I am a RNY Gastro Bypass and I have PBC, YIKES!

bashbago

Country
United States United States
This is my second time around. I had RTKR almost ten years ago I am scheduled for LTKR August16. I am concerned about pain control after surgery. I had gastric bypass surgery three years ago, and was diagnosed with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis ( a liver disease ). No I am not a heavy drinker :) . Between the two, Nsaids are not allowed and they prefer that I do not take Tyelenol. My OS did not think this would be a problem. I will have a further discussion with him at my preop appointment. Will also will have a discussion prior to that with my Gastroentrologist. Anyone out there have similar problems?

I had a gastric sleeve and cannot take oral NSAIDS, but I can take topical gels/cream NSAIDS, which have worked well for me pre-op. Directly post op, I expect I'll be on narcotics and Tylenol. When the incision heals, I. Should be able to go back to my topicals. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

It is not essential to take NSAIDs after a TKR and they are not particularly effective after knee replacements at controlling either inflammation or pain, so no problems there. I can't take NSAIDs either, for a different medical reason, and that hasn't affected my recoveries at all.

I agree that a plan for controlling your post-op pain should be discussed with your surgeon before you have the surgery. It's true that Tylenol is processed through your liver, but many other drugs are as well. It could be a good idea to contact the doctor dealing with your biliary cirrhosis, to ask if he/she can suggest pain killers for you. Maybe, your surgeon and this doctor can make a pain control plan for you in consultation with each other?

We do have this short article in the library with a recommendation by someone else with cirrhosis:
Pain medications: alternatives for those with liver issue

Thanks @Ruby9297 and @Celle. The personal experience and the info from Cyborg Grandma helped. Frankly, I was really worried that I would be in a pain Limbo with few option for relief.

You could also use Fentanyl patches which are quite effect, thereby for the most part, bypassing both stomach and liver.

Thanks, Josephine. I am going to write all the information down so that I can discuss it with my doctors.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back