BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[MUA] How can I break scar tissue without surgery<<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by MyTest, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

United States United States
    9 months here and mine is still tight and there’s no way I can do stairs normally.

I was just thinking last night, what if it stays this way. :yikes:

Trying to keep the faith that all will be well in time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My internal swelling never felt like a tight band, either. It was (and occasionally still is) more like what you describe, kind of thick. I find icing still helps when it appears. Also, sometimes weather brings it on. It helps mentally when I can blame it on the weather.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MyTest

MyTest member

@Jockette Hello. That's my concern too, is it going to stay this way. But I tell myself I am just hit 6 months so give it more time. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

@SusieShoes Hello, hate what you have endured with the swelling/feeking but it's nice to know someone else understands what I am referring to and now I know I am not totally crazy! I have the weather issue too but since I work etc I have to just make it work. Thanks for reaching out and understanding. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

4. MyTest

MyTest member

@SusieShoes @Jockette

Also I am giving my knee to the first of the year to see if that feeling changes. If not, I want to have it xrayed to make sure I haven't damaged a ligament. I assume that's why the dr has me on anti inflamm med but I have been taking that for months, prob too long, and haven't seen any help. The inside is VERY thick and is affecting bend/walk. That can't be good long term. Thanks again!!!

5. AnnieC

AnnieC member

South Africa South Africa
    Any intense, sharp pain should be reported to your doctor imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tanya76

Tanya76 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi. I have the thick tight band feeling completely over the front of my knee which is def hindering the bend. It’s a horrible feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

From reading numerous threads it seems that most people have the thick or tight band feeling around their knee and yes it totally feels like it hinders movement - In fact I'm sure IT IS hindering movement! My PT says it's internal scar tissue forming BUT from what I'm told here, it is swelling in the internal pockets inside the knee cavities. Mine gets worse when I overdo or my knee is tired and lets up after rest. BUT as soon as I get up and moving about, it comes back sometimes worse than others. Also from what I've read here it takes awhile to go away. What I don't understand is how those with great bend can get that bend with that type of swelling going on.. since some of us cannot or are very slow to gain it. :what:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

We should all write “recovery takes a year” 100 times, or until we “get it”.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@MyTest, you're just two months out from an MUA that re-injured your healing knee, so those injured parts --scar tissue or otherwise-- are still in an early stage of recovery. Swelling is normal for the first few months. It's normal for that swelling to continue in some knees for even longer. One of my knees was free of stiffness at three months. The other knee continued to be stiff on and off until six months had passed. And even now I will get some swelling if I've been on my knees a whole lot, or sitting for too long, like when I drove seven hours to visit the grandkids. That kind of situational swelling could continue for a while --but it is normal.

So many factors contribute to swelling, how much and how long, that it's impossible to say who will have what results and when. I've heard one thing from my doctor and another from my PT. The one thing I've seen that consistently affects swelling is when a knee is over-exercised --and I know that because I did it to my own knees while overdoing things. :groan:

Keep in touch with your OS if you're concerned. You should keep on top of the anti-inflammatory meds and determine whether you should still be taking them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MyTest

MyTest member

@funkymuse its like you wrote your post just for me My exact sentiments. I had the tight band after the first surgery but I got worried because it's like 3 x the size this time around. Fingers crossed :fingersx: that the day of little to no swelling comes soon for both of us.

@Jockette thanks for the reminder

@SusieShoes don't laugh :giggle: but I almost forgot about the MUA. I need to start the clock over . Thank you for the info and reminders, very helpful!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's normal and it's going to hang around for a long time yet, so get used to it. It will gradually fade away.
    "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:rofsign::rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

So glad your bend is still there! that is encouraging for me since I'm fairly certain an MUA is coming for me on Feb 8th.
    :scaredycat:

14. Beckadeez

Beckadeez senior

I do, after I’ve been on my legs for a while. It pretty much goes away when I rest and is fine after I’ve slept all night. It’s swelling

• Like Like x 1
  15. MyTest

MyTest member

Hello, I tell ya some days it's hard :headbang:... My knee feels like a brick inside and now I have returned to using a cane in the evenings. Because my extension isn't zero, I am off balanced so my left knee has started hurting 'daily' for appx. 3-4 wk. I get intense sharp pains! A couple of nights I got up for the restroom and was holding the walls because the pain was so bad in 'BOTH' knees. Bengay is my new bff :). Using the cane helps me balance myself and when I have alot of pain and can't move too well. BUT I can't bring myself to use it during the day. So many folks in my area at work had a knee replaced but I am the only one with issues so the assumption is 'I didn't do what I was supp to'...let alone my team lead thinks I took too much time off for the surgery so if he sees a cane he will probably have anxiety!!

On a good note, I am picking back up on walking the pups...as much as I can. :puppysmooze:
    Thinking of trying my bike soon just to see if I can ride it. Have a good one!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Beckadeez

Beckadeez senior

My other knee hurts also, sometimes very badly. I use a walker during the night to go to the bathroom because I’m unsteady when I’ve been asleep. Try not to blame yourself. This recovery is hard. Everyone is different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Babushelen

Babushelen junior member

@MyTest I have been reading your thread because I was looking for information about how to massage the TKR scar.

I notice you are not using your cane. Is it possible that all the pain and swelling is due to not using the cane during the day? I notice that if I walk without my cane, I get more swelling, stiffness, and pain. One of the most useful tips I got from my PT was that I should walk with a cane until I have mastered walking correctly. That is, ball of the foot to heel. I’m still quite stiff so I do the Frankenstein walk.

I do understand your predicament and what you believe are the perceptions of people at work. I go through the same things. This weekend we went to eat out a couple of times and I was convinced in my mind people were staring. My husband calls it my anesthesia mind. I know that is different than your situation since you might feel pressured to recover faster.

I encourage you, as I encourage myself daily, to take care of yourself and be less mindful of what you think others might think about the pace of your recovery.

I have to manage my own expectations on a daily basis. Every time I start feeling anxious about where I think I should be, I read all the helpful articles in this forum and others’ recovery. If it wasn’t for BoneSmart I think I would lose my mind.

I know the feeling of the tight band (in my case) above the knee. I know it is swelling. I’m not going to PT anymore. The last time I went was a week ago and she worked me so hard, I had (and still have) a bruise on my shin.

I wish you the best in your recovery. Be kind to yourself and your knee. This journey is not a sprint; it is a marathon. Slow and steady progress is the key. You will have good days and not so good days. Above all, avoid comparing your recovery with others.

God Bless you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. funkymuse

funkymuse senior

Sorry you are having such issues @MyTest - sending you a hug...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think that Babushelen has given you good advice. Keep using the cane and don't worry about what other people think. It's your life and your knee, so do what you have to, to help your knee. What other people think is their problem, not yours.

Nobody else's knee was in exactly the same condition as yours before surgery; nobody else had exactly the same amount of work done in their knee during surgery; and nobody else's knee recovered exactly the same way as yours is doing. If anyone asks you, tell them that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. MyTest

MyTest member

@Babushelen Hello and thank you!! Actually, I was wondering about continuing with the cane until my walk is steady/normal so thanks for letting me know what your PT suggested. I will start using it more often. In my case, I have had actual comments from coworkers but it's like their mind is already made up about my progress so I don't bother trying to explain it anymore. I just need to get better at not letting them get to me.

As for my scar, once it fully closed up I would take a little bit of coco butter and gently massage my whole knee. I also took a finger and rubbed the scar from top to bottom and I would rub the puffy area a little more. My scar is flat now. I would assume that's from time and massaging it.

Thanks again for the kind words and suggestions!!