Hot Knee/Torn Calf (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas

alpha
Well I thought it went anyway. Up last night crying trying to put ice in the tub and my leg in with it. I have read all the posts on hot knees, but to the point were I sweat sometimes. This is so strange that it gets this intense that I cry. Dr said its normal. Did blood work to make sure there was no infection and there is none. Any one having or had this problem please help, any ideas Im up for anything. I ice all the time. Im at 10 weeks. Please give me an idea when yours went away. I am doing a lot more getting out and about ( I don't think to extreme at all ), is that wrong ? I am at wits end with this..

Re: Really Hot Knee

I was still getting a hot/warm knee at your stage and am still using ice pack about 3 times a day. It was also swollen so I have compression socks that I wear about half the day and I take a water tablet each morning. I think that the warmth comes from inflammation - maybe you are overdoing it a bit. Do you take anti-inflammatories?

Poor you, Kim, you are obviously a hot-blooded person!!!
My knees get warmer (I wouldn't say they were hot) as I do more exercise. Even the first TKR still gets a bit warm sometimes.

You could move to a colder climate :hehe: No, I don't think that's the answer.

Hopefully someone will come up with some ideas to help you.

When is it that you go to see that new OS?

I do take advil, I guess that's good, it doesn't look that swollen..IDK. I go see the knew one on the 25th. It gets so hot , when I put the ice pack on it, it gets like condensation underneath and slides off, and the ice pack get warm ...just,...I don't know !!! Stives I'll pack up right now.lol. It is a bit hot here. Today again 100 , feels like 105 I think they said...

Kim,
I went thru the hot knee quite often as I was in early recovery. I limited doing stairs at that time, rode my stationary bike for 10-20 minutes daily (1 or 2 10 minute sessions). I also made sure I elevated my knee above my heart while sitting in the recliner. I am fortunate we already owned a Berkline Shiatsu Massage Chair recliner with mulitiple reclining levels (electric), so it was easy to get my feet and knees above the level of my heart. I also slept in this chair as it was very comfortable lined with a twin size feather bed. I had sewn a cover to fit it out of a good quality queen size flat sheet.
Rest, elevation, and ice were what worked. I took Delaudid as my pain medication along with Vistaril and anti itch relaxant pain reliever.

Poor you Kim. And to be lliving in a hot climate sure does not help. I remember when I had my cervical surgery in the middle of summer, I had a lovely neck brace on , I was so hot with nothing to ice.

Maybe even the little extra you are doing is too much. I know it is difficult to think that, but that is what I have found. What are you taking for pain? Probably not enough. Glad there is no infection. Do you get to elevate at all during the day? Yesterday I did a little extra hiking and when I got home my back (recent surgery) hurt so bad, I could do nothing but sit with heat. I should have iced, but I was bad.

Kim you need to baby yourself this week and take enough meds (I hope you have something more than aleve) elevate, ice, pretend it is week 2 of recovery. I'm serious.
How old are your kids?
judy:cnsl:

I do take hydrocondone, advil, but it doesnt make the heat go away. Really it gets so intense sometimes I am at a lose. About the elevating. Does swelling make it hot? I do take all the medicine, ice but no I didnt elevate. Im still learning I guess. I trust each of you. I will try it today. I really was going great, so I guess I though ok lets go. Last night I even had an ice pack on my head I felt so hot...Sometimes I just think Im 10 weeks shouldnt I be going out, grocery shopping, running the kids, IDK. Really thank you all !!!

Kim,
Yes! Elevating is one of the basics of any athletic injury but especially post TKR. RICE....
R equals rest
I equals ice
C equals compression
E equals elevate

So yes, elevating it will help with the swelling which reduces the heat within as you make the swelling go away. The OS prescribed Celebrex for me for the first couple of months 3 to 4 times/day. Then as time went by it was 3/day, then 2/day, and then only at night for about 2 weeks. It helped greatly.

Kim,
Both my knee's still get hot!! I thought that it meant they were still healing. (Or more scare tissue was growing, just what I don't need) But I put ice packs on the back and front of knee untill it lessens. Then I get back to doing what needs to be done. I guess I just thought that it was normal in healing. I do know that it shocks people to feel how hot they can get!! The look on their faces is priceless!! LOL

I really didnt know that. I am setting up my pillows now. I will try it, boy I will be so so happy if this goes away. I am excited just thinking it might go away...Thanks so so much...You all are the best !!!
I know my husband will feel it and just say hummm wow !!!!!. Im just like hummm help me !!!

Hi Kim,

If the doc has said there is no infection, then it would just be part of the healing process, my knee stayed hot then warm for a long time and still can warm up more than the other one when I've been out and about. I just look at it as necessary healing happening, and I'd rather know if there was more healing needed, that my body kept doing it. It is probably hard if the weather is adding to your body heat too.

Hang in there Kim, it gets better!

Kim
Sorry to hear you are having the hot knee again. I must have just missed you last night. I could not sleep, not because of the knee, but just could not sleep.

Went to the water therapy today. I loved it . I again have a really good therapist. She said I was in great shape, so I did not feel alot of the stretch. But she said I would get really tired in a couple of hours and will feel some pain. It has been almost two hours and I don't feel anything yet, so maybe I won't. Hope I don't.
Will go again on Thursday and I can't wait. Love the water.I have always loved the water, I use to compete in swimming and diving.
Feel better soon.

Oh Kim...so.sorry you're having so much pain still! Have you done regular hydo therapy? I wonder if that's the answer! Your knee is protesting that you're doing too much!

I do hydro every other day. It doesnt really hurt , its just hot. It was fine from about 6am-12 today. Then a did the bike for 20 min and here we are again. Im sorry I know you guys are getting sick of hearing it. Im getting sick of hearing it as well. Just lost, thats all. Still glad I did the TKR though , it would be so much better if this was gone. I still consider myself one of the lucky ones though, could be worse. Hope you are having a good day. Is it hot where are ? I wish we would get rain maybe cool this place down a lil...

Here in New Hampshire, it has rained at one time or another 13 out of the last 14 days here. We finally have some sun shining this afternoon, and it is supposed to be a beautiful day tomorrow (75-80 degrees). It has been in the high 40's to low 50's at night and about 65-70 during the day. Great sleeping weather.

Kim
Why don't you do like I think Chrysal said. Only do a couple mins at a time on the bike. Maybe that would help. IDK because I have not had a hot knee at all. My maybe a little warm sometimes, but have never even noticed that.

Ok I am ready to go back up to my friends cabin in NH on the lake.
Oh to have weather like that. This 100 degree is getting me and Kim down.

Right, I think its actually 105 today..with humidity. I sooo miss New York...I really do. We should go stay with Judles till summer is over...lol...jj Judles. What is the hottest it gets there. Then you really dont have the humidity do you....I want some snow. ooww stick my leg in that. probably melt the place, forget snow blowers Ill just walk on the pathways clear it all up...

Oh Linds thank you. I have so just ordered 2..lol. I love it, wont slide off. wraps around. ... Thank you so much I cant wait till it comes..Thank you really from the bottom of my heart............Ill let ya know how it does. But I loks great........All of you guys are so great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom