TKR Hospital stay

Furbabymom

Country
United States United States
My surgery coordinator just informed me that due to Covid I’m scheduled as outpatient surgery
spend 2 nights in 2019 after RTKR, in hospital , she forgot to mention this change at time of scheduling.
confused ,,.thinking of canceling , any options on that please

That seems to be happening here too, in Canada. I would never have been able to do my TKR outpatient, even 2 nights wasn't enough as I was in such bad shape and pain plus nausea, no appetite...ugh! It was a huge success in the end but the beginning was tough.

There have been at least 3 or 4 on this site that recently had TKR's, some bilateral on outpatient basis. Maybe they can pipe in. I can't even imagine it. I was recently in hospital for a week after breaking my femur and ORIF surgery. Good luck whatever you decide. You do what is best for you.

I was scheduled for out patient also... do to COVID my doctor thought it was a safer option.... he said everyone that goes into the outpatient center is checked prior to entering and at a hospital both sick and well people enter. The nurses at my center were awesom. unfortunately I had to spend the night because of the saddle block I couldn’t pee...but left at 8 am the next morning

I did my RTKR as an outpatient due to covid on March 8th. I went in at 6:00 and came home with my husband at 5:00pm. I went all alone. PT came to my room before I left. I was not out of my bed except to leave. I have no other experience to compare it to but I think you can manage well if you have good help. My husband set an alarm for every four hours for meds. He looked after helping me to the toilet, in the shower on a shower chair...I returned to the hospital to Ambulatory care alone on day four. That was hard because the wheelchair did not elevate my leg while I waited. The next time I brought a leg lifting strap. My surgeon asked a lot of questions before allowing me this opportunity. You need to stay on top of meds. You need a washroom on the same level as your bedroom. My house is a four level split so I stayed downstairs. I am 65 and did fine. Take colace to not get constipated from the pain meds! Drink lots of water. Let us know what you decide.

My surgery is tomorrow I have to be at the hospital at 5 am I’m his first surgery of the day and I’m there for 1 night I am in Illinois.
Last August for my RTKR same way. I was home by noon the next day.

It's so frustrating to expect one thing and be told it'll be something else. I'm in the reverse situation. Was scheduled for THR over the winter at an outpatient surgical center to limit COVID-19 risk. Unfortunately, I had a DVT/PE, was hospitalized 4 days which pushed my surgery back 6+ months. But they want my July surgery in the hospital now because of my now higher risk. So at least here in my area they are scheduling some joint replacements in the hospital now. May be worth expressing your strong preference and seeing if they're willing to accommodate you given declining case loads and increased vaccination rates...

@Furbabymom, I have only ever had out-patient surgery, with the exception of a tonsillectomy when I was 10 years old:). My right partial knee replacement 5 years ago was in an amazing out-patient center. No issues when I returned home. My husband was there to take care of me. My LTKR was six days ago and same surgeon, same surgery center. I felt I received individualized care there. I was the only one in the recovery area! My surgery check-in was at 6 a.m. and I was released @ 1 p.m. I also had a session with the PT before I left. The nurses and doctor were on the phone with my husband throughout the morning/early afternoon.
My medicine was provided to me several days prior to the surgery so that I could work with my doctor's office to come up with a medication schedule. I was happy with the out-patient arrangement, but I do have a very healthy, energetic and caring husband, who has taken one entire month of family leave to help me. I had no special medical concerns prior to the surgery.
I wish you all the best. If you have any questions about my experience, I am happy to answer them.

Last edited:
I had my knee replaced on Wednesday and went home the following morning. It was listed as outpatient. I had no problems and felt I was better off home than in the hospital.

I had my second knee replacement in Dec 2020 as an outpatient. The first was done in Nov 2018 and I did spend the night for that one. This time the surgery was scheduled at 10:15 am and I was in the car headed home at 3:15 pm. There was a small PT area set up in the Recovery Room and I walked to the bathroom and also climbed steps before I left. Both PT and Occupational Therapy were there to make sure I could walk, dress myself, etc. The hospital pharmacy filled my meds so we didn’t need to stop at a pharmacy.
I would advise you to have everything ready at home. Read the excellent articles here about what you need. Being prepared makes it so much easier.

I had my last knee replacement outpatient.I also requested it. I think some points to keep in mind:

Are you in reasonably good shape pre-surgery?
Are you on a lot of meds?
Do you have reliable help?

If I answered "no" to any of these questions, I would prefer to stay in one night at least...but that's my personal opinion.

Thank you Ladies
Actually I ended up canceling my July date.
Had terrible problems last time in dealings with his staff
total confusion, always given wrong info , my surgeon is very skilled but 0 in communication skills
I was a mess after the RTK needed the 2 days in the hospital
I do not feel comfortable to go this route again may have to limp a bit longer till covid restrictions are lifted
going to find a new skilled surgeon with a team that works with me.
you are All the Best!

I think it's best that you canceled your surgery. If you aren't comfortable with your doctor and staff, you need to find another one. I selected about 6 surgeons to 'interview' before I chose the one who did mine. I went in totally trusting him and have had a good outcome.

As you have already cancelled, it's bit late to state my experience. But I too had outpatient on May 19 and very happy with that. In fact I had opted for it.

@Gramalita98
Wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow.

I was suppose to have outpatient but I told them I didn’t want that as I had really low BP with my first TKR when I dropped to 77/35. It was awful. So they agreed to let me stay until they were sure I was ok. So I think if they understand they may make acceptions. Mine lowered again this time but not as low so I just stayed the one night. I would definitely want someone who will listen.

If you are not comfortable with the office, I think you made the right choice to find a better organized office.
I have removed you from the July Sparklers Knee team, and updated your signature to indicate you surgery was cancelled. Let us know when you have a new surgery date.

Furbabymom, it is really vital that you have complete confidence in your surgeon. If you had any doubts about him or his staff, you did the right thing to cancel. There are many excellent ortho surgeons out there. You will find the right one.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks