BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] How can I break scar tissue without surgery<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by MyTest, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I have trouble ignoring comments also. And yes, some people have already made up their minds about our recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My scar has almost disappeared and I never touched it.

With knees being bad since my preteens, many people made fun of the way I walked. It got to me really bad. Eventually, I confronted one of them at work way back in the 80s. I told him how bad it hurt me when he made fun of my walk. He said he didn't realize it hurt me and apologized. Never did he say another word about it. Once I realized that people didn't really mean to be mean, I just started to ignore the statements. Maybe you should also be honest with those hurtful people and let them know how their comments make you feel. I bet they'll stop!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jockette

I agree with sistersinhim, maybe you should tell them you’ve had several surgeries close together which can add to the length of time it takes to recover and you can’t help that and their comments are making you feel inadequate.

I totally understand how frustrating it is to not live up to others expectations of this recovery and I get angry and just not bother to set them straight since they already have their mind made up. So it seems. But maybe not:

I had a conversation with someone this month on a different type of subject, but I came away feeling she had more understanding. It was about the “exercises we are supposed to do”. She told me she had a friend who still uses a walker because she didn’t do her exercises. Well, we were in a public place, I had just met her, and just hearing her say that made my anger and frustration level rise, because since finding Bonesmart I know that statement wasn’t true. I told her that her friend must have had others issues and that it was not because she hadn’t done “her exercises “. We got interrupted and that was the end of our conversation.

I felt so bad for this friend that I called the woman the next day to ask for the friend’s phone number so I could tell her about Bonesmart. I was in a much calmer frame of mind this time and I told her how hard recovery is, etc. I felt she was very receptive to everything I said, even saying at times she didn’t know...(whatever I had just said) I told her that her friend must have had additional issues and I told her about the Bonesmart approach and the aggressive approach, etc. By the time we hung up she had a different perspective on recovery from a knee replacement, and she really was more understanding. I felt I had converted her!

So maybe if you tell at least one of your coworkers more of what you’re going through, they will be more understanding.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bland9

bland9 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can really empathise with you here , I too need my walking sticks though now I have to have two since my knee replacement ,both my knees now are in a bad state even though had knee surgery on one, though mines a long story, but I too get looked at at work for the way I now walk and the jokes that comes with it , though sure they don't mean to be hurtful I really don't think they understand how painful it can be, and others smile and treat me like I need support and sympathy . sure we need support sat times but understanding is key here and a listening ear would help, and not to say some pain relief ,:flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ColleenAda

ColleenAda junior member

I myself would ditch the pt, rest and heal. Just try and negotiate daily living routines. And then ice some more. Good luck

6. MyTest

MyTest member

Hope everyone is well and ready for the weekend. :egypdance:

Quick question, has anyone noticed when the tight band feeling was starting to dissipate it was painful? I think mine is showing signs of going down/away :fingersx: because I only feel it on the right side of the knee BUT my knee is in a lot of pain; I wanted to slide down the rails in the stairwell yesterday because the steps were killing my kneeS (I don't do elevators). Just curious of your experience. Thanks!!

7. sistersinhim

Did you have your replacement on right knee of the left knee?

8. MyTest

MyTest member

@sistersinhim Hello. I had the TKR on the right knee but the pain I was referring to in my post is on the right side of my Right replaced knee. Instead of the tight band feeling going all the way accross the knee it feels like it's only on the right side. Hope that means it's starting to go down. I just wasn't sure if it should be very painful in the process. Thanks!!

9. sistersinhim

I wasn't sure if it was lateral side, (outside of the knee), or the medial side, (inside of the knee). Your knee, since the MUA, is only 5 months old. It's natural to have different aches and pains as your recovery continues. My right side, (lateral), was hugely numb and part of it still is. As the numbness shrank, I had zingers and still have mild ones. Could this be what you are experiencing? If not, rest that knee and let the muscle/tendon calm down.

10. MyTest

MyTest member

@sistersinhim I am familiar with zingers but I was having alot of pain.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wanted to know if what I am experiencing is normal or can at least happen. Thanks!!

11. sistersinhim

Has it eased up any yet?

12. MyTest

MyTest member

Just sharing. I was walking through the house tonight and tripped on a rug. First of all the pain! Then I was shocked and worried! My knee had no bounce/flexibility so when I kicked the rug it was like kicking a wall and the pain bounced back. I am scared because my knee felt similar to this before the MUA. Before the MUA my knee wouldn't move past a certain point so when I tripped it was the same thing, my knee stopped at a certain point. I am just hoping it didn't go past a certain point due to swelling and not a little bit of scar tissue in there too. Also prior to tripping, the pain I mentioned in my previous post came back so I been using my cane over the weekend.

Saying a Prayer for all of us tonight

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  13. Jockette

I’m sorry you tripped and are hurting more than you were. Hopefully the knee is just upset, mine is such a drama queen about things.

I have prayed for all of us, too. This experience has opened my eyes to a world of pain and suffering that I never knew existed. Before my surgery I knew nothing about this recovery.

Hugs to you, I hope you’ll recover from this latest episode in your recovery quickly. I have found that the further along I am, the quicker I recover from things that come up, like a bump or a trip or too much of a bend than I wasn’t expecting. :console2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. katchmo

katchmo member

Hello @MyTest , I just read through your whole thread, and what an ordeal you have been through, I am so sorry! Yeah, those trips and loss of balance can be so painful. The other day I stepped on a foam mattress that was on the floor with my TKR leg (company was sleeping there, not when I stepped on it haha, and I needed to get to the closet on the other side.) I lost my balance and my muscles all tightened up to catch myself and it was 10/10 on the pain scale! I also noticed my knee was immediately much looser, so I think I gave myself a mini MUA, lol. Of course it all tightened up and was more sore for a few days. I hope you feel better soon. Also I was wondering if you ever got on gabapentin? I hate taking pills, but gabapentin has helped me A LOT. You may want to discuss it with your primary.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jockette

We call those manipulation Without
    anesthesia! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MyTest

MyTest member

@katchmo Hello. Glad you didn't injure your knee but I havee heard of that happening before, people trip/fall and breaking the scar tissue, etc.

As for gabapentin, I have never heard of it before. I will read up on it and see what the Dr suggest, thank you!

17. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Reading about your encounter with the rug made me wince. I hope your knee bounces back quickly. As recovery progresses, knees throw off minor twinges faster than they do earlier in the healing. Things like bumps, jams, awkward bends and turns are bound to happen along the way, life being what it is. They happened to our knees before and they continue to happen, so the protheses are constructed to allow for such things. It's our soft tissues that have to toughen up a bit still. :umm:

• Like Like x 2
  18. MyTest

MyTest member

@SusieShoes thank you!! I iced my knee for a lengthy time this a.m. My concern is how hard my knee feels and like before, it bends to a certain point and stops. That's the hard point I felt when I tripped. I am hoping there is no scar tissue again and it's ALL just swelling but it sure did remind me of how my knee felt before the MUA.

:fingersx: crossed!

19. katchmo

katchmo member

On Nov 8th, page 6, you mentioned that a coworker recommended it to you, that's why I asked. It has really helped me with the sharp knife like pains under my kneecap. Muscle soreness, tightness, overuse pain, all that I can seem to handle. But those pains under the kneecap anytime I tried to use my quad muscle were unbearable, and the gabapentin has really helped and aided my recovery. Not giving you medical advice, just sharing my own experience.

20. MyTest

MyTest member

@katchmo OH my, I sure did. :sorry:Where and who did I get that from? Now you have me thinking. I was probably so out of it at the time that I forgot. Plus I still had some oxy in Nov. so I prob just took the oxy. Guese my mind is going along with my knee...thanks