THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

I do envy you beng able to go swimming and in a nice environment too. It's too early yet for me to swim but when I do decide to go it will just be a weeny pool belonging to a school.

Glad you felt better after the swim

Thanks @Bionic . I think I need to get into a routine. Hubby out rehearsing soon a few nights a week so maybe that is my time to go.. I do find it very relaxing especially in the evening when they light the pool with underwater lights and dim the main lights.. Very soothing and I find I do 20 lengths plus fairly easily. Not counting any more just timing how long I swim for. Got it up to 40 minutes now…

If i lie on my back and just kick my legs I start to go sideways as the right leg is stronger than the newly operated left leg.. But it is getting stronger !

I am sure you will get back to it… Walking and swimming are all I can do atm but both are helping the stiffness.

Get up from that computer occasionally! I have that problem when I read too long, @SurreyGirl. I will curl up in a chair to read some mystery and after an hour or so I really notice my whole lower body starting to stiffen and ache. Then, like a hibernating bear awakening from the grim winter months into springtime, I lumber up out of my chair with no grace whatsoever and stagger a few steps before regaining my poise. Glad swimming helped to sort things out.

I take it the au pair or her kiddies who showed up unexpectedly in the dressing room were not of the female persuasion? Or just that there were children there in general? The ladies dressing room at my gym allows children of either sex up to age 5. Any child in a dressing room is hard, though, as they have the LOUDEST and most piercing voices. I remember once one of my daughters asking some highly inappropriate question about a woman getting dressed next to me (undoubtedly having to do with weight or age) and feeling mortified as I tried to shush her. As I recall, however, the woman just smiled pleasantly and said she had kids, too. I avoid the kids by going to the gym usually during the time when kidlets are in school. Saturdays an Sundays are a problem, but I try to go late morning, around lunch time, and can generally miss them.

I am definitely not yet ready to retire but now only work 3 days a week, SurreyGirl, and find that works well for me. I also have a stand up desk and work have let me set my days up so just sitting limited.

We don't have free passes to expensive clubs up north for a week but did get a day last year. Off for some winter sun in a week and hoping I get as much out of it as you did your holiday.

Wishing you a good weekend...even if the wind blows and the heavens open :eyebrows:

I hope the sun works for you @Cathippy - it certainly was wonderful for me...have a lovely time.

The club forgot to stamp my free week pass so gave me another week! Went swimming again on Wednesday and this time it was the pool instructor yelling at his school age pupils that was loud.... oh well!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Happy Sunday, @SurreyGirl. I hope you get to take advantage of your extended week at the fancy health club, with maybe a pleasant swim sans kiddies in the pool. Do they have a hot tub, steam room and/or sauna? Any of those might be good place for break this weekend. I find hanging out in the sauna for about 15 minutes is wonderful--feel warm and toasty when I emerge, and cheeks are naturally pink and healthy looking, no blush needed! Have a great day!

Thanks! Yes they do. But, I have been visiting my lovely relatives in the Cotswolds. 2½ hour journey each way but stayed in a wonderful 16 century coaching inn overnight. Hip stood up pretty well. Lots of stairs and creaky floorboards. Google the Feathers at Ledbury Uk - I think you would adore it!.

Back home now and contemplating the work issue. Have to make a decision very soon.
Small victory - I put my socks on and crossed my legs without thinking this morning. No pain. 7 months out.
Still get very tired but improving all the time....

@Barbaraj have a great weekend too :)

@Cathippy I want to hear how your holiday goes :)

Is it worrying that my scar still burns occasionally?! Icing calms it down but was hoping it would be a bit more settled by now...

Let's ask @Josephine
When you say "burns", is it a warmth you're aware of without even touching it?
Or, is it warm / hot to the touch only?
Is it the entire scar, or only a portion?
On occasion you hear of a scar spitting a stitch, sometimes instead of dissolving a suture, your body pushes it out. Anything like that?
@SurreyGirl

Thanks @Layla - it doesn't feel any warmer to the touch than the other leg.
It is the top part of the scar that is itching/burning and is redder than the rest of the scar.
It seems to happen out of the blue but doesn't last for very long - I am aware of the burning sensation without touching it
Icing calms it down
I take paracetemol occasionally now when a bit stiff and painful but have cut the co-codamol completely
Apart from the burning sensation I hardly get any muscle pain now. :)
Swimming seems to be helping
I massage the scar area gently with E45 cream twice a day

Oh, your getaway to visit relatives sounds like fun, @SurreyGirl, and the creaky but cozy coaching inn very nice. I remember visiting the Cotswolds with my mother ages ago and we stayed in a house where we walked up the stairs to a small but charming bedroom. What a lovely area that is.

You say that you are facing a decision about your job situation shortly, I am sure that is weighing on your mind, so glad you had a nice visit before returning home to "face the music" in terms of a decision. But remind yourself: you are smart, competent and thoughtful individual and you WILL make the right decision for YOU. I suspect it's tempting to try to second guess yourself in terms of what's best, but no matter what decision you end up making, I believe you will adjust and move forward successfully. And congrats on the socks and leg crossing--small but important victories!

Hi @SurreyGirl
I'm sure Jo will stop by soon.
It's good to hear you're benefitting from the swimming and the surroundings don't sound too shabby either
from what you've described. I haven't heard of E45 creme, will need to look that up.
Have a great rest of the day and a wonderful week!

E45 cream is used a lot here in the UK. When I had my staples removed the nurse said to give it a week and then start massaging the wound with E45 cream

Thanks for the comments. I had two long car journeys over the weekend plus work today and scar definitely moaning at me this evening.

Interesting comment about the possibility of a suture coming to the surface. Surely after 7 months they would have dissolved?

Anyway I will keep an eye on the scar. Don’t know if an antihistamine might help ?!

My incision area would get zips and zaps and occasionally a "burning"
Mostly gone by 6 months...but there would be an errant zzzzzt out of the blue occasionally.:flabber:
Glad to hear you've been getting out and about.:tada:
Hope the rest of your week is sweet @SurreyGirl :ok:

Thanks @Mojo333

I am trying to work out if there is any pattern to it. It is very similar to the electric type zaps I got before but much more infrequent..

Will see how it goes...

Hi @SurreyGirl
Trip to London to see my son was a reminder I am still on the recovery journey! Lovely seeing my son and his partner but ended up viewing interior of The Tower cafe instead and had to use a wheelchair round the Natural History Museum. So much walking in London and up and down steps I guess.
Anyway made my mind up and more importantly husbands a week in the sun would be better than a week in the UK so off to Cyprus on Saturday.
Fed up with weather and ready for a change...good luck with your decision about work ! :spin:

Doing well so far @SurreyGirl !:cheers: Any chance E45 could be causing a reaction? I had a severe case of dermatitis on my hands a few years back and E45 made it much worse. Tried all sorts including horrible hydro cortisone cream, and found only Aveeno (the oil one) worked in the end. Use it for everything now. Great moisturiser.

@Cathippy I hope the sun works for you. I did find it made a huge difference. Such a tough decision re the job but thanks for your thoughts.

@bickypeg you may have A point there. Maybe I will give the massage a rest for a few days and see if there is a difference.

I still get some swelling occasionally so use an ice pack when driving which helps.

Nurse Josephine hasn’t been in touch so she probably thinks it is a non issue and is probably right, but I will see someone if the scar changes appearance.

Generally though I am out of pain, the stiffness is lessening so all positive...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks