Rotator Cuff Repair How long for OTC pain meds

Trixmom

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I had rotator cuff surgery on 7/13/20 & I’m finding I still have to take Advil twice a day. Once in the morning, usually before PT and again at night so I can sleep. I know everyone is different but I’m concerned that I still have to take so much medication even though I‘m 3 weeks post op.
can you folks that have been through this tell me your experience? My PT guy says i should do whatever is necessary to heal but I don’t want to damage my stomach/liver either.
thanks for any input you can share

@Trixmom
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

You are only 3 weeks out from your rotator cuff surgery, and have your pain medications down to two
Advil a day is pretty good.
Can you take Tylenol? If so you might want to switch, it is easier on the stomach. Be sure to take no more than 4000 mg a day. Check any other medications you may be taking for additional Tylenol and add them to your daily dose.

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Actually it’s two Advil in the morning & 2 at night 800mg.
i tried taking Tylenol this morning extra strength but didn’t really help. Using my tens nit now to see if that helps. I didn’t take anything yesterday & now I’m paying the price

Trixmom,
I didn’t take anything yesterday & now I’m paying the price

You need the pain medication right now. It is not worth the increased pain to get off your pain medications right now.
To set your mind at ease about your liver, give your MD a call and tell them your concerns. They can order a liver function test if one is indicated.
I would think as long as you stay within the recommended dose you should have no problem.

In order for the Tylenol to work you need to take 1000mg 4x a day for a total of 4000mg.

I didn’t take anything yesterday & now I’m paying the price
This early out of surgery you need to stay ahead of the pain. It's OK to take Advil for a short period but do not take it on an empty stomach and if you have any gut problems call your family doctor.

Have you tried icing your shoulder?

Sorry @Trixmom - we aren't trying to pounce on you. Chris and I were posting at the same time.

@Trixmom - I had a rotator cuff repair in mid-March. Everyone is different on pain relief needs. I think some are still on narcotics at your stage. Use pain meds if you need them - if you don't and you're in pain, you'll have a harder time recovering. I'd check with your surgeon on what's best to use - I'd read that Motrin and similar products could interfere with the body's work in repairing the rotator cuff so I used Tylenol instead but my info could be wrong. Also, ice was the best pain reliever for me - especially after PT. Best of luck and keep up the conversation!

Hi ladies
thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll just stick with the Advil twice a day for now if I’m in pain. As you said, it probably won’t get any better if I‘m in pain & cant do my PT.
I have an ice machine that I use after I do my PT for about 35-40 mins & I do my exercises at home 3 times a day. The ice helps but I thought at this point I wouldn’t be in pain during the day like I am. I can understand at night when I’m trying to lay down but just when I’m sitting here? Hopefully it’ll get better soon. This is sooo discouraging

I was very lucky and only had pain for a few days and then only occasionally afterwards. The nurse told me today that many rotator cuff patients have some level of pain for several months. If a couple of doses of Advil a day is enough to deal with your pain, your probably doing well. You might consider increasing the icing and see how much that helps.

Recovery from rotator cuff surgery can be pretty painful for some time, depending on how much work the surgeon had to do with the soft tissues to make the needed repairs. So, I'd say you're right in the middle of "normal" as far as recovery goes.

My only concern might be that you're trying to do too much exercising. Depending on what you're doing, three times a day might be part of your pain problem. Can you tell me what exercises you're doing, number of reps and sets, and do you do the same routine each of those 3 times a day?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88