BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hope new one helps 2 yr old one

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by MyJampa, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

United States United States
    Hi,

I made it through surgery YEA!!! and am almost three weeks out. Not sure if I agree with what many say about hips being easier than knees. I had a posterior hip replacement, and between the precautions, the pain and the fact that the hip is in the middle of your body (making it harder to ice and move around in bed), I felt my 2015 Right TKR was easier. I would agree that the post surgical exercises are easier and understand that each of these surgeries are certainly unique.

I felt good getting home from the hospital. As instructed I started to take small steps to wean off the pain meds, and move around more, but no one warned me about how much it would swell up since I was no longer on anti-inflammatory drugs. I now have the pain and inflammation under control and am starting to go for short walks (100 paces) 3 times per day. Yea!

I am a little frustrated with my 2 yr old TKR which I now ice more than the hip. :umm:My OS did find that my Right leg (TKR) was 9 mm longer than the Left leg (THR). With computerized aide he tried to make them equal.
    Hoping that things will continue to settle down as I continue to work with my new joints:good-bad:

2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The BoneSmart way, they are even easier as we suggest that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Three Week Anniversary!
    Wishing you the best as you continue recovery.
    A great rest of the week to you!
    @MyJampa

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@Layla Thanks for the greeting and @Josephine thank you very much for this site. I have read much of the advice regarding recovery and find it extremely helpful. I am listening to my body with regard to how much I should be doing and find that it is working nicely. My hip whispered to me this morning. "You should not have moved that kitchen chair across the room last night," at least it is not shouting at me for doing something more stupid! :nah:
    I enjoy physical activity and tend to push myself a little to far at times. I am trying hard to be the slow and steady turtle instead of the rabbit in my recovery.

Thank you for all you do :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

:thumb: There will be plenty of time for all that activity soon. A short space of time devoted to healing will give you a lifetime of no hip pain.

6. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Taking it slow and steady pays off in the end @MyJampa. I took second surgery and recovery a bit slower than first and think it was very good for me. I am not yet 100% 6 weeks out, but I am tons better than I was before. Taking the first month easy is especially important.

Our body will tell us afterwards if we shouldn’t have done something, but I also find mine tries to tell me ahead of time!

7. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@MammaT @Jaycey Well so much for taking it easy. Not that I really overdid it, but friends stopped over with lunch Friday, then cousin and husband stopped by in the afternoon/evening, and then went on a first little outing Sat. I did not keep to my normal ICE routine for those two days and am feeling it Sunday morning. It was just so nice to feel human again I could not say no. I really didn't do anything more physical, just did not ice regularly... So I am taking it very slow today and planning on icing at least 4-5 times. (3-4 has been my norm) :ice:

Slow and Steady... Slow and Steady... Slow and Steady... I think is my new Mantra!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Layla

Great Mantra! @MyJampa
    You'll get there. You recognize what set you back and are doing what is necessary to recover.
    You'll bounce back quickly :happydance:
    Sounds like a lot of activity but also a lot of fun :yes!:
    That's a good thing as we need to feel part of the world again also.
    I'm happy to hear you enjoyed yourself. Keep up the good work...you're doing great!
    Wishing you a wonderful week :flwrysmile:

9. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

@MyJampa , we all need to be reminded! I catch myself saying ‘slow and deliberate’ as I move around.
    I hear you about feeling human again. I arrived home 4 days ago and have been living on the 2nd floor of our home for the most part. I make a trip downstairs once a day for our evening meal and it lifts my spirits. But also makes me tired and sore later. Baby steps.

10. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@Layla Thanks for the pep talk Layla, you put me in a much better frame of mind! At times the little bumps in the road, make this journey seem like one big roller coaster... The littlest bumps can pull your mood right down at times, just like a kind words or a visit from a friend can make your smile and help your heart soar. We all really need to stay connected and feel apart of this world!
    @AJinNH I hear you about lifting your spirits just with a change of environment. I wish you a smooth recovery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary. A flower for you :flwrysmile:
    Hope you're feeling better.
    Wishing you a great rest of the week!
    @MyJampa

12. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Sometimes we just need to out and do some of those small things that we remind us we have a life @MyJampa. Maybe take ice pack with you on some of the outings- that way even in the car or sitting at a restaurant you can get some benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

Thanks for the one month anniversary wish @Layla I am now 5 weeks and can't believe it has been that long. I was hoping to be a bit further along but am having a hard time getting out and walking with all this snow we are having in Minnesota ( I see you are also from our lovely snowy state) I am planning on going back to work next week. Hoping to do part time for Tues, Wed, and Thur, to get back in the saddle and use to a day of sitting at my desk...
    I finally got to read a portion of your recovery post. It sure can be challenging when dealing with a number of issues. I hope things continue to improve for you and your dear mother.

@MammaT Thanks for the Ice pack idea. I actually did it last weekend when we went out and it was quite helpful. :yes:

14. Layla

:hi:
    I always say time moves quickly in recovery. At least I felt that was the case.
    Yes, lovely snowy Minnesota. Snow measurable enough to wreak havoc with the morning commute yesterday.
    Enough to shovel and plow :snow plough: and enough to get on your nerves :tantrum2: I thought it was Spring?

I wish you luck in heading back to work next week. Hopefully you'll ease back in comfortably. I'm sure you've read of others phasing back in recently. I think as long as you're able to rest at night without coming home to a lot more activity, you'll be alright. Consider bringing ice packs to work "just in case". Let us know how it goes for you. It may help another who's ready to transition back.

Thanks for the well wishes for me and dear old mom, lol! I think I may have clenched my teeth typing the "dear" part. Just a little humor, of course!

Hope the rest of your week is great :flwrysmile:
    @MyJampa

15. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@Layla thanks for your sage advice. I plan to head back to work this Thursday, part time for 1-2 weeks. I plan on taking ice and have requested a lumbar support for my chair. Hopefully we will be done with our crazy winter by then. I am so ready for Spring :flwrysmile:

Say I have a question, do you have an idea as to when you should be able to sleep on the side with the incision? I am 6 weeks out and still have quite a bit of pain along my incision. I have tried to lay on it a couple of times but it just hurts too much...:groan: I have my 6 week appoint with my OS this Wed and will ask him about this also.

Hope you and your Mom are doing well :)

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. Jackie222

Jackie222 senior

Wishing you good luck with your return To with. Take it easy.
    I was told to wait 6 weeks before lying on my incision side and then to stay on it only as long as was tolerable. It takes time before you can do a full night on it but you will get there

17. MammaT

MammaT supremo

I had anterior approach @MyJampa, so side sleeping may be a bit different. It took about 7 weeks before it got comfortable. What I mainly noticed is that when my body was ready for it, I just started waking up my side. I think my body starts doing things when it is ready without me noticing it.

18. Layla

Hi @MyJampa
    My mom and I are doing well. Thank you!

Best wishes as you return to work this week. Glad to hear your phasing back in. You may be tired.
    Hopefully at night you can rest, ice and elevate as needed, not adding much activity once you're off work.
    Let us know how it goes.

As far as side sleeping, I don't recall but I feel it was a couple months post op before I even attempted it. I was afraid. Even though I am naturally a side sleeper I couldn't imagine laying on my incision. When I started, I eased into it. It will come. I'm sure your OS will tell you it's fine as long as you're comfortable. I use a body pillow. Cheap...from Target -$10. Can't live without it! You will need a pillow in between your legs. I lay on my surgical side all the time now, have for many months. I fall asleep that way every night. I don't lay / sleep on my non op side due to a pesky shoulder. Keep trying....you'll get there!

Best of luck at your appt tomorrow. Give us an update afterward, if you feel like sharing. We'd love to hear :flwrysmile:

19. MyJampa

MyJampa junior member

@Layla @MammaT Well I am not worrying so much about sleeping on my incision now! I guess these rides like to take their own turns. Before I went to bed last night I was greeted with a little blood in my urine.:sad: I went to the clinic this morning and they said that I have a UTI and good possibility of a kidney infections... Got a one week supply of antibiotics which may change once the culture results come back. I have been feeling that I have been fighting something off for some time so I guess now I know what the culprit is. I just don't like having an infection of any sort when I have a fresh joint prosthesis. Sigh :bored:

Hope you are both doing well.

20. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Please don't worry about that shiny new hip. Sorry that you have to suffer through an UTI - but it won't impact the hip at all. Just take prescription your doc ordered. Hope you feel better soon!