THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi there! The Moussaka was wonderful and enough for a small lunch too. Hip not too bad today although the usual muscle playing up. Having a rest after work tonight but may go to a class tomorrow.

Hope your day (morning?) is going well :)

Hubby made galettes with buckwheat flour which were delicious.
- You are very lucky - I love a complete washed down with cidre bouche but not easy to make - and you need ble noir in the larder. There is an excellent creperie in Hammersmith which I go to from time to time to get a taste of Brittany.

@HertsHippy

We can get buckwheat flour from Waitrose. My

We used to eat at Asterix in Chelsea. It changed its name after the publishers objected to the prints on the walls even though the artist had given permission so it changed the name to The Veritable Creperie. On pancake night a bell was rung for every 10th galette served and that table got a bottle of wine...

Fillings yesterday were speck ham with fresh asparagus and salmon with mascaparone cheese and dill. Yum. We still have some bottles of Cidre Bouche from Britanny from quite a few years back and it survived very well. I still have to master the art of making a Tarte Tatin

You two are speaking a foreign language.
Moussaka? Galletes? Cidre Bouche? Need to do some online research :heehee:
It's making the roast chicken, mushroom risotto and asparagus we're having tonight sound extremely boring and way too ordinary. Hope you hippys are doing well and feeling strong. Have a happy weekend! @HertsHippy
@SurreyGirl

@Layla @SurreyGirl - some of us love our food and SG’s husband is clearly a very accomplished cook. For us tonight it was hake in a cockle and white wine sauce on kale. Planning on a 3* Michelin tasting menu to celebrate getting back to normality after THR.

Good grief, so many talented and knowledgeable chefs and enthusiastic diners on the forum! I agree that reading about all the good stuff on offer is making me hungry as I'm reading, although nothing terribly exciting on my dinner plan tonight--thinking leftovers! Hope the hip is feeling better today, @SurreyGirl, after getting a post-work rest last night. What class were you thinking of attending today? Hope you feel well enough for it, whatever it might be, and your weekend goes smoothly, maybe even a bit of good weather to boost your mood. Sunny in my neck of the woods, always a treat despite the fact the lawn was hazed with white frost this morning--super chilly out there!

Hi there. Had arelaxed morning and then a long lunch with very nice friends. The last time saw them I was in the recovery home so they were delighted to see my standing straight with a normal coloured as opposed to pale and wan face. We will be on holiday with them this year and indeed that is how we met. They are lovely people...

I won’t go on about the food in case I give @Klassy the munchies....but it was good quality pub grub.

More decluttering tomorrow and making a pie but definitely going to pool Pilates on Monday..

Last edited:
fascinated about how people deal with retirement
- I saw this on another thread. I retired a couple of years ago - phased in over a period. I found giving up work very easy but like many I find that I am not fitting in all the things I want to do - life has been busier than usual with daughter getting married, son starting work and moving into a flat, ageing relatives etc. We are lucky in the SE to have so much going on and so much to see while I am well-placed being only a 20 minute train ride into London. The biggest problem has been the wretched hip which has put a lot of things on hold - last year just got away twice (once skiing and then later in the year hobbling around Whitby).

Was In Surrey last night (some might call it South London) for a concert - my daughter was playing the cello.

And it isnt South London - yet, unless it was Croydon!

@HertsHippy i note you are not much older than me. May be forced into retirement although would love a part time job. A lot to think about right now...

@SurreyGirl - yes, as you worked out it was in Croydon. In a very nice church hall. It is a very friendly orchestra and is good for amateurs. They sounded pretty good although went a bit awry a couple of times.

@SurreyGirl - maybe being pedantic (and I am sure you will know this) but you cannot be forced to retire except in specific situations. Your job (but not you) can be made redundant and your employer can offer you enhanced pension terms - especially if you are in a defined benefit pension scheme when some of the enhancements offered can be breathtakingly good.

I did work part time for a while as a was scaling back and it was a good way to transition. I do sometimes think I should do some volunteering but would need to find something appropriate.

@HertsHippy I will send you a PM about this!

Thanks...

Meanwhile, back to Hips.... a course I am running is up a very steep hill. Before the op I was crying by the time I got to the course venue as the pain was so bad. Yesterday I had to make that walk three times plus go to a meeting at the other side of the Uni. My hips were aching by the end of the day but I plucked up enough energy to go swimming for half an hour followed by a soak in the jacuzzi there and steam room.
The club forgot to date stamp my guest weekly pass so have given me another week to try it out...

Tacking the hill again today and so far no repercussions. Maybe I will get muscle ache tomorrow!

Onwards!!

Last edited:
Wow! That is some progress :yes!:
I'm happy for you @SurreyGirl :yay:
It's amazing you were able to swim last night after all the walking yesterday....and no repercussions today!
I'll bet the jacuzzi was relaxing after all of the activity. I'd be afraid I'd fall asleep while relaxing in it, lol.
Awesome news you have another week at the Swanky Spa. I'm a little jelly.
Enjoy the rest of the day!

Thanks @Layla Trying to keep my spirits up as another restructuring round has started and definitely a sense of "Deja Vu"… Sadly I am just a tad too young to get my pension made up to full so the timing could not have been worse… Oh well, if I go for VS I might just pay out for the swanky health club as will have more time to spend there :-(

Hips not too bad today so might try to fit in a another swim session and see how I go. Working from home so no steep hills to climb today..

I'm wondering how much any work stress with the restructuring and uncertainty it brings, is affecting your hip? We carry a lot of tension when we're stressed. Usually more than we even realaize. Those jacuzzi session at the Swanky Spa may be just what the doctor ordered.

I'm happy you get a break from hill climbing today and I hope working at home is calming as opposed to being in the workplace atmosphere. Your work day is probably soon coming to a close as my day is just beginning on this side of the pond. I hope you have a relaxing evening.
@SurreyGirl

Hey, @SurreyGirl, hope your day working from home was helpful along with another swim if you could fit it in to help ease that aching hip. Keep your chin up regarding the restructuring. It does sound like it's horrifically bad timing but I am betting you'll figure things out--you are a smart lady, with lots of skills and competencies and I bet they can be applied towards other ventures. Best of luck to you.

Thanks! I staggered my lunch break so that I could go for a nice quiet swim only to find it clashed with the "Swim Safe" lessons for children. I didn't realise this at first and thought it was an "over enthusiastic" dad yelling at his offspring. I was about to ask him to quieten down when I realised that the lesson was over and the next child was lined up for his lesson… ooops! Advantage of this time - no-one else in the pool apart from instructor and child.

Maybe I could bring earplugs.

However, the rules are broken when it comes to the changing rooms. I am in all my glory when two children and their aupair turn up for the next lesson… Not what I was expecting - I thought the changing rooms was ladies only. At over £1000 a year membership fee. hmmm. That said, the grounds of the golf club are beautiful and the gym overlooks those grounds so it is all very civilised..
Still thinking about it…

After 5 hours solid on the computer today I was very stiff but the swimming sorted it out. Lesson learnt…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts