Hot Knee/Torn Calf (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Knee/Torn Calf

Thats what mine would have done I told him we need to be on the same page.....But i still over ride him becasue I want them to know I not going to let them run over me but I have to say doesnt always work....its tough these days........

Kim,

So sorry about the continued pain in the leg. Did he indicate if it will heal on it's own or said he needs to repair it? I know the thought of another surgery is beyond you at this point. For a while I wished my right leg was retractable so I could take it off when I was fed up with it. Rick thought I was silly, but I guess you know that feeling.

I will continue to lift you up in prayer for total healing without any further surgeries. Hang in there and let your leg dictate what you do. It's hard being left behind and so tiresome. Eventually it will be better....the waiting is the hardest part. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Blessings,

0oh yeah!!! Use THAT boot if you hafta, Kim!!! Is it better to wear it or not? It sounds like such a confusing injury. And you just need it to be healed already!!! (:)0)

Hey rRse he is ASSUMING that its not healing on its own becasue it the same I am just going to hang in there ah=while its been along time now...so i have figured out how to do things to deal with it......lol I know what you mean i believe i made the same or similar comment to my husband,.......i hope yours gets better...but its sounds like you are doing really good right now and for what its worth im rally proud of you..and thanks............

Yes Juldes I carry my ball and chain everywhere.........I agree becasue if it was the calf like he said it should be somewhat better......just tired of being the ginny pig......he said when he did his last lil prob thingy it was torn but didnt think it was that bad but maybe it cant heal on its own.....IDK.....So what did Serena's Punishment end up do you know !!!!!!!!

Kim,
I do not think you should be running around on that leg!!! Just sain

Calf Muscle Strain
Pain that occurs in the calf muscle on the lower part of the leg often is the result of a pulled or torn calf muscle. This is called a calf strain. It occurs when part of the muscle of the lower leg (gastrocnemius or soleus) is torn away from the Achilles tendon.
A calf strain is similar to an Achilles tendon tear or rupture, but occurs higher up in the back of the leg. A sign of a calf strain is similar to that of an Achilles tendon rupture - you may think you've just been hit in the leg and hear a "pop." There is sudden pain at the back of the leg, pain, swelling or bruising in the calf muscle, and you have difficulty standing on the toes.

This injury happens during acceleration or changes in direction. The torn calf muscle may spasm, and contract forcefully. The toes will point down. Bruises show up in the foot and ankle due to pooling of blood from internal bleeding.

Calf strains may be minor or very severe and physician grade the injury according:

Grade 1 Calf Strain : The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately two weeks.
Grade 2 Calf Strain : There is partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks.
Grade 3 Calf Strain : This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.
Treatment
The first treatment is R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Wrap the calf to keep the blood from pooling in the foot, and keep it elevated for the first 24 hours to reduce swelling . Anti-inflammatory medication may help reduce pain. Eventually, the muscle reattaches to the tendon; however, and the calf is often shorter than before the injury and prone to repeat injury.

A visit to a physician and or a physical therapist is recommended to ensure in fast rehab.

Typical rehab for a calf strain depends upon the severity of the injury, and includes the following.

Rest the muscle. Avoid activities that cause pain. Avoid impact activity or excessive stretching (no running, jumping, or weightlifting). Do not return to your sport until you are pain-free.
Passive Stretching. When acute pain is gone, begin stretching the muscle moderately with passive range of motion stretching. Gently pull your foot and toes up with legs straight if possible to stretch the calf muscle. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat 5 to 10 times.
Active stretching. Pull your foot and toes up (using the muscles in the front of your leg) to stretch the calf muscle. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat 5 to 10 times.
Progressive Strengthening Exercises. Start with exercise tubing or a band and hook it under your toes and press down gently using light resistance. Point your foot down against resistance and then slowly return to the start position. Do 10 reps, rest and repeat 5 to 10 times.

The goal of rehab is to return to normal activity as quickly as possible without any long-term effects. If you return too soon, you risk developing a chronic injury.

Thats what he is saying it may need to be repaired !!!!!!!!!!!Cant stretch the calf muscle when you have to wear a boot that prevents you from doing that....He wants no exercise. I can assure you Im not running around on the leg...Thank you for the post, lot of info.....

I would think Kim's OS would know all this!!!
Kim! I hope everything works out well....(You NEVER complain, Girl!!!)

Kim,
I just want you to get better!!!
Judi I never said her OS didn't know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim,
I do not understand why it would be wrong for me to be
concerned?? But hey I can forget about it no problem.

Poor Kimmie, I know it's really getting old!!! I was just thinking that maybe if you took vitamin C it would help. If you get Buffered Vitamin C or Sodium Ascorbate, they don't bother the stomach. They come as a powder you mix in water, so they're easy to take.

The Medline Plus website says:
Vitamin C is required for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is necessary to form collagen, an important protein used to make skin, scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. Vitamin C is essential for the healing of wounds, and for the repair and maintenance of cartilage, bones, and teeth.

I know with all the stress you've had that you could use some extra vitamins. I sure hope it heals fast with No More Surgery!

Pat

This is the good doctor. I'm sure he knows what he is doing and has given Kim the correct instructions.
I actually had a minor or medium calf strain and was allowed to walk, although it wasn't always easy and certainly not painless.

I was wondering if Kim's was more at the top of the calf instead of near the ankle. But either way the doc knows what he is doing. And what she has been through.
Actually if it was the same type i had and the one yuo gave us info on the doc could not have seen the tear during a knee scope. The achilles is near the ankle.
So must be at the topo of the calf muscle
judy

Hey Pat I agree I need to do that.........If it works ill try......Im sure i dont get enough vit c..........Thank you.......

Judy, It is right behind the back of the knee maybe a lil , lil lower ........Yes top of the calf. You got it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we all should give Kim a rest on it!!! Calling! That stuff is so cut and dried though....ya think??? Let's hope nature takes its course!!!

Yes Kim told us that her is at the top. Do you think that it makes a difference in recovery?? I would think that icing and resting it would still be the best for it.

Its really all ok.....I do Ice, ALOT take medicine where boot. Same ole same ole nothing works believe me I have tried.....

I think we are just going to have to pray really hard for you!!
Hate to think that you have to be in pain!!!

Thanks, thats why I've just decided to wait.....just wait and see....Thanks all of you !!!!!!!! It will be just fine......

Just might have to paint the boot though....lol

I think we all should give Kim a rest on it!!! Calling! That stuff is so cut and dried though....ya think??? Let's hope nature takes its course!!!

What color were ya thinking, Kim??? You need a project this weekend I bet!!! (???). (:)0)

Hum I dont know I only have a few colors left unless I mix them this time......lol.....But I had to use some paint becuz Rocky (dog) and his cone is taring up my walls......He gets so mad at that hing its not funny but sometimes he gets so mad its makes me laugh....I do have a pic but nervous to post lil weird i call him my weirdo now he wags his tail........lol...I want to but one of those see thru glass big front doors I love those doors you know that funny glass that you can see thru but its fuzzy.........

I've always wondered how dogs react with those cones on, I only see them out for walks and really feel bad
judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads