Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Hi F4F.
How's your new hip behaving?
Hoping all is continuing to get better and better :egypdance:
I can't wait for spring and summer to get here.
I feel very Vitamin D deprived :SUNsmile: and I am in dire need of some hydrotherapy.:swim:

You and I are in the same boat @Mojo333 I do see buds on trees which look oh so promising that Spring will be here soon. I am ready to soak in the sun. :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

Hip is behaving, not much new to report. Still strengthening so I can walk unaided. No pain in hip, just don’t have full strength back to walk without aid for any length of time. Going to gym daily to ride the bike and do gentle exercises to build up my leg muscles. Got a bit bummed this last week as I allowed myself to get too hopeful. It’s early days I know. My mind is back with the program now. Lol.

Almost the weekend so, hope you have a wonderful weekend. :yay:

I know it is going to take time for you to get that leg strength back on track. And good for you for realizing this too because it would be ever so easy to get frustrated and tempt tendonitis...
Such a long time on the bench...but I'm certain you will get back in the game.

No hip pain is Splendid.:happydance:
Hope you have a Good Day, friend.

@Fit4Family
Sarah.... I’ve finally got round to checking in on BoneSmart & I’m so pleased to see that your hip is going well... Bone growth & no pain must be so amazing for you after all this time... Sorry you caught the flu ... just what you didn’t need at that point in time!! You seem to be doing so well now... still early days though but you so deserve to be able to enjoy this coming Summer to the full...
Sadly, one of my friends passed away so it’s been a difficult few months but Im doing well... Knee & hip are fabulous!!!

Love & hugs Chrissie xxx❤️

Hello Chrissie! @Hoppy Nanny
So fun to see you here today sweet friend. I am thrilled to hear that your knee and hips are fabulous! Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hugs and wishes for comfort and some sunshine. :SUNsmile:

We are thrilled to finally be moving forward! Bone growth was especially encouraging to see so early in the recovery process. Sending love and wishes for a happy, healthy Spring. xxxxxx Sarah ❤️

Good morning all!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Have a question: As I have increased my exercise and walking I have developed what feels like shin splints. Anyone else have this when trying to move towards mobility? Have been icing and doing light stretches. Thinking in hindsight walking on indoor track that is concrete might have caused this.

Plan to walk only on black top this week and ride stationary bike. Just curious if anyone had this. Also what you did to repair it?

Hope everyone has a great week!

Last edited:
:wave: Sarah

I had what I assume was shin splints and I just massaged my shin frequently to be honest. Not sure that is helpful to you ... but mine eventually just went away, a bit like the plantar fascitis did with me.

Have a good week my friend.
BettyBoop kisses.jpeg Izzy xx

Hi Sarah
I am not as far along in recovery as you so I haven’t gotten shin splints. What I am experiencing is lower back plan on my operated side when trying to walk with cane.
Was wondering, have you been going to outpatient PT? I just finished in home PT and taking a 3 week break before outpatient. I have enough exercises assigned by my home PT to keep me busy

hello dear Sarah...sounds like the timing was coinciding with the concrete track. I definitely feel different after walking on concrete vs. something softer. I'm pretty confident that's what you're feeling. Time and no more walking on concrete should heal you up quickly.

So happy to hear of your "boring" complaints :heehee:

So happy to hear of your "boring" complaints :heehee:
LOL this cracked me up @Bfam85 So true! Compared to a clanking piece of metal pretty boring. Spent a few hours in my yard today. Tired, but shins aren’t screaming yet. Hope you are well. :yes:

Hi @Laskyd I have done loads of PT, not this time, as I know all the exercises and am doing them. Really glad they are helping you progress! Almost 1 month!!

Sounds exactly like what you had Izzy @Izabel ❤️ Feels a lot like plantar fasciitis. I could not bear walking last night, a little better today after walking in grass. Glad it’s normal and very boring. Lol.

Hi Sarah! I had a bit of this, when I began walking longer distances outside on the cement sidewalks. It is a real significant soreness, isn't it?
Shin splints are most likely due to increasing the workload as you are improving with your lovely new hip. I used ice packs after my walks to help ease the soreness and resulting inflammation.. then I skipped the walks for a week or maybe ten days? I really can't recall now. Then instead, I just worked on the recumbent bike.
I think I nipped it in the bud because it didn't return when I resumed my walks. Oh! I also did some stripping massage and in lieu of that, the rolling massager works pretty good, too. Like a rolling pin?

Hopefully if you can ice and ease up on the walking or like you said, avoid the harder surfaces, maybe that will do the trick for you, too.

On another note, what was your weather today? We hit 61 degrees here with brilliant sunshine.. so nice. :flwrysmile: - that's me with a spring flower :snork:

Hello @CricketHip
I am so grateful for you post. I am happy this pain is normal and relieved to have a remedy. It’s really painful, so easing off seems the best solution. Will continue with bike. I will try roller and ice too. Weird that it hurts in such a boney area, but makes sense based on increased activity. Thankfully hurts less this morning with taking two days off now from concrete.

:SUNsmile: We do have warmer weather too. :froggies: Birds chirping this morning despite the rain. I managed to trim a few shrubs yesterday. Felt so good to be productive. Used kids old wagon to tote my stuff and was amazingly balanced on the grass.

Thank you again for sharing what worked for you. ❤️ My hip feels pretty good, so I am hopeful this will pass soon.

You are so welcome. Strangely I didn't get this with lefty, just this time with righty and it was when I was increasing my distances, plus I decided to be more aware of the areas I walk in and to be sure I avoided slanted surfaces when I could. Like when walking on the inside of a road where the road would slant towards the ditch or a shoulder..
I hope yours clears up as quickly as mine did.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I'm so happy you're doing well and hope the pain you're dealing with continues to ease, or better yet...is now history!
Spring and Summer will be lovely for you this year. It's encouraging to see you working toward your happy ending. Well deserved, sweet lady! :loveshwr:
Have a great Wednesday. :)
@Fit4Family

Spring was not coming here soon enough - snow still on the ground and grey today so I bought a hyacinth bulb at the grocery store and it is now blooming on my kitchen windowsill. Just a taste of what is to come. I know it is coming soon, I can feel it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back