BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] I’ll TKR - another please<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Needhope, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Needhope

Needhope member

United States United States
    I’m going to say goodbye for awhile until I start making improvements. My messages are depressing and repetitive and serve no purpose to help support others here on Bonesmart that are needing more important attention and uplifting messages of encouragement. I’ve overstayed my welcome and hope to report some good, positive, uplifting news to those who are having a difficult time during their own recovery of this horrendous surgery that nobody could ever understand fully unless they’ve been through it themselves. You are all considered my friends from afar and Thank you for getting me through this thus far. God Bless Bonesmart.

2. newlybionic

newlybionic FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Don't feel like you have to leave us now while you are early in your recovery. It is normal to have pain after this surgery and to need pain medications to handle it. For now ice and elevation are your best friends. Don't worry about muscles atrophying now. Any slight decrease will easily come back to you once you are past this painful period. Don't do any exercises for now. I know that a shower would wipe me out for the first several weeks after each TKR. I would fall into my bed completely exhausted. Feel free to vent here whenever you need to. We've all been there. Don't be alone during this tough time. We are here to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

I agree, stay with us! No one is complaining. You need us right now and that is what Bonesmart is all about, support!!! :console2::console2:

4. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

We are “hear” for you. Your body has gone though an assault of major proportion. Lack of sleep, tremendous pain, recent anesthesia is mentally and physically difficult. Any eXertions wiped me out, showers, Home PT., even eating meals! Even if you decide to stay away for a while, you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Needhope - it sounds as if the post-op blues have hit you hard. While getting the blues is normal, maybe a short course of anti-depressant medication, prescribed by your own doctor, might help you through this.
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Don't feel you have to help anyone with your posts. You are the important one and we are here to help you through this. We'll hold your virtual hand and listen if you want to rant. We understand, because we've been through this ourselves.

Hang in there with us. We'll help you through this. :friends: :friends:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kayow11

kayow11 member

This is what this Bonesmart site is all about, hearing other peoples struggles and others helping with encouragement or added info.
    Don't feel like you're a burden to anyone, you're not and we encourage you to continue with us with us because we want to help you.
    We have ALL been through this crazy stuff but we have all made it. Many of us have tips to help survive it. Hopefully some of that has helped.
    You don't have to be an encourager at this point. It is what YOU need at this point from US. Someday you will be able to give it back.
    That is how I am feeling now with my situation since I am on surgery Number three, and feel that I am finally not looking up hill anymore.
    Many Caring people have helped me with advice here, and I am so thankful for it.

7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Do you have a shower chair or bath bench? I used mine for a few weeks. And showering was still an "event" that I had to rest after. And I had proper pain control. Hang in there. We understand.

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was alone most of the time after my tkr and I had a shower bench. This was a wonderful aid. I could stand up and sit down in the shower as needed. To get in, I got the shower going, then sat down and slid over. To get out, I cut off the shower and slid on the bench to the towel and then stood up. I know I wouldn't have been able to shower for many weeks without it. Spit baths just aren't the same, especially when you can't stand up over a sink to wash your hair!

9. Jockette

I just want to say hi and let you know I’m thinking of you! :console2:I hope you are still on here reading even if you’re not posting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    None of that is true! We want you to feel free to post whatever you want on here and whatever it helps to let the steam off. That's what BoneSmart is all about! We are by no means 'fair weather friends'! Thick and thin, it's all the same to us. So please come back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jockette

Our posts, negative and positive, help others. The negative ones help others see that they are not alone when they feel the same thing you do, and the positive ones encourage others that things will get better.

On here we are all in this together!

People we come in contact off Bonesmart often don’t know how to encourage us, mostly because they do not share the experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jockette

:wave: Just wanted to say hi and that we’re thinking of you!

13. HoneyB

HoneyB junior member

Imagine how beneficial it will be to a "newbie" to read of your struggles in the beginning, and then read along as you pull through those to feeling better. I read a lot of posts like that the first week after my surgery and it gave me hope and let me know that what was happening to me was not unusual. Share your good times and your bad times. We're here.

14. shelli22

shelli22 senior

Australia Australia
    Omg please don’t feel like you need to leave and get better before you can come back to BoneSmart. Have you read my thread. It’s four years of struggles. I am here because people care and I am allowed to voice my concerns, sadness, anger and every now and then positive thoughts. This forum is for those of us that need help and need hope to carry on taking each day as it comes and hoping we too will one day recover and be able to live our dreams of a life without pain. I don’t think I could have coped without being able to read other’s threads, to whinge or cry or just say nothing. The support from others is just as important to us who struggle as anyone else. Please stay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1