THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi everyone.
First of all Merry Christmas to you all and what a great forum with so many kind people.

Rather sore today as went to a party at the rugby club and did that “dance” where everyone is on the floor pretending to row! Was very proud of myself in that I could get up from the floor unaided and I was dancing for two hours (not in the floor!!)

Two days later really bad pain in the butt and outside of the leg and I had to drive solo to see my sister and family and the journey back home took four hours instead of two so ouch ouch ouch!

ice and heat and paracetemol helping but I am officially an idiot. 1 year and 5 months out I assumed I could do anything. Ummmm. Nope! Not yet.....

so please take care out there. It is very easy to rejoin the ODIC! Big Birthday coming up and I will be dancing but not on the floor ;-)

Merry Christmas! Xxxx

SurreyGirl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: dear @SurreyGirl
I'm sorry you got yourself achy, but I sure would've loved to be a fly on the wall and watched you row.:) :-) (:
I imagine myself cheering "You row, girl!":rotfl:
Well, we know what I really would've done, is say "oh my stars...get your behind up before you hurt something!"

Hope your holidays are Merry and Bright..big hugs and hope your aches from your trip to the ODIC resolve quickly.
:banana-santa::santa-dance::banana-santa:

I tried to post the picture but can’t reduce the size!

Thanks Mojo! Very sore today and might have screwed up Christmas for myself but hubby doing the cooking thank goodness.

Merry Christmas Surrey Girl! We are post op grads of about the same time and your note just popped up today. It's nice to hear from you. I'm now about 1 1/2 year post and feel about 20 years younger with the new hip. I still have some muscle tightness around the new joint that even being back on the yoga mat, walking 4-5 miles a day, and massage doesn't loosen! Overall, I believe I can do anything now but have had those moments like yours where I do feel a bit sore after! haven't had to turn to icing but your dance story is a good reminder.

I hope the pain from all that dancing fun has gone away and you are ready for the next dance party for your BD!
:banana-santa:

Lovely photo @SurreyGirl. Like you, I think I too have screwed up Christmas! My 4 year old hip did not like my new way of getting into my daughter's 4x4 one little bit. I never learn, lots of ice and pills for me today too. Hope you're able to enjoy being waited on.
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

Well we can all just test the limits and learn what not to do. I don't think standing at parties or standing in the kitchen cooking for say 4 hours or so are good for things generally. Still much better than before but lots more work to do on muscles... New Year's resolutions....

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::santa-dance::presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::wreath:

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: Hi @SurreyGirl
Great to hear your still around and pushing out the boat still :loll:
This time last year was on crutches 6 weeks post hip so really grateful to be able to walk so much better without crutches.
Some problems with unoperated leg after straining knee but hoping this is improving tho leg discrepancy partially at fault.
Wishing you all a very
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: and a painfree New Year

Catherine 13+ mths post hip op

Don't be too hard on yourself @SurreyGirl .....as we continue to be active and try to maintain good fitness levels as we age, even without a joint replacement, sometimes our soft tissues are going to complain. I resumed hiking at elevation this past summer on a pretty steep, rocky trail. My right hip was sheer perfection, but I came down too fast and my left knee didn't like it. It took me awhile, (and a few sessions of PT) to try to deal with that. It probably would have happened even without the hip replacement, which was a reminder to me, at age 65 (you are just a "young thing") that I need to be careful not to push or overdo when I am active. Just because I CAN do something (like race down a mountain, going faster than my young adult kids), doesn't mean I should. I am having to do a lot of mental adjusting as I age, not to limit myself, but rather to learn to moderate and pace so I can keep doing things. That rowing dance you did---sounds like a blast.....next time I imagine you will row a bit less intensely and dance a bit shorter of a time (2 hours!!!) and it will all be fine. Your photo looks great and it sounds like you are doing really well( except for your wild and crazy dancing episode)! :loveshwr:

Thanks everyone. Had a good Christmas Day and hubby cooked a duck and it was delicious. I alternated between ice and a hot water bottle and rested the hip and it is better. Back to swimming soon but will be careful. Hope you all had a good Christmas! Next dancing will probably be at a friends housewarming but not for a few weeks...

@SurreyGirl loved your update but sorry that it ended with a time out in the ODIC. But that rowing on the floor dance move? Sounds like so much fun! Hopefully in another day or so you will be fully recovered.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi @SurreyGirl
Nice to see your smiling face! I hope you had a lovely Christmas.
I'm sorry to read you landed in the ODIC. I hope any discomfort continues to ease and you're back to your old self very soon.
A great rest of the day to you. :wave:

Thanks for the update. We had our hip ops around the same time. I hope you're feeling better with each day. My son got married on December 8th and I enjoyed a few dances. When I was in my 20's to mid 50's I enjoyed aerobic dance classes. Of course with the hip arthritis, I gave that up about 6 years ago. I've always wanted to learn line dancing, so gave it a try at my son's wedding. It was a blast. But at one point they had us crouching down to the floor and as soon as I did it, reality hit and I wondered "what on earth do you think you are doing!". Thankfully I was able to stand back up with no harm done. Yes, it is an adjustment to not just go ahead and do everything I once did. My hip is doing great, but I don't have the previous range of motion doing certain things (like tying my shoe on my right side). I also found that standing in the kitchen on Christmas Eve morning and Christmas morning caused some back aches. I love being able to cook in the kitchen again, but think I need to pace myself with some sitting (or walking) breaks. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and I wish all of you a healthy and happy New Year!

Thanks Barby
I am lucky re range of motion and have quite a bit of flexibility. The shoe lace tying took some time but I got there eventually.

I knew as soon as I started that rowing movement which also involved leaning backwards and then to an upright position I was in trouble! So definitely that dance is off the agenda. There is one particular muscle that has caused me trouble from day one post hip op and it may be I have to be careful not to set it off! But 1 year 5 months out things are pretty good. Next “challenge” is some more hobiecat sailing. I managed it in June with care so looking forward to doing it again. Also swimming in the sea rather than pool which I will really enjoy!

Hope all fellow hippies have a great new year!

Hey, @SurreyGirl, I know it's not really funny but I had to chuckle anyway at the description of your dance movies! I bet while the party was going on you were having fun, despite the unfortunate consequences a day or two later. I hope you are continuing to rest up and baby that hip so that Hobie Cat sailing coming up will not be impacted. I agree with everyone else--even though you're over a year out, it is unsurprising to me that you are still subject to twinges, creaking and discomfort if you do something that your hip (Miss Prissy Pants, of course, as I think all of 'em are fussy and can be difficult!) doesn't like. Loud complaining ensues! You take care of yourself!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom