Revision TKR I’m back

Rileyacu

Country
United States United States
I had a right tkr in February of this year and while I read lots I wrote very little. My road to recovery was a bit rocky, having surgery at the beginning of a pandemic was not ideal, as you all know. Well, on the 27th I’m going back in, same surgeon, same knee. When I went to see her last week, after waiting a month to get in after waiting a month to call for an appointment, her comment was less than reassuring when I showed her what my knee is now doing. I think I’m actually in more pain now than I was pre surgery. Everything looks fine on X-ray and ct, but you can see my kneecap jump over something and hear it land.

I’m tired and not amused at this new chapter. I’ve tried to be positive. I had plans for the summer with my new knee, then plans for fall, one now only recovery plans.

I’ve been perusing on here and do see others who have had revisions. I know my surgeon doesn’t like to reopen a surgical site within a year, and I know she is making an exception so I don’t spend a long time incapacitated by this, as it is progressing. And no one seems to know what this is. Maybe soft tissue? Maybe loosened ligaments?

I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, so anything is possible.in this same two week period for the last three years I have lost a good friend, totaled my car and the deer it met, and been miserably ill. Also started chemo a year ago. And had a birthday. I was really looking forward to a stress free birthday this year.. Ok, enough of a pity party for myself. I’m less afraid of this surgery than I was for the TKR, just frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rileyacu My goodness - you have had such a tough time lately. Yes, we have plenty of member who have had revisions. Most of them are no longer posting as they are off living life again. Let's hope the same for you.

Stick with us here on BoneSmart! We are with you all the way!

@Rileyacu - It's no wonder you are frustrated and not amused! Anyone would be, with the circumstances you describe! I have no insight as to why your knee is doing what it is doing, but I just want to offer support. Somehow you will find the strength to get through this. Better days are ahead. Good luck and please continue to post your progress!! We're with you!

I am glad you are here and willing to share your story. I do not know why either but we are here to offer support when you have your revision. :console2::flwrysmile:

2020 just seems to get better and better, doesn't it.:hairpulling::censored:. Good luck with everything.

Thank you all for your kind and reassuring responses. I rarely post on any public forums, so I’m always surprised when people answer.

Hello @Rileyacu - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your initial knee replacement, so we can add that to your signature for you? Also, if you have a date for your revision, please tell us that, too.
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I had a revision to a TKR after my PKR failed almost 9 years ago.
I didn't find the recovery to be any worse than my initial recovery. It was even a bit easier, I think. My revised knee is still doing well. It's strong and reliable and it feels so natural that I often forget it's artificial.
I hope you have a similar successful outcome.

My RTKR was February 11, 2020, done by Christine Pui, MD, St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA
My next surgery date is October 27, 2020, same dr. It may not be a revision, it might “just” be a cleaning.

Thank you for telling us your surgery dates. I've added them to your signature and also added your name to the October Feisties surgery team thread.

Well...I haven’t gotten there yet, and already there is so much drama. In February, when I had my tkr I had so much angst just getting to surgery. I mean literally. First ride changed her mind. Second one actually forgot and when reminded said she needed to take in her sewing machine for an appointment- I can’t make this up, I promise. Third person was a charm, last minute she got me there on time and in one piece. Fast forward to today. The friends I stayed with have moved away, the person who took me in February will be out of state, and the person who was planning to take me now has a sister in the ICU. I have found a ride, as of tonight, which is way further in advance than last time- and I’ll stay with my next door neighbor for a day or two after surgery. I passed the cardiac testing, have the Covid test on Sunday, work a bit on Monday and surgery Tuesday. My mom will have hopefully the groceries she needs, and I will have cleaned my own place enough to get around easily. Now if I just knew what was coming! Though I suppose that pain wise that really won’t matter. It’s going to hurt no matter what, right? I have PT set up three times a week for the first two weeks. This will allow me to be able to write chapter two in my book of medical transport adventures for people on Medicaid....

Well...I haven’t gotten there yet, and already there is so much drama. In February, when I had my tkr I had so much angst just getting to surgery. I mean literally. First ride changed her mind. Second one actually forgot and when reminded said she needed to take in her sewing machine for an appointment- I can’t make this up, I promise. Third person was a charm, last minute she got me there on time and in one piece. Fast forward to today. The friends I stayed with have moved away, the person who took me in February will be out of state, and the person who was planning to take me now has a sister in the ICU. I have found a ride, as of tonight, which is way further in advance than last time- and I’ll stay with my next door neighbor for a day or two after surgery. I passed the cardiac testing, have the Covid test on Sunday, work a bit on Monday and surgery Tuesday. My mom will have hopefully the groceries she needs, and I will have cleaned my own place enough to get around easily. Now if I just knew what was coming! Though I suppose that pain wise that really won’t matter. It’s going to hurt no matter what, right? I have PT set up three times a week for the first two weeks. This will allow me to be able to write chapter two in my book of medical transport adventures for people on Medicaid....

Agh, sorry, it’s getting too real. It will be okay. I will be okay. I wonder if others perseverate or freak out as much as I do.

It is quite normal to be anxious about your upcoming surgery. You'd be unusual if you didn't. It sounds like you are having a time just getting there. I pray everything falls into place and that your surgery goes much easier than you can imagine!

I freak out as much as you! I think it’s pretty normal. I hope you’re able to relax some and your surgery goes well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom