• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[REVISION THR] How long does the limp last after surgery<

KathyB

Country
United States United States
Hi @tapan , As you have read many times on this forum, we all progress at different things at different times. At 19 weeks, I still use my cane outside and about 50/50 in the house. @Going4fun hit the nail on the head regarding everything that goes on while we are trying to resume "normal" walking. In the last week, I have just started to feel pretty well balanced and feel like my walking is starting to feel normal. Along with that comes new soreness in new areas as everything is "recalibrating". Patience is the key.

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Spring will soon be here and you'll be further along in the healing process, feeling stronger and more energized I'll bet. Just hang on, it's coming. I hope you've had a good week since we last heard from you.
Enjoy the weekend!!
@tapan

OP
OP
tapan

tapan

Country
Canada Canada
@KathyB I am really happy to hear about your progress! Last week was great for me as a lot of my thigh/hip muscle soreness has decreased.

@Layla Last week was great I hope you had a good one too! I started to go out a bit more on longer car drives (as a passenger) and it feels amazing to get out of the house. I will be able to drive again in 3 days (my 6 week restriction will be lifted). A lot of my muscle soreness has decreased and I have noticed a significant improvement in last week alone. I am able to take longer strides with my cane. I still have slight discomfort and a limp while walking but it does seem to be improving gradually. I start physio in 3 days which I am really looking forward to. Hope you have a great weekend!

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello and Happy Friday :wave:
Thanks you! I did have a good week. A cold one but hey, Spring is just around the corner.

It does feel good to get out of the house in those early weeks of recovery. You feel like you're part of the world again. Getting the green light on driving is wonderful also. It's nice to re-gain that independence.
It's good you're still using an assistive device. It is recommended you do so until you're no longer limping.

Please take it slow in Physio. Don't feel pressured to do anything you're uncomfortable with and if it hurts, STOP. Keep the Big Tip in mind as you move forward -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Thanks for the well wishes for the weekend. I hope yours is all you want it go be!
@tapan

OP
OP
tapan

tapan

Country
Canada Canada
I know I am bumping an old post but I just wanted to drop a thanks to everyone for their advice and support! You guys were right, my limp has gone away and I am currently just shy of 5 months post OP. I have been a lot more active lately and can do all of my routine activities. Of course, I do practice caution.

I have resumed all of my regular activities and chores in and outside of the house (lawn and yard work mostly) and it's pretty good so far. I still have some mild pain (1/10) in my upper thigh/groin area which I am really hoping is just part of long term recovery. The pain persists mostly after physical activity (walking, moving around, outside etc.) and mostly when I am standing. While sitting, it's perfectly fine. Just wondering if this is normal or is it some sign of a complication?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sounds totally normal to me @tapan . This recovery can take a year or more depending on how long you limped around pre-op. Any new or increased activity asks muscles and tendons to function again. Many of our members still ice and elevate at 5 months out.

OP
OP
tapan

tapan

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks @Jaycey this is comforting advise for sure! I didn't have a limp prior to surgery. My case was of MoM from my previous hip replacement but I only had minor complications from it - groin pain and involuntary muscle tingling mainly.

I will continue icing (which I admit I haven't in a few weeks) since the pain has returned. I should also contact my physio to continue my rehab which I also haven't done in a few weeks. I guess I got too greedy too fast.

Thanks! :)

Debru4

graduate
Country
I can really relate to your question about whether your recent pain was normal or a complication. Once we start feeling great in general, any pain/discomfort really jolts us.

I noticed recently that every time I have noticeable pain in my right leg, hip, or lower back on the side of my hip replacement, my first thought is to wonder if it is related.... if it's a problem/complication. When I thought about it, I realized that prior to hip trouble, I still had aches and pains when I overdid on activities or exercising, etc. That isn't going to change just because my hip was replaced, and while I need to be aware of it, and not overdo, I also need to recognize that I'm still going to have muscle/joint pain from other causes, and make sure I don't overreact and worry too much. :egypdance:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tapan

tapan

Country
Canada Canada
@Debru4 Thanks! I feel so much more at ease after listening to your advise. I just get paranoid and start worrying about it. I do notice, that the pain goes away when I go on a short/long walk. Which is assuring as it seems to be a muscle healing issue. I will continue icing and see if that improves it. Thanks again!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KOTKR
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom