BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Husband of a late-August BTHR, looking for support.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by TangoGunn, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Kona Girl

Kona Girl junior member

Aloha Cristina and Tom...what a special couple you are. Tom, I can't say enough about how incredible it is that you are posting here, reaching out, asking for suggestions, etc. Again...pretty super special.

Cristina, I reiterate what many are saying, take it easy with the exercises. Sometimes less is more. When I had my knee done in 2011, the protocol (not sure if it still is the protocol) was bend, twist, stretch, push the heck out of the knee to break up scar tissue, etc. Well, today 8 years later, I'm still having some major issues, much of what I think came from too aggressive PT. The hip, of course, is a very different kind of joint. Nonetheless, you are still very early on in your recovery (BTW, we had our surgeries on the same day!). Just moving up and down from bed/chair, walking to another room, doing dishes, brushing teeth, going to bathroom, etc. is really all our body needs to do as it has been majorly assaulted, and the tissues need time to heal. When I tried to do what they advised me to do at hospital, I found that my body just wasn't ready. It would revolt with severe spasms, etc. So I stopped and waited til when I felt my muscles were ready for something new, without the revolt. Listen. You have a very wise body/mind connection. That's MY story. You will create your own. :)

A big hug to you two! It will get better, one second, one day, one month at a time. We're here to support you in any way we can. Malama pono...:flwrysmile::loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi Tom,
    I'd ice as long as there is swelling or pain. And both can continue for months.
    I'd also ice preventatively after walking or exercising. It seems Christina is doing well and she's lucky to have you as her caregiver. Hope you both have a great rest of the week!
    @TangoGunn

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hello @TangoGunn !! Nice to meet you, Christina!!
    What a great team you two make! I love the one day of work and a day of rest, game plan, that is a great idea and you’re now handling your stairs!
    Ice will continue to be a big part of your recovery. Its the best natural anti-inflammatory that can be used that doesn't require taking a medication.

So happy to hear that things are progressing smoothly!!! No pressure but can’t wait for the next update. :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1