BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] How can I break scar tissue without surgery<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by MyTest, Aug 26, 2017.

1. katchmo

katchmo member

United States United States
    Lol, I have felt that way MANY times!!!! :flabber:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MyTest

MyTest member

Hello. So my back went out and I been going to PT for a couple weeks...:shrug: Yesterday I decided to ask the tech to measure my knee. My ROM is 111 (up one) and extension is 1. I was surprised at the extension because when I stand I can tell I am really off balance. But hey, I will take it. Now I just need to get my back under control :beg:
    @funkymuse

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Backs going out really complicate things! It’s really difficult to walk with your back straight and focus on proper gait when those back spasms dictate how you move. :blackcloud: How are you doing with that?

You can have full (0) extension and still feel off-balance because the muscles of the leg that support the knee are weak. That feeling will go away as you walk more and are more active, so build up your leg muscles again. Those muscles help support the knee and will give you back that feeling of balance.

4. MyTest

MyTest member

@SusieShoes thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I pulled my back years ago on the job and have suffered ever since. Usually it goes out 1-2x a year and there is arthritis in my back too. To answer your ques, I been trying to walk straight up/proper. I don't need anything to throw the balance off even more. Also, I am trying to increase my walking to help with the back and gait. I will see what else I can do to build up the leg muscles. thanks again...

• Like Like x 1
  5. jboles

jboles graduate

@MyTest It's so hard to try and do everything correctly isn't it? Stand straight and tall, =back hurts. Walk more to achieve better balance, =back hurts. I feel your pain.:beg:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MyTest

MyTest member

Hello. I thought it was on my thread but there is a list of someone's progress showing how ROM/extension can still continue months out and what their ROM was month to month. Can someone provide that to

7. SusieShoes

You mean this one?

Here is Bertschb's record of his ROM over the full year of his recovery.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
    1. Stop going to PT - all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM
    2. Don't worry about your ROM
    3. Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
    1 month - 60 degrees
    2 months - 80 degrees
    3 months - 85 degrees
    4 months - 90 degrees
    5 months - 90 degrees
    6 months - 110 degrees
    7 months - 120 degrees
    8 months - 125 degrees
    9 months - 130 degrees
    10 months - 135 degrees
    11 months - 140 degrees
    12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months!

Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like Like x 2
  8. MyTest

MyTest member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    And here is another, showing how ROM can still improve, years later:

This is what one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
    92 - 8 weeks post op
    105 - 10 weeks
    107 - 5 months
    110 - 6 months
    112 - 7 months
    116 - 9 months
    119 - 11 months
    118 - 1 yr
    120 - 1yr 2 months
    125 - 1 yr 8 months
    128 – 6 years "

• Like Like x 1
  10. MyTest

MyTest member

Hello All:
    So I was on my feet for several hours Friday. My issue isn't the swelling but a reminder of how I really need zero extension. Even at a 1, there is A LOT of discomfort and pain trying to stand for even a minute. So I am staying focused and determined to get that last bit.

On a mental note, I regret not pursuing further action, legal and medical, when I was injured in PT. I didn't do so at the time because both times I mentioned being injured during PT my Dr sided with PT and said they didn't nothing wrong.
    I have had that bent in my knee since the first month I was in PT, which is 1 yr ago this June. Fingers crossed that a miracle happens. I was told after the first surgery nothing was wrong either but that wasn't true.

Basically, if nothing else from all of this I have learned go with your gut and as Bonesmart says, you control your recovery!!

Sorry just needed to share how I was feeling. Still staying Hopeful !@
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Do you have the option of seeing another OS? If so, make an appointment with one that is far away from your current doctor and has nothing to do the the OS or the PT facility. I think your knee needs someone else to look at it.

12. MyTest

MyTest member

@sistersinhim I saw another Dr probably a couple months ago. He was concerned about the bend too so he told me to regularly work on my extension and to still wait a full year to see how things look. He said the device itself looks fine.

13. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Things do take a year to heal, and your MUA needs to be the starting point for it now, since it traumatizes the knee so much.

14. MyTest

MyTest member

@sistersinhim I def understand about taking a year to heal. I am concerned because the bend has been there since the first month of recovery, way before the MUA. My biggest regret is not addressing it earlier on. Thanks so much for the info!!

15. SusieShoes

I know what you mean about needing to get your extension from 1 to 0. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in comfort when standing. My PT guy told me when my knee (my left was a laggard) got to 0 I would find standing lots easier. He was right. It took a few months to get there but I really noticed the difference because now I can stand for long periods.

What worked best for me was walking. As my knees got better, I could walk further and also started lengthening my stride (just longer, not too long). That naturally stretches the backs of the knees with every step, so it was good. Walking also made all my knee and leg muscles stronger, and improved my stamina, which is also good.

I'm sorry to hear what that PT did to your leg is still bothering you. I'm even sorrier your doctor didn't support you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MyTest

MyTest member

@SusieShoes Thanks!! I am working on getting back to longer walks. I know the pups would enjoy it to. We use to do at least a mile but lately only half. I will make sure to remember to do longer strides.

I was hoping to do a bike charity ride in May for an animal rescue even though I haven't been back on my bike yet...will def need to raise the seat for leg comfort and modify how long I ride..:bicycle2:

• Like Like x 1