PKR How to walk?

@aperture you could be right. When can we turn our knee is the question. Will be mindful from now on. Can go upstairs no prob, but still come down baby steps. Just really been beating myself up as was doing so well. Started driving 2 weeks ago, auto and 4 x 4 so no probs getting in and out, but it was like out on a mission!!! Hadn't experienced the supermarket thing as partner had been doing shopping since op in January. So it was a bit of a task and felt quite pleased. But then did more and along with cleaning, hoovering, well you know the rest. So now to be sensible, more ice regularly and relax#### wish you well, and thank you so much for your help xxxx

Cancer and tkr recovery really does differ. I had little problem with cancer (prostate) because we have the massed resources of our wonderful NHS taking the decisions (mainly) and we personally couldn't affect it. TKR recovery is t'other way around, and we all have human frailties and unlimited potential to mess it up. That's why it's best to leave it alone.
Good luck

Andypandy, we are in same time frame , and I am experiencing exact same issues... I continue to push a bit harder then I should, increasing step count, doing more yard work that requires bending of the PKR knee...I find it stiffens up and aches...BUT, looking back at all the difficulties I had encountered Not that long ago, I continue to move forward...I try to “ bend “ the knee as I walk up and down steps(down not great) ..I increase my stride to stretch muscles and tendons when I walk..I do limp at times during walks, but try to be aware of it, and adjust...If this is truly a 12 month rehab( which I would never had though being “only” a PKR,lol) we are 1/3 thru! Good times ahead...my mantra of time is our best friend still applies!...

@Qdogpa many thanks for your update. It's hard when we seem to be progressing and then bham, back we go. I am trying to focus on my gait as I have been limping g far too much, still don't go Down the stairs yet. My mindset just got way out of control, so annoyed and upset but as my partner always says, I beat myself up too much. So, trying to remind myself this IS a slow recovery. Yep, Time certainly has to be our friend. Hope all good with you and family, take care xx

@Andypandy going upstairs is much easier as we use the force in our non operated leg to pull us up, the steps down always seem further and scarier as we are using our operated leg first and there is the added concern of falling down :unsure: I'm nearly at 8 months and still having issues with going down the stairs, especially when there is only 1 handrail usually on the non operated side :thud:

@Sara61 yes, the dreaded down the stairs. I start off with good intentions, but just can't tackle at the moment. The thought of even trying it is pretty scary. But, I am sure it will come. Thank you for your support, hope all good with you xx

Coming downstairs, I just did the bottom step until I felt confident with it, then upped it to two, then three etc etc. After 9 months I can do them all as long as I have a rail to grab onto.
But I sometimes forget and find myself reverting to one step at a time.

@Jaycey just wondered if you can advise: last couple of days when walking, my knee suddenly "gives" only occasionally, really weird feeling. Wondering if its the knee starting to free up? Walking improving, talking to myself heel to toe, certainly helps. Thanks x
@Andypandy did you ever figure out what this was? I hope I quoted you correctly. I had a right TKR on 3/9/20 and I'll be 12 weeks post-op tomorrow. I am experiencing the exact thing you mentioned here. Hope you are continuing to improve. Your journey sounds very much like mine.

@Kimbo1 no, didn't get any answers. However it has settled and only very occasionally have experienced it. Funny enough, only the other day. Hope you are doing ok, certainly a long journey with much to learn on the way. Xx

Any advice really appreciated. 8 months since op, not doing bad and then last week tripped over my shoe! Nothing horrendous, but now experiencing tight feeling, feels like been filled with something and not good to walk. Friday was awfully painful to walk but little better now. What have I done? Should I get xrayed or sit it out. So annoyed as was doing pretty good. Thank you and hope all going well with you all. Xx

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I'm pretty sure that your implant it OK. It's your soft tissues that are angered. Your knee is still in healing mode and these soft tissues now need rest, ice, and elevation until they calm down.

I fell on my new knee when it was a little less than a year old. It yelled at me for at least a week. Running up and down a ladder yesterday has left some of the muscles around my 4-year-old new knee sore. Muscles will react to change in soreness.

If you don't get better in a few days be sure and call your doctor.

@sistersinhim thank you for your advice. Had 4 lots of ice today and elevated. Not really rested it since doing it. Will see how I go. Xx

Happy New year to all, wish everyone a brilliant recovery. I will be 1 year on 21st this month and honestly can say never thought I would have achieved where I am. It's with so many thanks to this wonderful site whereby I gleened information, support , guidance, advice, can't thank all of you enough. Still a way to go, some stiffness, soreness but walking further, better, staying positive and when I am doing that Salsa will let you all know. Long, long road but the ice cream van is there waiting. Thank you everyone xxxx

Thanks for stopping by @Andypandy ! Sounds like you are doing really well. More proof this can be a lengthy process. But the results are well worth the effort.

Can't wait for the Salsa update!

That Salsa should be coming soon @Andypandy. I was pretty darn happy with my TKR after 1 year, but I'm amazed at how much better it got during year2! Still more healing in your future! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back