THR I’m so overwhelmed HELP

Oh, yes! The first week or so can be so overwhelming. If you don’t have any concept of this surgery and recovery, you can get blindsided. But you’re truly on the healing side which you wouldn’t have been without the surgery. You will settle into a routine which will include more and more of the normal gradually. Be kind and patient with yourself and your hubby. Let your body do what it does best all by itself: heal. Just rest, move a little regularly, ice, elevate, and medicate as needed. It’s hard to get out of your own way sometimes especially when we put such high expectations on ourselves. Layla gave you some great distractions. This is not going to happen overnight but it will happen. I think you will be very pleased and proud of yourself for taking the leap of faith to get back to a better life. Slow and steady and we’ll be right with you all the way. ❤️

Good morning @Nchiodo
Hope you have found some comfort here. I have replaced each hip Left in 2015 & right 2018. Bonesmart held my hand before & after surgery. You’ll find That the advisors here have the best info. I read & reread everything throughout my recovery to confirm what I was going through. I did treat my recovery as if I were a baby needing care around the clock. To do this I used my iPhone to wake me every 3 1/2 hrs. For muscle spasms I found Gatorade worked wonders. I signed up for visiting nurse and she was great w hints for comfort. This was set up through my surgeons office. So it was meds, eat, pee, Bonesmart, sleep for the first 2 1/2 weeks. And you will get used to sleeping on you back. ~ wcgirl

It will be alright....i too hobbled this path 1 month ago. You will get better each day; you will see small improvements each day. Know that this will pass. I'm 1 month out....freely walking. It was only 2 weeks ago I was wearing pressure cuffs and couldn't get a good night's sleep. Be patient...you will be alright.

@Nchiodo Are you icing that groin area. If you are getting spasms ice will help ease them. Ice for 45-60 minutes per session several times per day. Be sure and put something between your skin and the ice pack.

I'm so sorry your surgeon neglected to set your expectations about this recovery. We see this all the time. Now you know why BoneSmart was created!

Hi Jaycey
So the groin spasm’s are normal? I can’t thank you enough for your support and advice. I am so fortunate to have found BoneSmart. Everyone and the site is saving my sanity through this crazy journey. Yes I think the Doc’s are very good at doing the surgery but definitely lack the post story. A million thank you’s to the person that developed this site. I’m not as scared any longer with all my angels in my corner day or night. ❤️

So the groin spasm’s are normal?
Yup - there are all sorts of aches and pains that are a part of this recovery. You are only days out of major surgery. Take it slow and steady. You'll get there!

Thank you for your support Hip4life. This is a journey that definitely needs support of others that have walked this path before me. I appreciate everything.
Nancy

@Nchiodo I see you've met some of the other Bone Smarties and are getting great advice and support. You have definitely come to the right place! Happy to see you're feeling a little better today. It does get better, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, there will be good days and bad but it's all temporary. :friends:

Hi Elf1
Your right it’s 80 degrees outside and I’m freezing. I’ve got a heavy blanket on course my favorite BFF Ice and I’m cold. I’m not running a fever so I’m guessing it’s just part of the healing process what to you think?

Nancy

Thinking of you Nancy and sending lots of healing vibes your way.
Post op is definitely a traumatic experience if you are already a sensitive soul, or find yourself feeling vulnerable and sensitive.
I found I coped better taking it just one day at a time... and sometimes just one breathe at a time.
Sometimes I would even just visualise myself walking effortlessly and gracefully along the beach.
And yes validating that my experience was normal was so powerful too.
And patience smatience healing does take time.
Ps. ICE was my BFF too.......it was a life saver.

Hi Elf
You’ve helped me out with all my concerns and questions and now I have another question
I’m 6 days out from THR and today is the first day I cannot get warm. I’ve been covered up all afternoon in a blanket and its 75 degrees out. I’m not running a fever but I’m chilled to the bone. Is this part of the healing process or could I have an infection brewing.
Thank you
Nancy

Hi Elf1
Your right it’s 80 degrees outside and I’m freezing. I’ve got a heavy blanket on course my favorite BFF Ice and I’m cold. I’m not running a fever so I’m guessing it’s just part of the healing process what to you think?

Nancy
Hi Nancy I froze for weeks after my first hip, and it was 80 in the room I spent most of my time in! I wore a sweater at all times, and had a quilt for my whole body, and a fleece throw for whatever wanted it. The second hip was not quite so bad-- I spent most of my time on the sunporch, where it was a sauna, so while I did have the same sweater, it was on and off, and the ceiling fan was augmented by a big Vornado on the floor. July in central Virginia. Best time to heal-- too hot to do any over-ambitious walking, but the roads are guaranteed clear lol!
The ice definitely chilled me, and it took me a while to give in to my desire to eat whenever I wanted. The food helped. Except the ice cream, of course....

Take a big deep breath!! You're experiencing what most of us have gone through. Your body was traumatized, this operation is like a planned car wreck. It's going to take time and a lot of concentrating on what your body needs to get through this as easily as possible. Diet is a big part of the recovery along with the rest. I paid a lot of attention to what foods would help my body build itself back along with staying well hydrated. I had a pretty god understanding about the recovery from my OS and his staff but even with all of that it was still full of daily surprises. The big deep breath thing is an important part of recovery too, good to practice good breathing while sitting. They gave me a spirometer after both hips.

Thanks so much for responding you guys. I’m just not sure what is normal expectations and when I should be concerned. I’m freaking myself out. Tomorrow I get to take my bandages off and even that is freaking me out. Sheesh I’m real think of going crazy over this THR. I don’t want to screw it up. Even though its only 7 days out I still feeling this craziness and I’m never like this. I’m a strong woman who is never scared or uptight. I’ve even conquered breast cancer 28 yrs ago. Mastectomy couldn’t even stop me. But this THR stopped me in my tracks.

Temperature issues can occur after surgery, but I encourage you to call your surgeon all the same.
ell the person who answers that you have a concern that you're having chills or fevers and that you want to make sure everything is OK. They'll get back with you. All kinds of strange sensations and aches and pains happen after surgery but the chills are the one symptom that I would want to report.

Again, hopefully this is nothing, but you want to err on the side of calling this in to the surgeon first thing! Chills will get their attention and you can mention your other issues. And you can ask about expectations. Often it's the nurse or the PA who does this part of the patient work--the communication work. But they're acting under the authority of the surgeon and have lots of experience to know when someone requires you to come in or not.

Your surgery is just one day behind mine. I've had two knee replacements so feel I was prepared for what was ahead, and STILL, I had a day of tears, impatience with my husband, and feeling just so down. It was short lived and hopefully yours will be too. Pain is very trying and it's hard to have a positive outlook when you are in the throes of it. The acute pain for me has already started to abate and the world looks a lot brighter. I'll be checking if you are doing better tomorrow.

Getting in and out of bed is tough - can you sleep elsewhere where you can get more comfortable? A couch or recliner? I try to time my meds so I'm as comfortable as possible at bedtime so that usually allows me to at least get a few hours in before I need more meds. And I don't try to sleep without ice.

Again, for me the first few days were really hard, but you should be starting to see improvement very soon.

Our ages are almost the same and we're only one day apart for our surgeries and both had our right hip replaced! Let's be cheerleaders for each other - that might help? Not sure though there's room for me to join the cheerleader squad - a lot of people are looking out for you!

Last edited:
Gimpygal there definitely is room in this squad for you. Let’s follow each other’s story and experience since are surgery is so close together. Thank you for sharing. Isn’t this just a wonderful forum. Good luck on your recovery also. Hugs my new Gimpy Gal friend.

Here we go another night in the recliner with a spasm groin acting up can’t seem to stop it with ice Exactly one week out today from THR wondering why in the hell did I have the surgery. Husband in bed angry from me calling him to please get me more ice. I’m absolutely miserable tonight. Can’t find a position to sit in to calm groin and leg down. I hate this journey.

I’ll trade the Charley Horse in my butt for your groin pain for just an hour. How about it? May or may not make us feel a bit better. Why do these unrelated areas give us such grief?

I had to wake up my husband for ice last night. Your husband will get over it. We have a saying in our house that the patient rules and that’s just the way it is!

My day was too eventful so hopefully it wore me out. Once you find a good position I wish you a few good hours.

Oh a GimpyGal I’m sorry your not having a hood night either. I’m going from the recliner to the bed back to the recliner. I took 2 Tylenol PM’s but I think tonight I’m going to need something stronger. I’m just so sad, miserable ready to just cry. When is it going to be a good day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson