TKR How young is too young?

amber777

Country
Canada Canada
I’ve been told I’m too young since long before my first TKR but they finally did one 9 years ago. Now my second in in a few weeks. I’m super nervous even though I’ve done this before. Advice?

@amber777 I think we all felt the same facing a second joint replacement. I certainly did. I was so much more nervous pre-op my second THR. Maybe it's because you already know what recovery is all about.

Keep posting here - it does help ease the nerves. Perhaps share what you are most concerned about. We are here for you!

I’m worried about going through the surgery again. I’m worried about recovery and returning to work. I’m also concerned how I will be able to get up off the floor when I’m unable to kneel anymore.

Hi @amber777. Can you share more about what specifically worries you so we can be more helpful? For example, did you have a difficult time with the recovery after your first TKR?

We have quite a few members who have had both knees done -- a few who had them at the same time! You can use the search box in the far right of the blue tool bar to look for relevant threads.

Also, I'm tagging a couple of our staff members : @Susie-Q had her knees done about 10 years apart, @Roy Gardiner had a bilateral TKR. I'm sure that will be happy to share their experiences and ease your anxiety a bit!

I'm the same age as you, @amber777 , and I had my first TKR 13 years ago when I was only 42. My second one was a couple of years ago. The good thing about being on the younger side is you are probably going to bounce back quicker than if you were a decade or two older. I returned to work gradually at around 3 months post-op. I work part time but it's 4 hour shifts on a cement floor and on my feet the whole time.

Please let us know if you have any specific concerns. You've done this before so you know what to expect. Kneeling should definitely be done with a cushion or on soft surfaces at first and getting up and down off the floor can be done with practice once your knee is healed well enough. Ask your PT for help with that.

I went back to work after 2 months with the first and I’m hoping to do that again. I drive school bus. At least it’s not standing for hours. @Susie-Q do you worry about eventually needing it redone? I was told our bones can only support 2 replacements in our lifetime, is that true?

do you worry about eventually needing it redone?
In most cases there is no worry about needing a revision. These days implants last a lifetime. And unless you are planning on marathon running, the implant may out last you!
I was told our bones can only support 2 replacements in our lifetime, is that true?
Not sure where you heard this but it sounds very old school to me!

Jacey
Thank you for that, I’m hoping it never needs to be redone. They said you can not run or jump on it, to which I said, I can’t do those things now either.

Kneeling should definitely be done with a cushion or on soft surfaces at first and getting up and down off the floor can be done with practice once your knee is healed well enough. Ask your PT for help with that.
True. I don't like to kneel, but I can do it if I have to.

@Susie-Q do you worry about eventually needing it redone?
No, I don't worry about this. I've got 13 years so far with my right knee and it's going strong. My doc said they were lasting 30+ years at the time and if I need a revision some day then so be it. I'll be 72 and I'm sure technology will have improved even better by that point. I don't run or jump either and don't plan to so that might help it last longer. I can walk with no pain in my knees and it's wonderful!!

I was told my Oxford implant carries a lifetime guarantee these days. I was told not to run or jump but I can kneel safely.
I am gradually practising kneeling on a thin yoga kneeling cushion. I can now kneel on both knees for up to 10 minutes and just on the operated knee alone for a couple of minutes. I do it every day in four point kneeling to exercise my arthritic back. The Superwoman exercise involves just kneeling on one knee and lifting the other leg. Apparently a lot more people can kneel safely if they practise slowly and gently.

I guess I should inquire as to what kind of implants I have. I was never told. Now I’m curious.

Sometimes I think, my pain isn’t too bad, maybe I should wait longer. At 45 I was told that my knees were those of an 80 year old and needed to be replaced. Then they said you’re too young and need to wait until you can’t stand the pain anymore. Almost 9 years ago now they did my right knee and then I went back to not being old enough and waiting. In 2019 I decided I didn’t want to keep waiting and went on the wait list. Now 4 years later and it’s finally my turn. Some days I think I should wait longer and some days I want to curl up into a ball and cry. I hope not waiting any longer is the right choice.

I was told the exact same thing at 42, that my knees were like that of a 75-80 year old. Thankfully I had a doctor who was very experienced and said, why wait? Get your life back now! So I had my right knee replaced. By the time I was finally ready to get the second one done, I had to find another doctor as my original surgeon retired (along with the one I had after him). My new doc really couldn't argue that I was too young, I'd already had one 11 years previous! I'm sorry you had to wait so long to finally get scheduled for this second one. Once I decided I'd had enough, I only had to wait about 2 months for mine.

I hope not waiting any longer is the right choice.
I think as soon as you can get it done is best. You don't want to damage your knee any further, which could lead to more difficulties with the surgery. With my second one, I had damaged it so badly getting our house ready for my father in law's 90th birthday party (35+ guests!) that for the last month or two prior to surgery, I couldn't bend it as far without feeling like the bones in the joint were literally rubbing against each other . Sooner rather than later is my advice......

Pre-surgery nervousness is totally normal. Dare I say we all go through some form of it. Just don't let those thoughts get the best of you. If your wanting to "curl up into a call and cry" I think that's your answer right there.

We'll be here with you. You will see that I've had several revisions on my right knee. Is it ideal to have to have that done? No it is not, but I chose to have the revisions. That's worrying about something way in the future. As for kneeling, my surgeon prefers his clients only kneel if absolutely necessary. So I would suggest you discuss it with your surgeon. Each one has different idea's on that subject.

Ive had both my knees replaced the first in 2019 left one and the second in 2021 I was 58 years old with my first knee. Here in Portugal I'm considered very young to have had both knees replaced, but fortunately my orthopaedic doctor agreed that my crumbling bones needed some new life, I was told the implants nowadays last 30+ years with low impact, if I were to do high impact sports then they would wear out quicker.
I'm not a fan of kneeling, to weird a sensensation, have tried it and can do it but by choice I choose not to.
My only fear of the second replacement was knowing how painful the first few days are, but it was good to know what painkillers worked and what I needed and used to make the recovery easier, my first time I was clueless as here they tell you very little information.
I'm now nearly 62 and on the waiting list to have my left hip replaced, very soon I will be bionic :heehee:but know I will be in good hands for the eventual recovery with my BoneSmart buddies.

I hear this. I am 62 with both knees replaced. I was bone on bone for over five years prior. I waiting for an optimum time of insurance and employment cycles. Kneeling ok but not for long is doable, surprisingly.

Yes, TKRs last longer than before. The wound/ scar is even shorter in many cases using glue over staples in some cases. I only desire to cycle and then only on bike paths not for racing or transpo. So far so good.

Sometimes I think, my pain isn’t too bad, maybe I should wait longer. At 45 I was told that my knees were those of an 80 year old and needed to be replaced...
I remember my pain which was intermittent. I never had the shots and was living with it as I could. But the unpredictable knee/ leg 'collapsing' feeing got my attention increasingly.

Already having back issues I couldn't live with the instability and fall risk - steps were harder and I was on a cane more and more. That's when I knew it was time. My surgeon agreed.

Jacey
Thank you for that, I’m hoping it never needs to be redone. They said you can not run or jump on it, to which I said, I can’t do those things now either.
Yes, I get that. Going thru it again would not be good as most of us would be much, much older. Running? Hmmm, I was never good at that when I was a teen. LOL!
Just let me peddle - along a path and I am am happy ... :bicycle1: ...

I remember my pain which was intermittent. I never had the shots and was living with it as I could. But the unpredictable knee/ leg 'collapsing' feeing got my attention increasingly.

Already having back issues I couldn't live with the instability and fall risk - steps were harder and I was on a cane more and more. That's when I knew it was time. My surgeon agreed

I too started to use a cane regularly as I’m unsure if my knee will support me. Sometimes it feels like it will give out

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back