BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

How can I find the best surgeon in the Philadelphia area?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by KenUSA36, Jun 8, 2019.

1. KenUSA36

KenUSA36 junior member

United States United States
    My preference is Penn, since they've been amazing every time I've seen them.

I'd rather not do Rothman, because I always feel just liked a rushed number there.

I'm lost trying to figure out who is the best. I don't think anyone in the Philly area routinely does the robot assisted surgery, and I would really love to experience that if possible.

Bonus (not such a bonus): Need the surgeon to be willing to do a bad knee despite being only 37.

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@KenUSA36,
    Since you like Penn, start there, look up the surgeons on the web site. Some will work with in younger patients.
    You may have to call and ask if any of the surgeons work with younger patients.
    You can also use our Surgeon Locator at the top of this page, in the blue banner.

Your age has nothing to do with needing a joint replacement. Why should you put off your life until you are older, and suffer with the grinding pain of arthritis for years until you are "old" enough.

Be sure to fill out the surgeon score card, so you and your surgeon can see just how limited you life has become.
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

Once you have selected some surgeons you can research them with these two surgeon ratings/scorecards.
    ProPublica only rates using Medicare information.

Surgeon Score Card/ProPublica
    https://projects.propublica.org/surgeons/

Surgeon Ratings by Consumer Checkbook
    https://www.checkbook.org/surgeonratings/

All the best in your search,

3. BCSAnna

BCSAnna junior member

@KenUSA36

Like you, my preference for care -especially major surgery - will always be Penn Medicine. Stay away from Rothman. The spouse of a dear friend of mine had a bad, very bad, experience with TKR at Rothman...enough said.:no-fin:

As Pumpkln has advised, and I totally agree, Google Penn Medicine. Once on their website and in the section for Knee Replacement, then just read the patient reviews for each of the different surgeons. And yes, Penn Med does treat younger patients. I just recently became aware of a young woman, age 23, who had both her knees replaced at Penn. So please don't worry about the age factor.

I sincerely wish you the very best and hope that you find the perfect match, in an OS, for you and your criteria.

Anna:flwrysmile:

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

One of our members had a very successful bilateral TKR through Rothman.

I think there are good and bad experiences with every group. My partial has not gone well and yet several of my neighbors have had great results having a TKR with the same surgeon I had.

5. KenUSA36

KenUSA36 junior member

Appreciate the responses everyone. I've had a good experience at Rothman with a shoulder surgery. He's a brilliant doctor that also does knees, but I've learned from this place and others that I need a surgeon who does almost entirely knee replacements. I don't want my knee done by someone that is also doing shoulders, wrists, ACLS, etc. I want a guy or gal that lives and breathes TKRs.

I'll continue my search with Penn. I've already met Dr. Eric Hume. He is incredibly nice and seems amazing, but it seems he is set in his tried and true method. I'm really confused why Penn of all places doesn't have more docs doing the robotic assisted TKR. I believe there's maybe one guy doing it in NJ under Penn.

6. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Google Makoplasty, they have a surgeon locator.

7. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I agree!

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Maybe it's because their surgeons achieve good results without the robot assisted technology.

When push comes to shove, it's the skill of the surgeon that is the most important factor for success, not the technology. Even with robot assisted knee replacements, there can come a time when the surgeon knows better than the robot and has to turn off the technology.

• Agree Agree x 1