THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Just a tad frustrating and my right hip starting to moan a bit at me when walking :-( hope that is not going to go on me!

When did you last have your right hip x-rayed?
@SurreyGirl
As far as the discomfort you're experiencing I wouldn't be surprised at all if a long car ride and strange bed weren't to blame. Haul out the old ice packs and put your feet up. Hopefully you're feeling better soon. :console2:

Thanks! I will keep an eye on this. The last x-ray I had a year ago showed some arthritis in right knee and hip but “normal for my age” whatever that means.i will keep Losing weight and hope it resolves. Certainly the knee has been better since I lost some weights

Woo, hoo on finally getting good biopsy news! Sure, it was frustrating to be in suspense for so long, but when it's good news then all that frustration probably goes away quickly. So relieved for you, @SurreyGirl And, yes, I think continuing to lose weight and being moderately active as you're able should strengthen up the musculature around your knee and hip so that no further problems will arise. Keep up the good work!

Wonderful news! Finally you received the all clear. :yay: I'll bet you're doing the happy dance.:happydance:
A reason to celebrate tonight with hubs and a great way to begin the weekend with some good news and a sigh of relief.
Enjoy the weekend!
@SurreyGirl

Thanks everyone.

Re Swimming

@swimmer77

@Elf1

I have been doing some research re breast stroke after hip surgery and came across a rather interesting study. Also some NHS hospitals recommend it and others do not. I have been having some groin pain after swimming but this may be bad technique in my part or an underused muscle playing up.

That said, be careful!

I did run this article past some of the moderators first who said it was ok to link here :-

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...rrect-message-2167-7921-1000147.php?aid=42446

Also this from one NHS trust

https://www.therotherhamft.nhs.uk/P..._questions_by_patients_-_Orthopaedic_Surgery/

Some sources say no breast stroke until after 3 months (as in the above advice) or 12 months so a lot of conflicting information there!

Great to hear you are OK.

I was doing 2km breaststroke within 3 months post THR without any problems.

From my experience surgeons are less cautious than some other healthcare professionals. My surgeon said I could do virtually anything post op - which is great as I am looking forward to getting back onto the pistes this winter.

This is an interesting topic that I just saw. I mostly swim breast stroke arms and crawl kick. I just started using my arms for the crawl just recently. I sometimes do breast stroke with my legs and didn't seem to have any pain either. I swim about 3-4 times a week. I was also doing water aerobics (deep water) after the 20 minute non stop swim but found after I always ached in my operated hip and my 'good' knee in non operated leg all day long. So last week I stopped all water aerobic movements and the pain is not there anymore. I use a pull buoy when swimming so I have small controlled kicking when I am doing the crawl to prevent the knee pain. My PT told me not to do breast stroke leg movements at first as he thought it would cause pain but it seems to be ok now.
Love hearing about people's water activities as it is my preferred form of exercise.
Thanks!

@SurreyGirl Hello! I thought I should mosey over to your page to answer a question that you had on another's thread. Re: scuba and the giant stride entry. I had both hips with the direct anterior so there's no restrictions but if I felt any concern about the giant stride entry? I would opt to do the backwards roll off the side of the dive boat. Whatever gets me in the water!
I hope we both get some bubble time soon!

@lotusbuds thanks! I am adapting the stroke to see if I can reduce the pain a bit.

@CricketHip ah I can see that You May be able to do the giant stride with anterior. The backward roll isn’t recommended for me either so I may have to do the ladder and put the kit on in the water. I wasn’t given a choice re how the hip was done so Posterior it was!

Well I took a hint out of @lotusbuds recovery and did breaststroke with flutter kick yesterday. Around 45 mins non stop along with front crawl. And, no groin pain today so obviously, even after a year, my hip does not like the frog kick. Will try again in another month. This is definitely a learning process even long term!

One long term positive, can cross my legs to put socks on without even thinking about it :). Still stiff after sitting for a bit but again much better than even three months ago.

Think now I will judge progress over three month chunks now..

Thanks again for everyone’s response and help in here.

@SurreyGirl I've never done the frog kick but just started doing the breaststroke legs. My PT suggested I avoid it until my knee heals. Its not healed yet but I did one length of it for a change and it seems to be ok. I mostly do the crawl now with arms overhead and flutter kick or breast stroke arms flutter kick legs. So great you can do 45 minutes non stop. YEAH! I am now up to 30 minutes with a few seconds break once in awhile.
Congratulations! keep it up..it encourages me too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom