BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hope new one helps 2 yr old one

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by MyJampa, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Aww, I'm sorry you have to deal with this now. I'll bet your OS will offer you some reassurance at
    your visit tomorrow. It's a blessing you were led to get it checked. I'm sure the anti-biotics will
    knock it out effectively and soon. Try not to worry.
    Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.
    @MyJampa

2. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

Thanks for the encouragement @Layla @Jaycey ... I was just putting my head up out of the hole and there comes the ole Whac-a-Mole to knock me back down.

After I took my 1st Levofloxacin antibiotic, I read the drug warnings. Hopefully I will be done in 10 days and won't have any of the scary side affects. :scaredycat:

On the lighter side, I stopped at the co-op and got some cranberry pills, probiotics, yogurt and green leafy veggies to try and keep my gut somewhat healthy.

I am so looking forward to a little spring time and sunshine. :)

3. Layla

Sorry for the set-back. It feels unfair.

I've taken pro-biotics along with antibiotics also @MyJampa
    Did anyone advise you to take them quite a distance apart? Advice I followed from my nutritionist.

Agree about Spring and sunshine.....C'mon already! :SUNsmile:
    Hope you're feeling better soon. :yes:

4. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

Hi @Layla @Jaycey Well I did not make it back to work today. The new plan is to go back next Wednesday when my UTI/Kidney infection is more under control. Question: do you know anything about the side effects of Levaquin? Apparently I am having a slight sensitivity with soreness, and slight burning sensation in my upper arms and weekness in my quads. It appears from what I have been reading that damage can be permanent. I have a call into my Dr to see when my culture will be back and to see if there are other antibiotic options. It looks like the FDA has been upping the warnings on this drug and state that you should not take if there are other options that would work.

I was just starting to feel a bit better:unsure:

5. Layla

Hi @MyJampa
    I'm sorry but I am not familiar with Levaquin. Consider calling the pharmacist with any questions you may have in relation to side effects, temporary or permanent. I'm assuming it's for your UTI...
    One would think the possibility of permanent damage would only occur with extended use, which I'm assuming isn't the case with you. At any rate, finding a more suitable substitute is wise.

Hopefully with the extra time off work and rest, you'll be ship shape in no time.
    Please try not to worry, I'm sure you'll have answers and a safe alternative soon.
    Wishing you a peaceful day!

6. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :goodpost: What Layla said! Ask the pharmacist or call the doctor's office that prescribed the meds. There are plenty of alternatives.

7. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Layla and Jaycey are right on with that. It really messed with my mother. I have been on it before and didn’t have your symptoms, but didn’t feel well with it. I’ve had lots of uti and have been given other antibiotics that were very effective. Probiotics, etc. are my go to aids.

8. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

Thanks @Layla, @Jaycey you are such calming forces... Apparently those at the ends of the bell curve on Levaquin can have some not so good side permanent side effects even after just one dose. I am not at those far ends but was feeling something odd sensations with just two doses, and was am leary about my sensitivity getting worse with each dose... I went back to my Dr today. The preliminary results were back from my culture, and she changed my antibiotic to Agmentin. I hope that does the trick. :fingersx:

Thanks so much :) :-) (:
    Layla, I am hoping our snow storm will be short and sweet, and then we will see Spring :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Good luck! Glad you got the switch.

10. Layla

You're welcome and thanks for your kind words.
    Great news on switching the antibiotic. I am happy to hear you went back to your doctor.
    I hope any side effects you were experiencing fade quickly and that you're feeling more at peace.

I'm with you in regard to the snow. It's getting ridiculous! Hopefully it will afford you some extra R&R.
    To brighter days in every regard :yes!:
    @MyJampa

11. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@MammaT I hope that your Mom did not get any permanent side effects from the Levaquin. I hear that it is harder on people over 60. I am doing OK with my new antibiotic, and hope and pray that it knocks out this nasty little e-coli... It is strange because I did not have much for side affects for my UTI/Kidney infection, could it be due to the pain meds I have been on???

I seem to have a little set back with my walking but a suppose fighting my UTI infections, and having a record breaking 17+ inches of snow this past weekend @Layla (keeping me on the boring hallway walk inside) I should not be surprised of a set back. Hopefully I will get off the step baclwards when the real spring comes.

I plan to head back to work this Wednesday for 4 hours and 4 hours on Thursday then off for Fri- Sun. I sure hope I am up for it. I have changed the date twice so far so am definitely going to give it a try.

I know it is truly spring somewhere - Enjoy:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Layla

Hi @MyJampa
    This winter is getting ridiculous! I was surprised to hear of the school closings today.
    Looking outside, you'd think it was January, lol!

Wondering if you're taking a Pro-biotic? Could be a consideration since you're dealing with e-coli.
    My understanding is that the most common way to acquire e-coli is from contaminated food.
    I read that 75-95% of UTI's are caused by e-coli. That was news to me!

I choose to take a pro-biotic one year round since I've read 70% of our immune system lies within our gut.
    I'm going for a strong immune system :happydance:

Sounds like your easing back into work sensibly. Carve out some time for rest when you return home.
    You may be tired. Let us know how it goes.

I do have faith we will see Spring soon. Wishing you a great week :flwrysmile:

13. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

Thanks @Layla Yes I am taking my pro-biotic twice per day, about 3 hours after I take my antibiotic. I definitely think that it is helping me with the antibiotic side effects. I have stopped eating quite as much green leafys and brocolli because it was causing way to much bloating and painful gas while on the antibiotic (that is also one of the side effects of the antibiotic) I have read the same about e-coli, and that the major % of bacteria resistant e-coli comes from grocery store meats... They did tell me that my lab culture showed that the antibiotic I am on should be good for the two strains of e-coli they found. :happydance: That certainly lifted my spirits.

I can't tell you (I am sure you feel the same) How good it is to see the sun today. I think I am going to change the childhood song to, Snow snow go away, come again in winter days! Or something like that.

Hope you have a great week too :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope you are faring okay with your return to work. I returned out of necessity in 5 1/2 weeks and man, was I wiped out!
    I would come home, ice down, and assume the position in ye olde recliner.
    Take care and I hope your well is going well.:yes:

• Like Like x 1