How to increase stamina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeet

supremo
Country
United States United States
I'm wondering how I can increase my stamina? I try to walk more steps every day and get out and about, but I am simply exhausted every day and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to walk for 4+ hours to go hunting in mid May. So far today I have done 7538 steps. Not bad for a non-work day. Are there other things I could/should be doing??? HELP!

I started doing some interval training on the bike a couple of days ago. Warm up good and then start doing 30sec hard, slow down for 1min, then 30 sec hard. Or just use whatever times you are comfortable with. It gives you some aerobic and anaerobic training. On off days just try and increase your walking distance. You may want to add some floor exercises like crunches and side leg lifts. (works the outer hips)

I would agree with Doug. I arm up on the bike and then pedal hard for a minute to three minutes and then pedal lightly for several minutes. I have gotten up to about 30 minutes. You can also do "steps" just step up and step down as well.

Tim C

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm still looking for a bike for home use. We have them at work, but it's just hard to get over there regularly. And I guess getting up and down off the floor for crunches will be a big help, too! You haven't seen me try that! It's not pretty.

I warm up for about ten minutes on the bike and then do 20-25 minutes of interval work---easy/fast/easy/fast.

If you can do weights or a machine, you can do quick reps at a low weight, as well.

Tim C.

I'm wondering how I can increase my stamina? I try to walk more steps every day and get out and about, but I am simply exhausted every day and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to walk for 4+ hours to go hunting in mid May. HELP!

Skeet, the suggestions others have given you are great. But I think you'll find that simply the passage of time increases your stamina, too. There is something that happens at about 4 months...you just feel better and have more energy. I can't explain why it happens, but it does! Sue

Well I'm glad to hear that too...Let's go for four Skeet.

I sure hope that 4 month mark rings true for me. I am at 3 months and compared to 2 months, it's like night and day better. So, I'm going to trust Sue on this one. THanks, Sue. I'm sleeping well and getting 8 hours a night, staying on a regular schedule even on the weekends. This week will be a test as I will be in the office 4 days out of 5. THe most I've done so far was 2 days and they were not in a row. PRAY FOR ME!! I'll pray for you all, too!

So we'll see no daytime posts??? Not just a sneaker? I'll just wither away.
Guess I'll just have to go shooting.

I'll sneak on if I can... Tuesday I have meetings all day followed by dinner with my new manager, so you may not hear from me at all on Tuesday - I go from 7 am until after dinner. I'm sure I'll be weepy by the time I get home that day.

Don't you dare go shooting without me! That is just so unfair! I plan to go next Saturday. one of our friends wants to sight in his rifle before the guys go coyote hunting in eastern Oregon the weekend after Easter... so I'm going, too, and I'll shoot something. Maybe my sweet 30.06 - Remington 700 BDL with a custom stock and a 2.5 pound pull.

Well listen to you. A 2.5lb. pull. Thats a burp gun. Burp and it goes off. I am supposed to do some handgun shooting tues or thurs. Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to buy a 20in slug barrel and slowly convert my 870 to to tactical. It has slug sights.
I bet coyote hunting is fun. I've never even been close to that part of the country but I do know you all have lots of forest around.

Yep, it's a sweet piece. I love it!

Eastern Oregon is high desert, so lots of sagebrush and such. There are forests as well, but not so much in the area we go to. We go where there are tons of jack rabbits which coyotes prey on... so you can usually find lots of rabbits or lots of coyotes, but generally not lots of both. I wish I were going, but this is a guys only trip. I just send them with a ton of homemade choc chip cookies and best wishes. I get to go in May when it is warmer but still not hot.

Good Luck to you at work this week Skeet! You have developed a lot of good strategies and will need to use them all for this long week at work.

It will be my 4th week back at school and I am still working on the stamina part too. Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty good, but the end of the week has been rough. I think it is a matter of managing the best we can and giving ourselves the time we need to heal.

My new knee will be 3 months old this Friday and tomorrow is 2 months since my back surgery. Wish I could say time has flown by--- but at least I can say that I am still making progress. Today is my first 1 pain-pill day. Progress, indeed!

Good for you! Only one pain med is great. You are doing fantastic. I look back at where you were a month ago... go back and read some of your posts and you'll see the progress.

Thanks for all your support these past weeks. It's certainly not easy--- but we are all making progress.

I've got a date with my honey to go snorkeling on Cozumel this June. Lots to look forward to!

Skeet, I did what you suggested yesterday. I went back and read some of our post from January. It looked like we were all dying. We have come very far. Just think how our one year on-line reunion will be.

Doug, we WERE all dying in January or at least we felt like it. I find that sometimes rather than looking forward at how far I have to go still, it helps me to look back and see that I've come a long way already.

I have my final (for now, then annual) doctor's appt today. Hope he has good things to say about my progress. Have to admit the dang thing hurts like the dickens today and simply doesn't want to straighten out. Wish I had my heating pad to get that hamstring tendon happy.

Have a great one! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

I've got a feeling you might want to buy a heating pad just for the office..I think we are in this for awhile.
You have a good one too.

Good idea, Doug. I'm always happy to get another heating pad. I love being warm!

Skeet,
It must be the weather today.....I felt very good yesterday. Had a reasonably quiet day, just resting up for my work week. Woke up today and my back aches, knees both ache, can't get warm. Damp bone-aching cold.

You'd think my recent hormonal heating system would help me out.....But do ya think I could manage a hot flash today? Nope! Not a one. Sat wrapped in my coat all morning in my classroom shivering.

Now I am home and sitting on my heating pad with my gas fireplace going.... finally getting warm but my joints feel like sharp edges rubbing on each other.

Gotta be the weather.

Hope your doctor appt. went well!

Doug, we WERE all dying in January or at least we felt like it. I find that sometimes rather than looking forward at how far I have to go still, it helps me to look back and see that I've come a long way already.

I have my final (for now, then annual) doctor's appt today. Hope he has good things to say about my progress. Have to admit the dang thing hurts like the dickens today and simply doesn't want to straighten out. Wish I had my heating pad to get that hamstring tendon happy.

Have a great one! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker