THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Oh, no, @SurreyGirl --say it isn't so! Pain in right hip now? When they did x-rays before, did they indicate both hips were a problem or just the left? I know my initial x-rays showed severe osteoarthritis in my right hip and only moderate mostly in my left. But, within 6 months of first hip replacement the left one started kicking up, and reading many forum posts I think this might unfortunately be something that happens to a lot of folks. Do keep an eye on this, and good for you for ceasing all activities, and back to using ice and meds a bit. Let's just hope that @Mojo333 is right, and it's just that your right hip is having to work harder, and not a real problem going forward. Hang in there, and take it easy.
is ice the way to proceed now, even after all this time? because I am having issues as well and just reached out to doctor for appt and imaging. Past midnight now and cannot sleep for the pain -- and Tylenol not covering it. Am I now just another person who develops or worsens issues in other hips a year out from THR on one side? Tell the truth to me!

Oh dear Lovestars! I seem to remember Jaycey or Layla saying it is quite common for the other hip to play up. My right unopened hip and knee are much better now following a physio session where I was given some useful exercises, although the bridges make my thigh muscles cramp badly!. However I am really aching today having swum yesterday evening and tried breaststroke with the frog kick again. My op hip hates it and I can imagine I can feel the cup rubbing in the thigh now. A bit depressing but at least my body is telling me what it won't put up with. So back to flutter kick it is!

Also, the pool has a current! And the jets last night were on full strength so swimming in one direction was hard. I went nonstop for nearly an hour so think I have joined the ODIC (again). There were six of us working hard in the pool yesterday and we all went into the steam room at the same time and got talking. Some very interesting people and I am starting to make friends which is nice.

Working from home today and icing the hip and took some painkillers for the first time in ages. But, overall, things are still good, I am walking very straight with quite long strides and I am sleeping well. Even managing to go downstairs without using the bannisters and much less stiff. I think Magnesium pills helping there so thanks to the admins for the recommendation.

:wave:Nice to hear you are getting things worked out by trial and error and listening to your hip.
There are a few things my hip complains about....so I'm happy not to insist on it.
There was SO much I could no longer do...I am more than happy to drop a few things that are not helpful.:yes:
You've come a long way from the infamous Hippy Hotel.
Well done, my hopeful hippy.:friends:

Last edited:
Hi @SurreyGirl
It sounds like you've been enjoying the pool but overdid it a bit. At times it's difficult to realize our limitations until we push too far. You've been doing so well. It's good you're working from home today and are able to address your unhappy hip. Hopefully with ice and rest you'll be feeling better soon. A wonderful Wednesday to you!

Hi @SurreyGirl So sorry to see you have been in pain again. ❤️ Hope your trip to ODIC is very short and sweet. I have over done it twice in pool. Tricky as it doesn’t start hurting until later in the day. I time myself now and depending on what I am doing 30 minutes is my max. Happy you are making friends there. Makes it so much nicer! Sending healing wishes!

How is that hip doing today, @SurreyGirl? You have been doing so fabulously that I am sure it was a bit of a kick in the pants to experience a setback. Just take a sensible step back, which it sounds like you're doing with rest, icing and some medication, and I'm betting by week's end you'll be back to relatively pain-free striding along. Happy Hump Day!

Hi everyone and thank you for your kind comments. Yesterday it hurt quite a bit so I worked from home with one leg raised. This morning there is some pulling in the groin and it feels “heavy” but much better. Hairdressers this evening and back to swimming tomorrow but I will not do the frog kick. I might have been a bit too keen swimming against the current too so will be more mindful. I want my hip to last... apart from that, all good. Frost on the car this morning. Brrrrgh!

Last edited:
Hi @SurreyGirl
I did post some info on bickypegs thread yesterday.
Standard info you can find in the internet, like the recommended daily dose for woman @320 mg.
Wonder if you've taken Magnesium Glycinate? It's supposedly less likely to cause a laxative effect, which I found to be accurate in my case.

With any luck you're feeling better today and your pain has eased. Have a great Thursday and enjoy your new hair, I hope you love it!

PS be careful in the pool tomorrow - no froggy stuff :froggies:

Well no swimming last week as was playing in a show. Hip held up very well to sitting in one position for over 1.5 hours before the interval. I got up and did some stretching before Act 2! no groin pain so that is definitely connected to the swimming..

Full on last week with daytime job and then playing violin in Sound if Music but great fun. Very friendly band cast and crew so a great time and the audience loved it. “Maria” got her scene wrong and forgot she was supposed to be praying. When she realised she used the f word which got picked up by the microphone. As her next line was on her knees saying “Dear God....” and praying for forgiveness before praying for the Von Trapp family, the string section cracked up and we were having difficulty crying with laughter through our pizzicatos. I hope if I can semi retire next year I can do more playing work!
Onwards. Still hovering between 106-107kg but getting there. But weight loss at nearly 60 years is so slow. Using My Fitness Pal app to be stricter about logging so will see if this helps, and back to swimming. Have a good week everyone x

Attachments

• 25C833C6-AD36-4413-85BB-4698F3AE21F4.jpeg
    25C833C6-AD36-4413-85BB-4698F3AE21F4.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 239
Poor "Maria" but :loll:
You look very happy and healthy in your photo!
I agree with you on the weight loss...harder with metabolism slowing due to age.
I have mostly had luck with dropping carbs but even when I hardly eat, I stay stagnant with the weight.
Winter won't help either...I'm always heavier.
Best of luck..please don't overdo the swimming if its aggravating your groin.:beg:

Last edited:
Hello @SurreyGirl

Lovely photo of you. You look very healthy and in great shape. Swimming has been a challenge for me of late. Keep irritating my groin muscles. I too have found flutter kick the only kick my new hip will get on with. I’m going to add back in magnesium. Appreciate your mentioning it. Very stiff lately and not sleeping well.
Hope you recover quickly from your latest swim. The only thing that helps me maintain weight is much smaller portions and only two meals a day. Snacks really start slippery slope. Much more challenging with lower activity this past year. Creeps up so darn easily. Good luck this week!!

Well...look at you lovely lady. So nice to put a face with a name. Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful news that you played your violin and remained seated, comfortably, for the time necessary. How did this work for you before your surgery, during the times your hip was at its worst? Just curious. Did you back off from jobs, or suffer miserably through it all? I imagine the Maria characters slip of the tongue would have the audience in an uproar of laughter.

Wishing you continued luck on your weight loss journey. I hope you have a happy Monday and a great week!
@SurreyGirl

Before the op I was still playing in shows but the pain was awful and would make me jump with the bone on bone. Also affected my back too. Last week I had some co codamol in standby just in case but didn’t need it. Only issue was a bit of stinging pain around the scar. No idea what that’s about! Back to swimming tonight. Thanks for all the nice comments!

Hello @SurreyGirl

Lovely photo of you. You look very healthy and in great shape. Swimming has been a challenge for me of late. Keep irritating my groin muscles. I too have found flutter kick the only kick my new hip will get on with. I’m going to add back in magnesium. Appreciate your mentioning it. Very stiff lately and not sleeping well.
Hope you recover quickly from your latest swim. The only thing that helps me maintain weight is much smaller portions and only two meals a day. Snacks really start slippery slope. Much more challenging with lower activity this past year. Creeps up so darn easily. Good luck this week!!
@Fit4Family
This is how I am managing it. Doing 12/8 so no breakfast, just tea and water until 1pm, light salad and then a proper meal in the evening. No wine until the weekend and even then not too much. Losing averages out at 1/2 lb a week which is very slow but at least consistenf!

Hello @SurreyGirl ! I love your recent photo and agree with the others that you look fit and happy.

Your story about Maria was hilarious. Sounds like a fun time.
I have been circling the intermittent fasting idea. Haven't tried yet, but somedays I skip breakfast anyway so I should just jump in and try.

I hope your hip is continuing to calm back down. Darn frog kick!

Great glamorous photo, @SurreyGirl! Was that a promo shot for the show you're performing in? Loved the "Maria" story, very funny! And I think intermittent fasting, your 12/8 schedule, is a manageable way to control or lose weight if you're not a breakfast eater normally. I gotta have a morning latte but I seldom eat anything for breakfast. Hope the return to swimming goes well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom