Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Hospital healthy snacks?

lisabl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here is your Saturday conundrum.... what are your favourite healthy snacks you might put in your bag for post-op tummy settlers. My favourites might be dried pineapple (high in fibre and often makes me drowsy so maybe good evening snack) and munching pecans and seeds (protein packed). What are your thoughts on protein shakes as I am currenly on a lowish carb eating program.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Protein shakes are good for when you get home. Lots of people find that initially they don't have a lot of appetite, but they can manage a protein shake.

Even though you may not be hungry, it's always a good idea to eat something, such as a cracker, when you take pain medications. Doing that can help to prevent the nausea that sometimes happens if you take the meds on an empty stomach.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
I take a bottle of YOP (yoghurt drinkl) and hard boiled eggs with some buttered bread, a couple of chocolate bars, the type with nuts or crispy bits embedded.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Trail mix or yogurt drinks as Jo suggested. Nuts or raisins but not sure if these would settle your tummy.

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Take something you love as long as it is packaged and wont go off (go stale or rotten).
BUT I didnt want to eat and didnt eat in hospital. It was only 3 days so not an issue.
Also I just wasnt hungry for the first few weeks so although I had planned well I never ate those things (wish that had kept up!!!).

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
I remember trying to hang onto some crackers from lunch to have with my pain meds later in the day. I didn't get nauseated but more like heartburn from the pain meds.
I remember the nurse saying "you don't have to do that, we can bring you some." I wound up having them bring me graham crackers. :)

Cynof4

Country
@lisabl,
I always take some low carb Atkins meal bars and snacks with me. I also love sugar free Jello and most US hospitals have it on hand.
Good luck tomorrow!
~Cynthia

winemama

senior
Country
I brought a PBJ for when I got into my room, I always seem to miss meals. I packet protein bars, and ate only hospital soup and ginger ale. Not much of an appetite in the hospital. Good luck

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I found that the pain medications made my mouth very dry. I sucked barley sugars or other boiled sweets and that helped.

OP
OP
lisabl

lisabl

Country
In the end I didn't eat the snacks except for a bio yogurt on 2nd day following surgery as my stomach was not happy. Polo mints were my saviour in the end.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Griz4718
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom