I am having surgery Monday, June 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklyn

Country
United States United States
Hi. My name is Debbie. I have been on this forum before for my TKR. This forum helped me so much I couldn't say thank you enough to everyone. Well now I am back again. I am having a total hip replacement on my right side Monday. I am nervous because I know kinda what to expect, from my knee surgery. My problem right now is I cannot sleep. I get three hours if I am lucky a night. I cannot get comfortable and when I move I get pain. Even tried melotinon and Nyquil ZZZ. They dont even make me tired. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
@brooklyn Welcome back to Bonesmart. Your surgery is scheduled a day before mine. Can you call your doctor to see if they can prescribe you something safe so that you can sleep prior to surgery? I have no suggestions for sleep other than what you have already mentioned, but I am sure others will come along and offer some answers and support. So far, I have been ok in the sleep department and I hope to remain that way.

Hi Debbie - have you tried tylenol PM? it doesn't do much for me, but I know some have had success with it. I am about a week behind you for surgery. Had my pre-op today and was told I could take low-dose vicodin during that last week if absolutely necessary for sleep. I am going to try to tough it out, but sleep is important and I will take it if necessary. Good luck with your surgery.

@brooklyn Welcome back to BoneSmart! Unfortunately there is really nothing that will touch that pre-op hip pain. Nap if you can during the day. Luckily your date is soon. Roll on Monday!

Yes nap as Jaycey indicated, ever little bit helps - not long now :)

Hi Debbie. I am up for my right side on Friday. Glad you came back. I just found this forum a few weeks prior and I am so thankful. I wish I could help with your sleep but I haven't the knowledge. I do know that I will be pulling for you!

@brooklyn I had the same sleep issues. If I took Benadryl (same ingredient as in Tylenol PM) I could maybe get 4 hours. Plus I was also having hot flashes from menopause. Every time I moved it hurt so I would wake up. It got worse the week before surgery when I went off of ibuprofen ( my pain reliever of choice).

I am 2 weeks post op and can sleep about seven or eight hours at night with a bathroom break in the middle. My hot flashes/night sweats are worse, but my doc just told me that my blood thinner (Xarelto) causes that, so I have a double whammy, but I know it will get better in a few weeks. The great news is that my old pain is gone, so I don't wake up every time I move, but I'm still in the healing phase so my muscles are readjusting and it takes a while to find a comfortable sleep position. Life does get better after surgery, and every day and night I feel improvement.

Sorry, I don't have a miracle cure for you, just encouragement. It's definitely worth it- hang in there!:yes:

Puppylove- I have the hot flash thing going on too. This is bad. LOL 7 or 8 hours of sleep sound like heaven to me. Glad you are done with it. I cannot imagine moving with pain. Thanks for the encouragement. I knew I would find great people on this website. Everyone here helped me with my Knee.

I've used Lunesta for many years for sleep issues. Works great, no side effects, and I was told I could keep on using it if I wanted to do so the night before and the night after surgery. I choose to get off it last week just to make one less pill I'll need to take while in the hospital (It does take a few restless nights to wean off long term use of Lunesta)

When I refiled the prescription last time I was given a generic for Lunesta. There was no co-pay for the generic. I was paying $40 per month for the Lunesta.

Poppet- Thank you. I think I bookmarked it. I am still trying to figure out how to use this website.

@brooklyn.....Sleeping pre op is so difficult with the pain and anxiety that little helps. However, once the op is over do try the bananas as per @Poppet ...It has made a real difference to my sleeping patterns.....I've never been a good sleeper but I find eating a banana before bedtime made me generally sleepy and allowed me to relax. Good luck for Monday!! You will be do glad you had it done....no more bone on bone pain....! Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Debbie, just a few more days and you'll be on the other side. Saturday is my last day for pain meds before my June 10 surgery, and I'm not looking forward to those last 10 days. I've warned family, friends and co-workers not to expect too much of me in the "nice" department next week.

Debbie, just a few more days and you'll be on the other side. Saturday is my last day for pain meds before my June 10 surgery, and I'm not looking forward to those last 10 days. I've warned family, friends and co-workers not to expect too much of me in the "nice" department next week.
Do they require you to get off all meds? I was allowed to keep taking tramadol and tylanol, but had to stop the methotrexate and celebrex

I have to be off Celebrex and all NSAIDs. I can take Tylenol which does nothing for my pain, unfortunately. I can take a low-dose of vicodin, but have been avoiding narcotics in general at the recommendation of my OS. If I absolutely have to, I'll take the vicodin at night to help me sleep. Sleep is my biggest concern for that last stretch going into surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks