Hours after replacement surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda2

post-grad
Hi I am Bill and Linda asked me to write and provide an update. Linda went through total knee replacement surgery this morning at 11:00. Her surgery lasted right at 2 hours, she was in the recovery room for another two hours and when I saw her in her room, following recovery, she was alert and comfortable. She told me to tell everyone that she definitely recommends the spinal.

Hey that is great for Linda!!
Glad she is on the other side and on to recovery. Also glad she is comfortable.
Judy

congrats to Linda for coming through. Give her our hellos and best for a quick heal.

Congratulations on Linda's safely coming through the tkr. I hope she recovers quickly and has her life back just as quickly. No one can know what it is like to go through this surgery unless they go through it themselves or a loved one who goes through it with them. I will keep her in my prayers. Rowdy

Likewise, please give her my best. My pain-control post-surgery was LOUSY, as they'd considered my fentanyl patch -- which was no longer controlling my pain pre-surgery...) as part of my pain control instead of a baseline and indicator of my tolerance for narcotics. My PM Doc was LIVID when I finally got to talk to him... I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

My biggest advice is (1) Tough through the PT -- it gets easier day by day... and (2) if they're not controlling your pain, then raise hell until they do. There's no excuse for allowing you to suffer when they have the ability to prevent it.

HTH/G*d bless !!

DD

I have copied everyone's reply and will take it back to the hospital this evening for Linda. She is in a great deal of pain today, and I know your well wishes will be well received. Thanks all.

Keep your head up, Linda. You've made it to the other side!! Good for you in making it this far, and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Best of luck,
Hess

Like DD said, make sure they help you manage the pain effectively. I'm surprised she's in alot of pain at the hospital... you'd think they'd manage it very well there.

Tell her not to be afraid to ask for meds... She will need it to heal! If she's in pain, she can't do the required exercises effectively.

Best wishes to her - when will she be home? I'm also in Michigan and they let me stay 24 hours... I also had a spinal and felt great right after. I don't think my pain level was over a 2 or 3 in the hospital. Hope she gets some relief.

Laurie

Laurie

Bill -
Thanks for posting for Linda - Please let her know we are glad she made it through. Please help her out by advocating for pain management - there is no reason for her to be in pain. My first night when the nerve block wore off was awful until they got the meds straightened out. The second night was so much better - due to a fantastic nurse who set it up so I would get a strict regime of pain meds and flexiril which really made the difference - fight for her with the nurses to manage the pain - based on my experience and from what I have read there is no reason we should be in pain while in the hospital - Advocate for her please! I wish my other half would have known to do that for me. Keep her company and wish her well!

Marianne

Onya. Its a real battle for a short while from here, but it will get better and better, my thoughts are with you, from an aussie guy, god bless, Ern

Linda
I am a hippy, do not remember the day of surgery. The next 2 days were the hardest, then it gets better.
Do make sure the pain meds are not delayed. They always asked me if I wanted 1 or 2. I always asked for 2.
Judy

When the asked me if I wanted 1 or 2, I always asked for 3....put it under the pillow for a rainy day....just sayin'

Tell her congratulations and good wishes.

There's no lie the next few weeks can be tough, but it will be better and before she knows it she'll be telling everyone "I'm so glad I had it done." (Seems like 95% end up talking like that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back