PKR How to walk?

You got enough food in your tummy when you're taking your meds? Sometimes not having enough on your stomach can make you feel nauseous. Is there different antibiotic that would bother you less or some sort of anti nausea med they could give you? Frustrating!
I'm doing pretty good. Took my first walk around a BIG block today. Tackled a couple smaller blocks closer to my house before today but decided to give this big block a try because it is a portion of a route hubby and I like to walk. Hopefully my knee will be ok with todays walk and I'll increase it a tad.

@Rubyroo l am a nightmare with meds, so far today not feeling too bad, day 3. Not been out walking as not felt good with this uti, but hopefully will start to get back out tomorrow. How did your walk go? I need to progress further but take each day. Don't think I will be dancing for awhile!!!!! Have a good weekend and take care xxx

@Layla @sistersinhim sorry to be a pain but could you advise on tightness of knee. I am 14 weeks post op, partial inner replacement. For the last 3 weeks experiencing tightness on knee and just below. Almost feels like dry skin trying to split, best way to explain. Appreciate any guidance.
Many thanks x

More than likely that tight feeling is swelling inside your knee. There is very little space inside your knee and even a little bit of fluid will make it feel tight. Too much activity causes inflammation which causes swelling. Ice and elevation will help to reduce that swelling. Listen to your knee. See what causes more tightness, then don't do it for a while so your knee can calm down.

@Andypandy you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

@Qdogpa so annoying isn't it. Probably too much walking albeit not far at all, then carry on with chores at home. Been trying to stop every 1 hour to sit with ice. Horrible feeling, just like skin stretching. Also still numb below knee, how long before nerves come back????? The trouble is, we seem to be progressing and then you get a wake up call, slow down. So, we need to keep icing and look to our friend, Time . Take care xx

So true, I have increased my activities such as walking more often ,yard care, etc...And clearly my knee is not in favor of that! yesterday I felt like I was back 4 weeks ago , so will try and slow down..Hard to do when yard needs to be tended to, dogs need walks, and trying to drop a few pounds !
best wishes to all in our recovery! Need to remind myself, time is our best friend!

Well, 17 weeks post op last Tuesday and not been doing too bad. However since last week been experiencing tightness and stiffness more and yesterday really had enough. I know I have been limping more due to doing more, so really have to remind myself to walk properly as it affects my back and glutes . Anyway, is this normal to almost feel I have gone backwards. So annoyed with myself, my partner says I am doing too much as been doing shopping on my own and housework. Spent yesterday icing all day and even started back on cbd oil as anxiety creeping in!!!! Can anyone advise on tightness, stiffness, my mind set was pretty good with this but gone on a real low. Want to do so much but also the right thing. Thanks everyone, hope all going ok xx

4 months post surgery is still very early days and from the sounds of your post you are pushing that knee, maybe back off a little, return to icing and elevating as stiffness and tightness is caused by a unhappy knee this in turn will cause more swelling.
The healing journey of our knees is a huge rollercoaster when will feel great feel, we feel we can do anything and then the suddenly our knee(s) decides they have had enough ...back off doing too much to soon and it will calm down. I'm nearly at 8 months and mine is still :good-bad:
Try and be positive as you said
"17 weeks last Tuesday and not been doing too bad" so just relax its all normal xxx

@Sara61 thank you so much for your reply. One part of me says that I have tried too much, even dancing exercises, afterwards that little man says "Oh silly". Will carry on with ice, ice, ice. What a journey this is, I am 5 years remission breast cancer and without being disrespectful, coped far better. Best wishes for your recovery xx

Yes, when we feel good, we do more and then our knee reminds us just how young it is. You will get back to doing all those things you want, but not all of it just yet.

You already know the answer to your own question
This lovely hot weather should be helping you to get out RELAXING in the sunshine, with a book in one hand and a nice iced drink in the other.
Then repeat every day until it rains!

I've talked myself into doing the same therapy!

You are just 1/3 of the way through this year-long recovery. It is completely normal to have painfully swollen days after a day of extra activities. When that happens it might take 3 or 4 days for the knee to settle back down to where it was before the extra work it had to do.

@tyke yes silly isn't it. Just think can get on and do so much, but deep down inside says, No, too much. This really does take time and I suppose frustration plays a big part. Have to accept the good and bad days, but it's not easy when we start to conquer some things. Just bought more books so will take your advice and chill. Thank you for your help xx

@sistersinhim Just got a little too cocky and so lessons to be learnt. Hard when you start to manage things and then a bit more and more until !!!!! This really is slowly, slowly. I am so grateful for this wonderful forum, thank you for your support xx

You are really doing great! This is truly a learning experience and very individual. I might have been able to do something another person couldn't do. But, in the same respect, someone else could be doing things that I couldn't do. Even if we all were at the same time frame, our healings would be different. It's a trial and error. Good luck with your learning your knee's preferences!

@Andypandy
I am the same journey; four months out pkr. The last few weeks have been really pretty good; walking a lot and finally able to manage the "down" stairs (with stiffness). But I also am surprised when I have stiffness and soreness. Sometimes it is hard to nail down exactly what causes it, as I am able to walk three miles with no pain but something else must be at play with tweaking the baby knee. You may be doing what I think I do that causes stiffness to come back; lateral moves? I am realizing I need to be really careful about those sideways moves that you don't even notice you do. Like when your feet are planted and you pivot sideways. That seems to irritate the joint and even though we don't notice it at the moment it disturbs something in the new knee. Anyway, its just a thought. I have been learning to be careful with those sideways movements; I pick up my feet and replant them instead of swiveling.

@aperture I am wondering the same thing....inadvertently pivoting with feet planted. Frustrating when we don't know what triggers a setback. One day we hopefully won't have to be so mindful of every move we make!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom