How near am I to needing new hip?

Oucheeeeee

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondered if I could ask a question about how far I am away from needing to see my Dr. about my right hip?

Last few years, I've been getting acute stabbing pain in my outer Hip area. Not too often and mostly when walking uphill. Would get it a few times in a day and again for the next few days, but then would disappear for weeks/months.

But last few months I seem to be getting what feels like a permanent groin strain (but isn't). It's pretty much constant but not painful enough to affect what I'm doing. I still get the odd stabbing pain in outer hip area but that's same as before (it comes and goes).

Don't want to bother my Doctor yet as I have all sorts of other issues (Played American Football for 7 years so smashed my body up pretty well which obviously is taking a toll now I'm in my 60's). Just wondering if I'm months or years away from needing hip help. I assume I'll know when it hurts too much to do anything?

Already had a TKR 8 years ago (27 knee ops in total since I was 17) plus both shoulders rebuilt/released - Frontal lobe damage from TBI (assume from my sport 30 yrs ago). Hands are smashed to bits (3 ops). Whilst I can't run due to my knees, I'm still good for 30 hardish mins a day on X-Trainer and 3 weight/resistance sessions a week so I'm still doing OK.

Whilst I hover around 20stone, I'm only 30% Body fat which isn't that horrific for my age (I train/walk as much as 4 people......but eat for 6 ;-)

Thx for any responses

Rob

OP
OP
O

Oucheeeeee

Country
Hmmmm. Just found the Hip Score article that will probably answer my question. Apologies. Should have looked for stuff like that BEFORE posting. Also, from reading other posts, I guess I'm still some way away from needing to go to Docs.

Thx anyway.

Klassy

graduate
Country
Hi @Oucheeeeee . You may have decided and left the forum , but in case you see this, I would say, don’t wait too long. I am the proud owner/ operator of 2 shiny new hips and my only regret is not getting them sooner. I had intermittent pain for a long time and was in denial about the prospect of a hip replacement. I thought I was far too young at 60 ish. Turns out I wasn’t. I don’t know how bad you think it has to be. I wasn’t disabled, until suddenly it was too painful to want to walk. I didn’t use a stick or crutch. Even at my worst I didn’t have any trouble getting dressed, putting on socks etc. My hip score was only just into the range to justify a replacement. I was just sick of living a limited somewhat painful life.

IMHO you should make contact with the doc and get an X-ray now. You need to answer the hip score questionnaire with the answers that apply on the bad days, not the good days. Your profile says you are in the UK - if so (I am wondering if might be a typo because of the American Football) I guess you know that the NHS wait is likely to be very very long. My advice is to get yourself in the queue now. If you get to the front of the queue and you still aren’t sure if your hips hurt, you can decide then to defer.

Please think again. Life without stabbing pains is so much better!

cold_brew

Country
United States United States
Go get it checked out by a pro. At the VERY least you’ll have a baseline set of X-rays etc to compare against a couple years down the road when it’s gotten even worse.

For me it was less that I couldn’t do fun things, more that if I did them I’d pay for it with 2-3 sleepless nights of pain. So then you start preemptively cutting back on the hikes/walks/travel etc bc you know it’s going to hurt.

No way to live and that’s the point it got to for me when I knew it was time. Now 1 week post op and it’s a long way back but I think I did the right thing. Just one experience…

cold_brew

Country
Another thing to consider is that the other aspects of your fitness sound fairly good now. Having your weight under control, good core / upper body strength, all that kind of stuff will be an asset getting thru recovery. So if down the road your bum hip is compromising those other aspects of your fitness it’s going to make the recovery harder. Don’t miss the “at least all the other parts work” window!

Eman85

supremo
Country
I'm not the guy to ask about how long, I had the replacement parts in my hands at 30 and had the first THR at 62. The real decision maker for me was at 62 the Doc told me I'm in as a good a shape for recovery as I'd ever be, pretty much the reality of it's all downhill from here.

OP
OP
O

Oucheeeeee

Country
Thx for the responses. I am in UK and whilst all my other surgeries were carried out privately u der my works medical insurance, now I'm retired I can't afford the insurance as due to all my previous issues, they want £1000 per MONTH to cover me. I think that means they really don't want to insure me. So NHS from now on. I'll defo check with my Doc who happens to be an old school friend so he'll do his best for me.

My TKR rehab was horrendous and was about 18 months before I felt the benefits. All due to the amount of scar tissue from the previous knee ops (i had/have osteo chondritis dissicens(?) So needed ops every 3 years to remove the loose bodies). Tbf, my replaced knee is fantastic now but as I said, it took a long long time, and manipulation under anaesthetic to get sorted. I was 53 when they replaced left knee (I'm told that's young for a TKR). They want to replace right knee now but I'm fighting them off as I'm used to the pain and it does a lot more things than my left knee does. As long as I can use X-trainer and walk my dog, I'll be right!

I hear the rehab for THR isn't as bad so not too concerned. Well......it can't be worse.

Agree with trying to manage weight but that's not easy when you were 245lbs when you had no fat (6% body fat) and you have crumbly/crunchy knees. I did get up above 320lbs before I got a dog to force me to get up and walk more so lost 45lbs over last few years. NHS did offer me a barriatric (?) Band but once I lost the 45lbs I turned them down as they said I wouldn't be able to eat a steak ever again!!!! So doubt I'll ever get below 260lbs. Hey hoh! Life's a balance

My dog decided to pay me back by popping off my distal bicep tendon so my right bicep is bunched up in my delts. (The leads metal clasp broke when he decided to go shout at another intact male, I grabbed his harness, my arm was bent and the bicep just detached - my fault for getting such a strong dog at age 57 (he was tiny when I picked him out))

Anyhow - thx for responses. Think you've convinced me to make an appointment with Doc just to sort of register interest. I feel as if I'm personally responsible for NHS crisis as this year alone I've had 2 x carpal Tunnel ops, head MRI, Pelvis/abdominal CT scan with contrast (question: would that show hip degeneration? Only had this done last week so not had results yet - it was due to my butt stopping working a few weeks ago. They suspect a massive tumour, I think it was due to too much sourdough bread causing a torpedo to be stuck in the tube. We'll see who's correct. Was first time I'd ever eaten sourdough bread (and the last time) I'm confident that I'm right as if I had a huge tumour, surely I'd feel ill?)

Anyhow thx again.....and sorry for "going on a bit"

Oucheeeeee

OP
OP
O

Oucheeeeee

Country
I'm not the guy to ask about how long, I had the replacement parts in my hands at 30 and had the first THR at 62. The real decision maker for me was at 62 the Doc told me I'm in as a good a shape for recovery as I'd ever be, pretty much the reality of it's all downhill from here.
Lol. Ain't that the truth. I feel like my 95,000 mile Audi. Everytime I pay for them to fix something, something else breaks.

On plus side, I wouldn't swap my first 60 years to make an easier last few years. I really enjoyed it so whilst I might drop the American Football (i was a big running back) due to what it did to my brain, the rest of it........wouldn't change a thing

Klassy

graduate
Country
Wow, you have been giving the NHS a workout! Perhaps they have got so used to seeing you that you won’t have to queue! Anyway, I’m glad that you are going to get it looked at.

I never knew that American football was played in UK. I bet it was fun, and your brain seems just fine from here.

The story about your dog has given me pause for thought. We are planning to get a dog. It will be my first. I favour small and cute, a Yorkshire terrier would be fine with me. My husband thinks we need a dog with plenty of leg power to accompany us on the hillwalking my new hips make possible. We had settled on a cockapoo (hence my avatar), but I have recently negotiated down to a cavapoo. But if a big dog can pull a big bloke’s arm off, how small does my dog need to be for my little old lady arm? Hmmm, decisions!

Jaycey

ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
Administrator
Country
@Oucheeeeee My experience was the longer you wait the more complex (and longer) the recovery. Limping around impacts so many other areas.

And yes, from what we see here THR recovery can be a bit easier than TKR recovery. But do remember - this is still major surgery. You are not going to bounce back within weeks. Patience is required.

I've had 2 hips replaced with the NHS. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

TomT

Country
I agree with Eman, if you're eventually going to need the surgery you might as well do it now when your body will handle the operation much better. I honestly wish I would have got mine done earlier because I've gained so much mobility since having my operation I feel like those years I spent making excuses for my arthritis I could have been enjoying life. Get the surgery done, enjoy having an active life while you still have time

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Also..... take your meds 30-40mins before your exercises so you get full value for medication
We have found through years of thousands of members, that taking meds before PT, thus masking the pain, is more harmful than helpful. A person needs to feel the pain to know when to stop. Working through this pain causes more inflammation, swelling and pain afterwards. This slows down healing. Healing should be the #1 concern after having a joint replacement. This recovery is completely different than a sport's injury healing.

BTW, how about giving up the date of your surgery and since you have already had a TKR and other surgeries state a recovery thread?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanadianLiz
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom