THR I’m so overwhelmed HELP

Good Morning :wave:
Hopefully the last two responses put your mind at ease. I will add that I didn’t have any bruising on my very stiff and sore knee...until I did! Mine was first noticeable on day seventeen post op. It was similar to yours and like you, I was concerned. It is shocking to wake up to new bruising a couple weeks out. You can’t help but wonder what you did wrong. I was reassured at my first post op days later that it was all part of the process.
Have a great Thursday!
@Nchiodo

Thank you Layla. Everyday I think I’m getting more paranoid about this healing process. I didn’t even know bruising could show up weeks later. Thank god for this website. Today is day 17 post op. Groin discomfort is now on this weeks hit list. I’ve been walking around the house, resting, elevating, icing. And still have groin discomfort. Am I doing to much?

If you're just walking around the house a bit and making sure to rest, ice and elevate it's probably not too much. Unfortunately recovery doesn't ever seem to go in a straight line. This drawing kind of shows how crazy recovery can be.
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

I love the analogy. How true it is. I have question, I often get UTI’s. going forward now with my new hip if I do get a UTI after having a urine culture done am I able to take antibiotics for it.

I do believe so, definitely don't want any infection going unattended in your body, anywhere. But please check with your doctor on this.

If you get a UTI, you should definitely take antibiotics, prescribed as appropriate for what the culture shows.

Thank you so much for your rapid response.

@Nchiodo I still have swelling in my left ankle (I'm 5 weeks post surgery today) so I wear my compression stocking on that leg and I rest ice elevate after exercise. It is going down v slowly but surely I'm just learning to be patient!

Best
JJ

Groin discomfort is now on this weeks hit list.

I think we all worried about every new sensation or discomfort we experienced early on. I’m sure you’re already realizing most of these instances are fleeting. Often one pain is replaced by another. Unless something is increasing in frequency and intensity, try to just roll with it. Keep your mind occupied, stay in touch here for support and have a lovely weekend!

Thank you Layla I’m finding that out. I think your do scared in the beginning about doing something so wrong. I’m starting to feel stronger everyday. I’m taking my little milestones as a win. It definitely is a journey. 18 days down!!

I’m 3 weeks out from my THR and I also having groin discomfort. I suffered tremendously with groin pain pre surgery and the pain is nothing like that it more of a discomfort, pulling type pain. I’ve been applying ice on it but now I’m wondering if I should be putting heat instead. When getting into bed I was no longer using the leg lift but I’m going to start again. I’m not doing any leg exercises that bend right now. Any advice would be welcomed. Thus journey has been challenging for me.

Groin pain is common this early in your recovery.
You made a good decision to use your leg lift aid to help ease the stress on your new hip.
Try to rest as much as you can, this too, shall pass.
I wonder about your exercises, too.
I recall trying the simplest of the recommended exercises and they caused my pain/soreness as you described.

Good morning the exercises I’ve been doing are ankle pumps, isometric Quad sets, Gluteal sets, Terminal Knee Extensions, and Heel Slides. In bed at night I have a pillow in the middle and two pillows on each side of me with my legs on to slightly elevate (cuz my legs did not like just laying flat on the bed so) so when you look at me my legs form a V when I sleep. Also when I walk I’m starting to take shorter strides so I don’t stretch my groin. I go down and up 14 stairs twice a day. When I get up from a chair I put my surgical leg straight out heel down and use other leg to get up. Hopefully I’m doing everything right. If not please let me know.

That’s a lot of exercises! Would you consider giving it a rest for a full week and see how you feel? The walking is so beneficial and it’s too early for those exercises to give you any benefit.
I would bet that if you held off for a week, you’d feel and see much progress. :console2:

Thanks for your advice. I will do that and just chill this week. I’ll continue walking slowly. Maybe doing this will calm this groin down. Think it’s really angry with me.

Taking smaller steps should help the groin pain as will using a leg lifter. Giving the hip some TLC is always helpful when it is letting us know it is not happy. Have a peaceful evening.

Please keep in mind the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines. In case you haven’t made it through all of the articles, it reads as follows -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Also, continue to ice any areas of discomfort several times per day for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice. Hopefully you’ll notice improvement soon.
Wishing you comfort!
@Nchiodo

Well today I’m 25 days post op from THR. My life for those days have been icing, elevating, walking a little, ankle pumps, recliner to bed, then repeat. I’ve experienced post op blues, slight depression, counting days, slight discomfort, Tylenol plus Aleve. Now today I’m having pain right on my waistline on the surgical side. It’s kinda like a side ache type of pain. I also have a lot of swelling on the side and buttocks. The swelling is not going down into my legs or ankle just thigh, stomach, and buttocks I’m surgical side. Weather has changed in my area it has become very damp, cold and raining. Just wondering if that could be causing some of this discomfort. I’m meeting with my surgeon on Thurs Oct 1. For my first follow up since surgery. I am losing my patience and totally becoming restless. This has been a very very long month for me.

All three of my replacements happened in the winter so I didn't experience a change of weather in that direction but it makes sense that inflamed tissues would react to a change in weather every bit as much as an arthritic joint and I sure experienced that. Ice :ice:those areas that are swollen and do your best to exercise your patience muscle, you aren't a full month into a 12-18 month recovery. A few months from now you will barely remember this part as you get your life back. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back