• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

how high to elevate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tina joy

0h dear more questions.... I have a borrowed recliner chair. If the footrest is up and my knees are level with my waist is that considered elevated or ought they to be higher with pillows under them and how long do we keep the ice on during the first few days at home Thank you Tina :pzld::pzld:

jugornot

for swelling the ideal is above chest (heart) level if I remember correctly. However comfort is another factor. It should not put you in a strain or cause pain. You are using gravity to help fluids flow from your knee/leg area. Standing or sitting flat footed tend to keep fluids in your leg. Do not turn elevating into torture or exercise.

The ice should also be done as much as possible without discomfort pain or tissue injury. I think the machines do a very nice job.

Bill

referee54

omega
Country
United States United States
In order to get the best results from elevating, the leg needs to be above the heart. I used a recliner, too---I just put a few more pillows under my legs to get the required elevation.

Tim C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom