Hyaluronic Acid Injections

RaymondJ

Country
United States United States
01/07/2020 Has anyone tried Hyaluronic Acid injections? I have pain in the back of my right knee below the joint and have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis. Every few days a full page ad in my newspaper is published by a medical practice promoting Hyaluronic Acid injections as an alternative to surgery. Has anyone tried these injections? If so, what were the results? Thank You.

@RaymondJ Welcome to BoneSmart!

To be honest I would not waste your money on these injections. If indeed they were a alternate to surgery, then I doubt very few of our members would have ever visited here.

If you have severe osteoarthritis I am afraid the only option is surgery. And only a skilled surgeon can diagnose the severity and advise your best surgical option.

My old ortho said they were worthless. However, the new surgeon says about 50% of his patients get some relief. Having left TKR on 1/27/20 and cannot get cortisone shot in right knee for about month to 6 weeks after, but can get these injections within 2 weeks of left TKR. Might go this route if right hurts too much and will report back if helps.

Cortisone stopped working for left knee, but still helps for right, although that surgery will also be coming in 6 months to a year.

If your insurance will pay it's worth a try as they help for some. Prior to my knee replacement I got the injections every 6 months and would get 2-3 months relief.

My insurance was still willing to pay for it through 2019, So I received a set of 3 injections every 6 months. I did this in both knees for the last 3 years. I never noticed a change in the pain or discomfort, only the instability. My knees didn't grind and creak nearly as much after the injection, but I never received any pain relief.

I can see why insurance companies have stopped covering them. With only a 50/50 success rate, the $750 price tag is insane. I'm in the US though.

I had them 4 years ago. I thought it might me helping a little at first but ultimately concluded it was wishful thinking. Same old knee.

My doc said they only seem to help when your knee isn't too far gone. I felt like I had some relief (nothing like no pain, though) before my knee got really bad but in the end nothing helped but the surgery.

Had this done every two week x 3 it really didn't help much as one has said the creaking got less but no great miracle. Did the steroid for about a year but being a diabetic my sugars where a little high. I am now 5 days away from a RTKR. On the other hand my brother opted for a TKR has had 2 done and now is back to golf and bowling 1 year later figure if he can do this so can I.

I had one injection of it along with corticosteroid 5 months ago and relief was tremendous. But cant help but worry about the severe bone on bone arthritis going on, while being deluded with pain relief. It was really good for buying time, though.

I have been doing knee injection for about 4 years in both knees to avoid surgery. First I used Synvisc One for 2-1/2 years (one shot per knee every 6 months). It worked very well. I switched orthopedic surgeons to someone more up to day on robotic and custom implants and have done Hymovis shots for 3 rounds, 2 shots per knee a week apart 6 months between shots for 1-1/2 years now. As long as the shots work, I do not want to think about surgery even though I think about it every day and hope I can go a few more years. I am 70 and in good shape, very active and still working. The thought of time off work, all that therapy and the big scar down my knees keeps me going as long as possible.

Hyaluronic acid injections are better to treat like a part of post-operational recovery (if you have enough money or have a good insurance company).
These injections are not designed to be used as part of a post-op protocol. They are intended to be used before a joint is replaced in an effort to provide some cushioning when the joint cartilage has been compromised. It is true that they are expensive and not always covered by insurance. And, many times they don't do a lot to relieve joint pain. So, anyone considering them should be aware of this.

Sometimes if an insurance company balks at paying for things like the injections, you can enlist the help of your orthopedic surgeon to justify the need. They are used to providing necessary documentation and can often get insurance to change their decision. If you haven't talked with your surgeon about this you might want to.

I have to comment on this post.
I had Synvisc injections probably 7 + years ago with terrible results. The practitioner didn't use lidocaine to numb the area first and caused excruciating pain, where I was literally limping out of the office and could barely drive home. I had some temporary relief so tried the injection again, but it was just too painful, even with the lidocaine (done correctly the second time). I was told I "had" to get a third shot as that's the only way insurance would cover it?! I called my insurance and raised hell and they backed off. I felt like a guinea pig for their protocol.

4 years prior to my first left knee surgery in 2019, I started with the hyaluronic acid injections, I had them twice yearly 3 injections, injected over a 3 week period, these gave me good relief for several months, by providing a cushion effect between the joints. However once the joint is fully bone on bone then these injections usually cease to work, hence I had a full replacement. In December 2020, my right knee started having me serious grief, & my surgeon this time round said that injections would be of little relief as that knee was also fully bone on bone, thankfully it will be replaced in two weeks.
The best person to advise you is your doctor as he will have all the facts on the condition of the state of your knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom