Bilateral TKR Hot knees - 2 month update

Thank you and I agree. I was afraid of not doing enough and realized too much Is worse as you referenced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

I have yet to have my op but do know a lot about cramps !! I found a magnesium supplement (tablet) once a day has worked miracles for me. Hard to recall when I had my last cramp, before that could be nightly !

Hope things improve.

Thanks
Starting to use a product that dissolves in water NUUN which seems to helps bit
Has magnesium, potassium.
Appreciate the tip

I had cramps in my quads, mostly when standing up from a lower surface. Once they relaxed, I was left with pain for days. I think it was just my quads were still weak and protesting. My doctor prescribed methocarbamol, which is a muscle relaxer, for 10 days and that did the trick. My PT and I also felt it allowed me to progress farther. He has now been doing NMES to increase the firing of the quads. @Josephine , it is true that Diazepam is a sedative, and not a pain reliever, but it sounds like his doctor prescribed it for the muscle relaxing properties for the cramps. I agree it is probably not the best choice due to the sedative affects.
I think drinking plenty of water is good, and bananas won't hurt you. I don't agree with jumping on the magnesium bandwagon every time someone has cramps. In my opinion, unless you have a documented deficiency, supplements are a waste of money, and you can over do.
I found it interesting that one poster found a relationship between steroid shots pre surgery, and cramps. I noticed that twice with me, although my doctor didn't agree with that.

Like others sleeping is problematic. Mentioned in my recovery thread difficulty (significant) with cramping at nighttime.

Taking many things, N U U N, bananas, etc.
I made the mistake of allowing the therapist push my right left down to get back to 0, I had tapered off exercises because of cramps and was at 3
And 119 after 5 weeks, left is amazing good at -1 and 131
I should have listened to my body and stopped but my competitiveness to get to 0 and back to 124 cause my ego to overcome good sense.

This won’t happen again.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping, at 5 weeks? I get half hour and my body now sends me a warning that the cramp is beginning and I awake and stretch, heel slides to stop when possible the cramp from taking over.

Then it’s back to sleep for 30 minutes and the process repeats. Weird I know that my body wakes but when a full cramp happens my entire right leg curls underneath me and even with my with holding and massaging it is immensely hard to stop.

The muscles afterwards feel like someone took a baseball bat to them and are sore for the next 24 -36 hours.

Trying massages from my most amazing wife this evening with hope that meds and the usual extras will allow me to sleep

Thank you all for the forum and your thoughts

Richard

@Alloyssius , I don't have leg cramping, but a lot of leg achiness and a little restless leg syndrome. I have been taking a warm shower to relax my leg before bed and it helps a lot.

Anyone else having trouble sleeping, at 5 weeks? I get half hour and my body now sends me a warning that the cramp is beginning and I awake and stretch, heel slides to stop when possible the cramp from taking over.

Then it’s back to sleep for 30 minutes and the process repeats.
I'm afraid that sleep disturbance is very common post-op. Did you see this article in the post-op reading?
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

But those cramps sound really nasty.
I wonder if they're a manifestation of trying to do too much during the daytime?

In any case, it would be a good idea to let your surgeon know how bad they are, and ask if there is any medication that he/she could prescribe, to lessen them.

@Alloyssius I had some initial issues with calf cramps in my TKR leg. I contacted my primary care physician by email and he prescribed some muscle relaxers that helped tremendously.

Rom is fine, 0 and 133. & 135
Swelling left knee still pretty massive but even in the morning with little swelling knees are hot.
Little hot water bottles.

No redness, lines or indication of infection.

Is this a common occurrence having very warm knees at 2 months?

Thanks for any suggestions, am doing PT for strength and not overdoing or allowing Therapist to manipulate.

Usually bicycle for 8 minutes, rubber band hip exercises and squats with giant ball against the wall and balance board. All lasting 35-45 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Alloyssius
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

You are still in the very early days of recovery, it is normal to have swelling and warmth. If you are concerned give your OS a call.

Usually bicycle for 8 minutes, rubber band hip exercises and squats with giant ball against the wall and balance board. All lasting 35-45 minutes
This is probably too much for your knees, stop all squats, too hard on your knees. Cut the rest of your exercises in half and see if your knees settle down.

You are still in the very early days of recovery, it is normal to have swelling and warmth. If you are concerned give your OS a call.

This is probably too much for your knees, stop all squats, too hard on your knees. Cut the rest of your exercises in half and see if your knees settle down.

Thanks, it didn’t seem hard to do those but you’re probably right, will cut back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom