• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

I’m 38 and worried I need tkr

jesscart

Country
United States United States
Hi all,

I’m 38 years old and have a jacked up knee. 5 years ago I had a Fulkerson osteotomy, medial meniscus repair, and lateral release. My knee has been hurting pretty bad for the past year. We’ve tried steroid injections, but being type 1 diabetic each one ended up in a hospital stay. I’ve taken enough ibuprofen that I now have a stomach ulcer. I had an MRI a week ago that showed another medial meniscus tear, lateral patella subluxation, Tricompartmental osteoarthritis, full thickness fissures in two compartments and osteophytes. I’m concerned next step is tka since at appointment prior to mri, a partial replacement was discussed if it was only one compartment.

Has anyone else experienced this? What ended up happening in your case? My follow up appointment is next week, and I’m just nervous.

Atlas_aus

Country
Australia Australia
Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice and amazing people here.

My take.

Age is just a number, it used to be an important number even 10 yrs ago, but not so much now. Medical technology in the knee, hip and shoulder replacements has moved forward in leaps and bounds.

I put up with my dodgy knees for about 15 yrs, but that was before the technology really took off so no choice really. Now you can expect 20 + years out of a new joint.

If you want QUALITY of life, go for it, find a surgeon that does not care about your age, but your knee disability. By the time it wears out you'll be nearly 60 and had a great quality of life for 20 or more years. You are probably too young to remember a show called the 6 million dollar man.... Catchphrase "we can rebuild him"...... And now they can rebuild you.

I am 2 months out from a double and I am feeling on top of the world for the first time in so long.

As Nike would say, "Just Do It" :)

Tykey

big-cheese
What is making you worried about getting your mobility back, getting rid of the pain and enjoying life to the full?

Yes, just do it! You know it makes sense!

ArmyVet

Country
I was told at 35 that I would need TKR, but that I needed to wait until I was 50, because they only wanted to do it ONCE-- that was 26 years ago!!! I could understand it then, but not now!!! There has been so much improvement in both the technology and the surgery itself that new knees are lasting longer than ever!!!

I know someone from the team here will post the questions thing that will help you determine whether YOU are ready for replacement, but I just have one thing I need to emphasize that you will see there.

IF your knee affects your every day quality of life- whether by pain, or limited activity, or any other reason- consider what your life will be like AFTER it's done!! I just had my revision 6 weeks ago, and I'm already walking a couple miles a day, and I can do flights of stairs, and I can sit on my heels- things that I could NOT do while I waited for the surgery to begin with!! Think about all the things you could be doing if you had a new knee, and you were no longer in pain!! And then decide if you are ready for it. The people here will help you along the way with funny stories, advice, and will help calm your nerves if needed. With the time zones, someone is usually here 24 hours a day that might be able to help, or just be here to listen if you want to chat. You can't ask for a better forum to help you through this!!!

OP
OP
J

jesscart

Country
Thanks y’all. I did the tests and according to them my knee is worn out. I printed them to take with me to ortho so we can make the right decision.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Littlepower602
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom