THR My thigh muscle is too weak

Thank you. My biggest problem is not knowing myself when it is too much. I don't feel extra tired when I'm doing things, it's the next day I seem to be extra tired. Yesterday I attended church twice, we have Sunday School and Morning worship and then Evening worship. Today I am extra tired but not as much as last week when I only went to the morning services. The PA at my post-op check did say to plan at least 6 weeks before resuming normal activities. I appreciate all the encouragement here. You all are wonderful. :)

I'm sorry you're feeling so tired today. It's such early days at only 25 days post op. I guess it takes trial and error to realize what your limits are and with your situation being in flux it can be difficult to find that perfect balance of rest vs activity. Possibly attending church only once on Sunday may work better until you've regained more strength and stamina. You'll get there!
When resuming activities at six weeks, I'd advise you slowly ease into it to avoid any setbacks.
Wishing you a nice Monday and a good week.
May your New Year be blessed!
@Grammy57

Just sharing something I learned the hard way with my first hip in 2017 and my knees in 2013. There is no magic number like 6wks and your body suddenly does not get tired or does not ache once in a while, The doctors use the weeks as a gauge on when you can start to do things but we still need to listen to our bodies and use common sense not to overdo and cause other strains on our recovering muscles and tissues. Increase slowly and you might find you still need to ice once in a while if you overdo like most of us have at some point.

Have a wonderful 2020 New Year without pain full of peace.

:hi: Hello and a Happy Sunday to you!
It's a special day...your one month anniversary. :happydance: I hope it's a good one.

Please leave us an update when you have time, we'd love to hear how you're doing since you last posted.
A great week to you!
@Grammy57

Thank you, everyone. So, an update: My thigh is still numb and the top and side are tender like it's bruised. This tends to make sleeping difficult at times. I am taking Tylenol off and on but not regularly. I still feel very slightly off-balance, i.e. my operated leg feels ever so slightly longer. But today I had a new pain, my hipbone from the front edge to the side, burns. I'm not sure why and it's not horribly painful but noticeable. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good. I am doing most of my normal activities, I don't lift heavy things yet and I can only move my leg in certain directions without pain but I am ONLY 1 month out so I'm not concerned. Overall, I feel like I am healing well. I have to remind myself at times that I had MAJOR surgery and to expect to take some time to heal.

I hope all of you are doing well. I appreciate you asking about me.

Happy One Month Anniversary! It is amazing all the weird little things that pop up during recovery. And just about the time you really start to wonder about them, they go away and something new takes its place.

Another update. I am almost at 6 weeks. My daughter and grandson moved in last week for a few weeks until she marries. She sold her house and had to be out. Anyway, even though she's an RN, she seems to forget I've had surgery. So, I've learned to tell her "I need to rest now" as she's wanting me to help with her dress and I am now doing most of the cooking and laundry. She helps with the general cleaning and her son is no problem, he's a Jr in HS and pretty much cares for himself. But, the last couple of days, when I get really tired, it's all I can do to keep from crying. I'm sure it's just from being tired. I am learning to tell her "I can't". I am sleeping better and mostly off all pain meds. The numbness is slowly leaving but my ROM is still quite limited. Some movements cause pain and it's weird because it's usually when I move my non-operated leg that the other side hurts. I haven't figured that out yet. But, as I said, I'm learning to take breaks because I'm sure I was doing too much. Thanks and have a great day.

Hello Grammy57
I'm sorry you're feeling a little down.
You have a lot going on and it sounds like you're struggling with some Post Op Blues - Please know it's only temporary.

In addition, you're dealing with Energy Drain since you're only six weeks post op from a major surgery. Your body is using energy first to heal, not leaving much energy for all else -

I'm betting you find it difficult to stand your ground with your daughter, because you said "I'm learning to tell her, I can't"
If you are able to print out the following and hang it on the fridge, it may help her have a better understanding of where you are in your recovery. It's a good reminder for you also -

You may need to have a heart to heart with her and explain that not only are you adjusting to this temporary situation (she and grandson staying there) but that you're extremely tired, suffering discomfort at times and recovering from major surgery. I can't imagine she wouldn't respect that.

Please take the time to get the rest / sleep you need and take breaks to ice any areas that still cause pain.

Wishing you comfort and peace.
@Grammy57

Oh @Grammy57 I know what you mean. The young ones can’t fathom that the older ones, really have anything wrong, because they have never experienced the type of pain we have had to go through. It’s just not in their thoughts. In their minds we are going to always be there and always be healthy. :whistle:
RN or not, she is young, your daughter.

My advice is set up rest times, written down, and review them with your daughter, and tell her what you need help with. Which nights does she cook and clean up? Any possibility of a pizza night with grandson making the salad? Your home is not a vacation home, it’s a surgery recovery home, and you have to remember you are still a patient, not just a parent. A good time for daughter and grandson to start learning how to be caregivers, as you age.

Get them started now. My mom did this with me, and it made me a stronger, more confident caregiver, for her and her older sister.

Grandson should be a great help at stripping and making the beds, too.

You deserve the help.

I have a new question. I am having trouble with my leg bent in a sitting position for any length of time (this includes sleeping on my side). It aches a lot at the very top of my thigh, the crease. If I get up and move around it helps for a bit. But being on my feet too long isn't good either. Is this normal? Sometimes the pain goes into my groin but this is mostly at night, in bed. I can tolerate the pain but it is annoying. I have about 2 more weeks until my next appointment. I may be expecting too much or trying too hard. I'm not used to this. The last time I had surgery this serious was in 2003 and I was a LOT younger. :loll: I appreciate all the support and advice I have been given. Thank you all.

Hi @Grammy57
I remember the discomfort where you describe and it did hang about for some months.
I tried to do some easy does it massage on this area and honestly don't know if that helped or if the passage of time was the true healer.

I was too tentative to try alot of the more aggressive stretches but felt more confident when I was over 3 months post op and went to some PT training for gait issues and was given some stretches to address the tightness and pain.
The one I remembered helping most was lying on the table (at home, on the bed) and sliding behind close to the edge while letting my leg slowly and gently hang over to stretch that muscle.

@Mojo333 Thank you so much. I do think I'm healing. It seems that new pains come out of the blue and that old pain leaves just as quickly. I will try that exercise. I've done it before the surgery and it did help. I am sleeping better. The scar tissue seems very tight and I try to massage it slightly/lightly. I still feel a bit "off gait" like the leg is still slightly longer, but it's a come and go thing.

Just stopping by to say hello @Grammy57 Much of what you are describing sounds very familiar. A few weeks behind you. My knee especially gets stiff in almost any position I hold. Moving around always helps. Maybe circulation. Hope things are working out with your daughter and grandson.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope you're having a good week so far. Best wishes for your upcoming appointment. If you feel like sharing, let us know how it goes.
Until next time... :wave:
@Grammy57

Sorry this is so late, it is hectic here with my daughter's wedding coming up in less than 10 days now. But, I did have my check-up. The PA said I was doing very well but I had a lot of inflammation. Because of this, she prescribed Diflucan. I was amazed at how much better I felt even after the first dose. I am now sleeping better with less, a LOT less, pain. I take this for 1 month and I have another check-up in mid-March, the 18th if I remember correctly. She also prescribed PT but I'm doing so much better with the Diflucan I'm not sure I will go. The PA knew I wasn't crazy about going and suggested going for a couple of visits to learn some exercises. I may do that next week but I'm not sure.

Hi @Grammy57 I'm so glad to catch up on your thread and read about your post op follow up appt. it sounds like it is indeed inflammation and the medication is helping. Hurrah!
I like the sound of going and learning the exercises to do at home. There seems to be a fine line where the exercises are helpful and no so helpful.
I found, with the most recent THR that only a few repetitions were plenty and I would stop as soon as I felt the muscle tiring or a twinge. Sometimes that meant only doing 3!
I wish the best in your continued healing.

Thank you. I do feel I am doing better. @CricketHip , the PA said to do the exercises until I reached level 5 for pain. No way, I will do like you, when I feel it, I will stop. I'm afraid that this let it hurt thing will only set me back. I will go to PT next week. Then I won't be stressed by the upcoming wedding. Thanks for the encouragement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom