn’t aggravate whatever you have going on, but helps instead. Take it slow, Grammy.

When do you see your OS again?

Wishing you a peaceful weekend!

No, I was very disappointed in my check up appointment He didn't even look under the bandage. He basically just told me what was done and if PT didn't help he'd look into it? He rushed in and out so fast I didn't realize the appointment was over. I am waiting to hear back from PT as they told me my insurance only lets me have therapy on one area at a time and I'm just finishing up on my thumb from cmc suspensionplasty surgery. I am just taking it slow and plugging on. I am finally starting to feel more; normal.

I’m sorry you were unhappy with your visit. If you have to return anytime soon, you may have to be more assertive with him, asking him to take a peek under your bandage for your peace of mind. I’d also write down any / all questions and have your list visible so he see and understands you want some answers from him.

Hopefully PT helps, but if it doesn’t after a reasonable amount of time, I’d schedule another visit, or a phone call to a member of your surgeons care team for advice on next steps.

I hope things start looking up soon. :SUNsmile:
@Grammy57

I agree. It just all happened so fast I didn't realize he had left the room for good at first. I will definitely keep on top of this as it really hurts when I mess up. Even a sneeze can cause that pain. I'm being careful and trying to keep the balance of not too much or too little activity.

Ugh. That has happened to me a couple of times with my surgeon. Makes you feel important, doesn't it? (sarcasm)

I hope your PT listens and can help.

Keep us updated. :) :-) (:

I started PT today. I learned my new hip lengthened my leg a bit. I also learned my back muscles were stronger than expected but the front thigh muscles are quite week. The burning sensation is the overuse of that muscle that goes down the inside of my thigh is VERY tight. She said the facia is also tight. She spent a lot of time checking my range of motion and then she used her tool to help loosen the tightness and get the blood flowing. I think this is going to be a good thing.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom