THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Not yet on the "other side" but hopefully Op tomorrow... Currently at work finalising stuff and then home for the dreaded phone call from the hospital and packing... I am as ready as I can ever be.. I love blogging so watch out fellow hippies and good luck to all!

:yes!: Tomorrow is the big day! Hope all goes well! See you on this side soon. I'll post your recovery list here for you to refer to if needed:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it is going on the “other side”as you can! We are all here for support, smiles and advice. I m only 2 weeks ahead of you, so the memories of “just”after are still with me —and they weren’t bad at lol!! Three words of advice: slow and steady.” It’s not a sprint, more like a distance race! Thinking positive thoughts!

SurreyGirl,

It was one week ago today when I was in your position, waiting for the phone call . I haven’t forgotten the fright and dread I was continually having to suppress; I felt like crying at times. That event— the day of surgery— is an event that ‘looms’ so heavily for many of us.

However, waking up after surgery is the great milestone. Yes, it’s recovery time with all its challenges, but to get to the other side feels like such a triumph— ‘summitting’— and the looming mountain is behind you, and there is a new, active life on the horizon. ( see those lush green fields in the distance? In the future you will be running through them. :)

Looking forward to reading updates. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have been overwhelmed by messages on Facebook from friends both here in the Uk and my beloved island! Had a curry tonight after the phone call. I am first on tomorrow so a very early start. Packing 3 bags, small one for the I
Op, bigger one for the main ward and a suitcase for the Hotel for Hippies.

The man who came to mend my very heavy door at the offic3 this afternoon said that his wife was an orthepedc nurse at the hospital and had some choice comments to mak3 about my surgeon, but he is supposed to be excellent.

First comment on the blog. Made up the preload mix with water at the Indian restaurant. The stuff wouldn’t dissolve, was very sticky and my husband said it looked like sperm as I took the first gulp! Naturally I choked! For what it is worth it has a very inert taste. Second dose before midnight and then another at 6am. 3 alarm clocks set. So 8:15am tomorrow... hope I sleep tonight... zzzzzz

Best of luck for tomorrow. Hard bit is done, easy bit to follow.

Wishing you the peace and comfort
We'll be looking forward to you first post.
The best is yet to come!
@SurreyGirl

Bye bye hip pain.
We will be thinking of you....
:ok:

Last edited:
12:54 and I am here!
Typing from the recovery ward and waiting to go to general. Was first on the list for op. No sleep at all last night as was bricking it. Aneathatists were amazing. My choice and opted for spinal - thanks to all the advice on here. Took four doses of local anesthetic before the needle went in. All fine. Weirds sensation of heat running from waist to toes as the spinal took affect. Like warm water running inside and not unpleasant. Used my musicians earplugs so didn’t hear a thing. Work up in the recovery ward yelling the name of someone not my husband. Ooops! Did not meet the Consultant but understand the op went well. No space in the ward yet so in a nice quiet recovery room.

Managed a salmon sandwich and lots of water.

Can move my ankles and legs and have already been told off for moving too much. But have been told I will be weight bearing and the physio is getting me out of bed today. Eeek!

One dose of codeine as the spinal wears off. Over 100 messages on Facebook. Blimey.

Felling sick typing so signing off for now.

Hope my fellow 26 July people are ok

Steady as she goes @SurreyGirl .

I'm sure the physios will be fine. I must admit I found a zimmer frame quite challenging to understand. But that was a short lived time as crutches appeared the next day. You might be feeling nauseous because of the medication be sure to tell them. They may give you something for nausea. Ice isn't routinely offered in hospitals but if you think it might help ask.

Interesting your spinal description mine felt like ice coming up from the toes to the hip. Opposites eh.

Hi @SurreyGirl :welome: Welcome to Recovery! You did it :yay:
Yes, please ask for ice if they don't offer it. I was thankful to be offered ice. You're really not in the mood to
plead and argue with anyone right after surgery, lol

The thought of weight bearing is scary but you can do it if they say you can. Let us know how it goes.
Try to read the Recovery Guidelines if you're able to focus. Lots of good info within.
I hope today is a good one!

Thanks!still in the recovery ward being looked after by Graces theydjnt do ice but have coo

Just tried to reach for a banana with the grabber stick and then realised the table could be moved within reach....still it made the nurses laugh...

Used my musicians earplugs so didn’t hear a thing.
Smart!

Work up in the recovery ward yelling the name of someone not my husband. Ooops!
I wonder if they used propofol - last time I came to from that in recovery, the nurse was smirking and my wife was face-palming and shaking her head. Love that stuff for the speed of recovery, but it'll make you feisty for a bit!

Can move my ankles and legs and have already been told off for moving too much.
Do we have our heir-apparent for the ODIC? So excited!

Welcome to the fun part, SG! Now that you're officially a card-carrying member, we'll have to show you where we keep the party hats and the confetti cannons. Shhhh - don't tell the others!!

Dear all
I have now been stuck in the recovery ward for the best part of the day and still the ward I am supposed to go to is full. Frustrating as hubby has a rehearsal tonight and wants to visit me. He also has all my stuff. Chances of physio getting me out of bed today probably zero. Maybe this is a good thing... hot here and hard to breathe but apparently worse in the main wards.... wound starting to hurt so may ask for morphine. Last codiene tablet was 9:30 am. Have a catheter so continually sipping water.

Hang in there. It might be quieter in recovery. You could ask them what your regular medication is planned to be. Could jog them into thinking about your care and recovery plan.

Welcome to the good side @SurreyGirl ! Sorry you are stuck in recovery. Easy does it - don't be in a rush to do anything. Ask for ice if you start feeling anything. Also ask for anti-nausea medication if you need it. You are on your way!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back