THR I am home :)

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
United States United States
@Layla ,
Thank you. I'm sore but ok. My knee took the brunt of it and it's sore and has a knot for now. It was embarrassing also, glad it was at home. :)

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
I am just back from seeing my OS. He says I have inflammation in both the bursa and I can't remember what he called it but it seems like he said a tendon at T4(?) (that reminds me of spines) Anyway, they injected near the bursa and said to keep a close watch on how well it helps. If it doesn't help or not enough the next step is a guided injection in the front where it hurts. It basically hurts from the edge of my hip bone, right in front and extends just into the groin area. Yesterday I had 2 incidences of shifting my weight and it felt like a pop or something. I mentioned this also as it hadn't happened before or since. The PA (I saw both PA and DR) called it hip snap (?) though I can't find any information on that. I go back in 3 1/2 weeks.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hoping the injection helps so you don't have to go through more. Maybe the pop or something you felt was a tendon or muscle sliding across bone? I've had something similar in both my op hip and non op hip when doing certain moves.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Hi, @Grammy57 What you’re describing sounds like what I experienced. Mine was diagnosed as iliopsoas tendinitis. That is a muscle (actually 2 that act basically as one) that comes over the front part of the hip to your femur. Unfortunately, its tendon can rub the cup prosthesis and cause the tendon to become irritated (tendinitis.) I had trouble with flexing my op leg to go up stairs, get into the car, etc. I also started tripping more because my brain would say “you cleared that obstacle” when my leg hadn’t. The worst was I fell up the stairs at work and landed on me knees on the hard landing. My knee and leg were sore for a couple of days. The other sensation I had was like a rubber band sliding across the front of my hip which would cause the groin pain to ramp up for a while. The injection relieved all of this for 2 weeks. That relief gave the definitive diagnosis that it was indeed IP tendinitis. Since it was short-lived, I proceeded with IP tendon release for correction and pain relief. So you’re at the beginning of a process that may take some time and sleuthing. Hopefully, you will get lasting relief from the injection and that will fix it. There is plenty of information out there, even some here in the library. You can also search here under iliopsoas. There are a few of us that can help you along the way. Just let us know. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Elf1 So far the bursa trochanter injection received today is making the groin pain worse but I was told it would take about 2 days. The bursa really only hurts when touched or after I've been sitting awhile and calms down after moving about. The groin pain is mostly at night, lying in bed but sometimes in the daytime also. No real rhyme or reason that I see for that pain. I do hope they figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The injections can take a while to work unfortunately but will keep fingers crossed you get some relief. Have you tried either icing or heat for the night time pain, could be worth a shot.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Hip4life yes, that sounds like it. I also fell not quite a week ago. Full force on my left knee (left THR) on my hardwood floor. My knee is still very sore and bruised. So much so that at the appointment I had to pull my pant leg up over my knee as the bending he was asking me to do caused my pants to press on my knee and it hurt. Is it the guided injection for your tendon that lasted 2 weeks? I know they are hoping the injection for the bursa will help the groin pain. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Elf1 Yes, I've tried ice but not heat. It's kind of hit or miss when the pain, the intensity, and duration of it.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
I’m so sorry you fell so hard. I’m lucky I was on the top step and fell up only a short ways. Yes. The site was numbed up first. Then the doc injected a steroid mixed with some anesthetic (like a novacaine) guided by ultrasound. Mine was done in the office but it was done by a different OS that specialized in this. It’s amazing how specialized orthopedics can be. It would be nice if the bursa injection helped your groin pain. We’ll keep our fingers crossed. I had some mild bursitis on the outside of my hip as well but for me that seemed to be a separate issue from the tendinitis. I’m glad to help since I was becoming increasingly frustrated as my groin pain continued. The members here helped me immensely as I navigated a solution. Happy to pay it forward. Pat.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
This is the assessment I was sent from yesterday's visit. Do you think, in your opinion, that a guided injection would help any of these problems?
The following list includes any diagnoses that were discussed at your visit.
1. History of total hip arthroplasty
• diclofenac sodium 75 mg tablet,delayed release
• XR, hip + pelvis, unilateral, 2 or 3 view
2. Strain of flexor muscle of left hip
3. Iliotibial band friction syndrome
4. Trochanteric bursitis of left hip
• methylprednisolone acetate 40 mg/mL suspension for injection

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
Well, I just looked up #2 and #3 and neither one seems to match the groin pain I have. How discouraging. I have an ache in the groin, mainly at night, and when I'm sitting, not moving. Well, I'll follow the plan and see what happens at the end of the month.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Hip4life

graduate
Country
Hi @Grammy57 I agree that you need (and frankly, it’s easier) to follow your current plan.
I think a good number of THR patients are affected by IT band and bursitis issues, at least as is posted on the forum. I still can experience soreness in those areas especially when ramping up any exercises but it is short lived with icing, etc. I never had any pain there bad enough except to mention it to my OS in passing and for thoroughness. He would give simple suggestions which seemed to always work.
It was the groin pain that interfered in my daily activities and limited my exercise capabilities. It was definitely the hip flexor (iliopsoas.) The hard thing about these issues is that they don’t always hurt, they may not always “snap” (mine was more of a slide,) and could be caused by something completely separate.

However, the consistency of pain with movements or situations helps begin to narrow it down. OSs start with conventional non surgical treatment in continuation of the search for a definitive diagnoses. Process of elimination sometimes. At each stage, you’ll have options. Everyone involved hopes the simplest solutions are the answer. If not, then you decide whether to go on to the next, and maybe a more invasive, step. Other diagnostic tests can be used, etc., etc.
Again, my path was pretty linear because it was fairly clear what my issue was but it did take some time to work through to each step. My hope is that you will find a solution as quickly as possible because I’m sure you are pretty tired of the pain at this point. You’re going to need some faith in the process and a whole lot more of patience. I’m here if you need me. ❤ Pat

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Jaycey , Thank you. I didn't mean to be asking for medical advice, though I see it sure looked like it. Thanks for the articles. So far, the injection has helped if not alleviated the pain. I'm hopeful this will fix it. Again, thank you and I'm sorry.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
@Hip4life , Thank you. So far, the injection is helping. It helps enough that I can live with this. I hope it keeps on working. I haven't been able to get back to my regular routine of a walk or bike ride daily as it's been raining for the past 3 days. I'm hoping I will be able to do all my normal things again. Like I said, for now, so far so good. Again, thank you.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Grammy57 No problem!

You just had the injection. These things can take awhile to ease. Give it a few days and do try icing when you can. Fingers crossed you are one of the lucky members who see a good result.

OP
OP
G

Grammy57

Country
Well, I had so much hope for the injection, but the groin pain returned last night, waking me. So, I'll continue the anti-inflammatory that was prescribed until my next appointment and see what happens next.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
So sorry the injection didn't seem to work @Grammy57 . Let us know what your surgeon says about next steps.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
RubiJane
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom