How many nurses have joint replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumleg

I worked in a nursing home as an LPN before my knee started seriously acting up. I haven't worked since last July. I'm curious to know how many other nurses have had joints replaced and how long it took you to get back to work.

Our nurse miss Jo is desparately trying to avoid one. So far so good, right Jo?

I am a nurse but 12 years ago I became a stay at home mother. Honestly I dont think I could go back to work as a nurse

Debbi

I am a nurse but 12 years ago I became a stay at home mother. Honestly I dont think I could go back to work as a nurse

Debbi

June would that be because of the need to be on your feet so much? As I'm getting better and thinking about going back to work, finding a new job, I know I could not do something that requred me standing all day, even with my new knees.

While I was in the hospital one of my nurses told me she had her first TKR 5 years ago, and her second last October! If she had not told me I would have never even know she had anything done! She buzzed around with no problems at all. Worked 2 12 hour shifts during the weekend I was there.

Our nurse miss Jo is desparately trying to avoid one. So far so good, right Jo?

Absolutely! And since joining the gym, it's getting better and better!

I worked in a nursing home as an LPN before my knee started seriously acting up. I haven't worked since last July. I'm curious to know how many other nurses have had joints replaced and how long it took you to get back to work.

Can't see any reason whatsoever that it should affect your job, bumleg. If people can pick up on athletics, running, golf and such, nursing should be a breeze! Depends how well you do after, of course.

Talking of what we can do again Jo, IF I ever get my ROM up to at least 110 do you think I will be able to dance again?. I love to jive with my hubby. Last night we went to see one of our son's play with his band (he's a drummer) at a breast cancer fundraiser. I so wanted to get up and jive, but knew that at the moment I can't. It is one of my favourite things to do, I love to listen to music and dance to it!!

Standard answer was going to be "I don't know - could you dance before?"! But you scotched that! Again, I would say that if people can pick up on their sports and stuff, why not? It certainly won't do your new knee any harm.

I went for my 4 week follow up. OS said I could probably go back to work in a month. I'm not so sure I'll be up to it but I like to think so. I finally got my pain med issue resolved thanks to my GP and finding my drug book from nursing school. I'm no longer worried that I'll overdose myself in frenzy for pain relief. OS didn't give me another RX for pain either. I'm walking pretty well with a cane and doing my PT exercises and working to increase my ROM on my own. I got the TKR to bend as far as the good leg. It hurt but thats the price we have to pay to move forward. So far its working fine. What a relief. Josephine, thanks again for the pain graph. Its very useful to help me gauge how well my pain is managed. I hope this will post this time. I have already tried to post two other times and both times the site claimed I needed to log in to post when I was already logged in and I lost them.

Interesting - I've had another member pm me saying the same thing. Anyone else experienced this? If so, I need to let the webmaster know as it could be a bug.

My OS's nurse had BTKR about 3 years ago. She was quite good to share her experiences and provide advice. She was very glad she had it done.

Josephine,
I also have had the same problem a couple of time. I would log in and then try to post or pm someone and it would tell me that I needed to log in.

Thanks, carolina. Anyone else?

Happened about 3 weeks ago, I thought it was just because I searched on the web for something in the middle of writing a post and came back to it, then when I posted it said I was not logged on.

That may be because you just timed out, Sue. Remember to put a tick in the box "remember me" when you log in and that won't happen.

I just discovered this forum today and I must say I am so happy I did. It has made me feel better about my TKR 6 1/2 weeks out. I am a labor and delivery nurse for 26 years and still have about 4 more years to go before I can retire. I am sure hoping I will be able to go back to work by the middle of August. Does anyone know if I am thinking realisticly about this? I am still having a lot of swelling, stiffness, pain but not unbearable. I can bend to 110 degrees but I am having problems straightening my leg I was at -10 degrees last week. Most of my pain is on the inside of my knee where my Dr says the ligament was too tight and he had to shave some away. I have a lot of burning and sharp shooting pains. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks,
SueW

Hello, fellow nurse! And welcome to BoneSmart. Well, yes, that all sounds familiar so don't fret. These knees take a looong time to settle down and get normal.

As for returning to work - are you having a staged return? Do you work full time or part time? If so, how many hours, what kind of shifts?

As I have worked it out, you're planning to return at around 11-12 weeks. Hmm - that might be doable but personally, I'd keep a caveat in the arrangement that enables you to take another couple of weeks if needs be and that allows you to go back on sick leave for a couple more weeks if you find it too much. (I know how hectic delivery rooms can be!)

Hi welcome to the boards. Since my OS told me I could go back to work in about a month I have been doing even more walking and going on outings. I'm finding them quite tiring. I still have to rest after being on my feet for a short time. The good news is it isn't as short as it was before TKR. I too still have the swelling and pain on the sides of my knee. I thought I'd wait and see how the knee does at that time. It will put me at about 8 weeks post op. I can't decide if the OS knows something I don't or if he is clueless about life after TKA. Maybe 11-12 weeks out will be better.I hope so. Personally I think its too soon to return to work. Good luck in your recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties