Hot tub or bath after surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starryeyes708

Country
United States United States
Been 7 weeks post op and all is going well. During my 6 week post appointment my dr said to wait a little while before I go into my hot tub. Well what is a little while? My incision looks good and healed. Any advise? Miss my tub!

Hi Starry - My doc said no baths for six weeks. I'd check with your os but it is probably ok

Doncha just love'm?!! :rofsign: A "little while" roughly equates to that other unknown quantity "how long is a piece of string"!!

There are two issues connected with having a hot bath.

1. the wound - if it has a nice waterproof dressing, it should be okay.

2. getting in and out - okay if you have no restrictions (specifically the 90 degree one) but if you don't, jump in as soon as you feel up to it. Just make sure you have someone on hand in case you hit problems getting out. But once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be fine.

My doc told me that as long as the wound was completely healed--no scabs or openings, I could sit in a hot tub. And he thought the risk was much less with a personal hot tub than in a public one.

Two points from me;
1 Plan your getting in and out of bath/tub carefully. My neighbour dislocated her hip 12 weeks post surgery when she slipped - so not worth it.

2 My hip was healed but when i had bath about 6 weeks it opened up the incision fractionally and first of many internal stitches came out. I guess this would have happened anyway and the bath just helped it on its way.
Unknown-1.jpeg
I love water, baths, swimming, hot tubs infact anything other than showers.
Good luck - I am not usually a "doom merchant' so take care and enjoy x

I got into a bath at six weeks as it drove me up the wall and I ended back on a crutch for a few days but tried again at eight weeks but boy oh boy I celebrated big time. got some of the wife's candles and a couple of cans of cold Stella to celebrate LOVED IT. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom