Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Good idea @VSlowLife and @ceezee Doubt I venture back out except walking for a few weeks. Hoping to pedal some but that will most likely be in February. With a kid in high school suspect the germs are just part of winter for most. He plays sports so no avoiding it. Lol.

@Fit4Family good morning hippie friend! I'm sorry that the swelling is lingering, it's a worry and it's annoying. Let's add a few more things to your routine, if you don't mind?

Much of the lymphatic system depends on a good flow up to your neck area and around your collar bones. ( supra clavicular and clavicular) It is also very beneficial for you to help your Lymph system by priming the lymph nodes in your axillary areas.. ( armpits)

I have clients here but will hopefully give you a few more things to help..
You could also think about finding a MLD therapist in your area to try. It does help give some relief.

Stay tuned!

Okay, Sarah, if you are up to it, there is something else you might be able to do to help your body assimilate some of the edema that you have hanging around on that surgical leg..
What is most important with using your hands to help things along is to remember to keep your hands soft and to avoid using your fingertips.
You already know about the deep diaphragmatic breathing and the light strokes for the groin area but you can also "prime" your lymphatic system by starting with your neck area, right where the neck joins towards the clavicles (collarbone) I've found for most people it's best to use 2 to 3 fingers and you want to place your hand/fingers on the skin right above your collarbone and with light pressure you stretch the skin like you want to tuck it underneath your collarbone. I hope this makes sense?
You can do this by placing your right hand on the left side of your neck and then the right hand on the left side of your neck.
This area needs quite a bit of priming, I would start with at least 15 strokes on each side.
Let me know if this is too confusing.. maybe I can expand on it further.
So! I would begin any of your self MLD sessions with the neck work first then the abdominal breathing with hand pressure, then the light strokes up towards the groin area. You really can't do this too much, the important detail is to be very very light with your touch.
It's really very simple. I am humbled almost daily how this light touch be so beneficial.

I loved your update from your OS visit. You are on your way!@ So so so happy for you.

Thank you so much @CricketHip I found a document on line that has images of what you are describing. It’s too large to load here. Will try this morning. Really makes sense. I am also trying drinking more water. You are so thoughtful to share this with me. I have no idea why this is what happens. Right leg is completely normal.

Happy Thursday! :loveshwr:

You are most welcome! I debated an image also, but have to make sure it isn't copyrighted..
Just remember that you can do your MLD strokes several times a day..

I had persistent swelling with righty. I could manage it but it would return, one day I got fed up and vowed to do several treatments in a short amount of time and it helped immensely. But I also think it was a matter of getting to approx. 3 weeks post op.

Another great tool for the lower leg is dry brushing.. with a long handled natural boar bristle brush and using very gentle brush strokes beginning at your foo and brushing clear up to your groin.. alwyas gentle stroke, always upwards in direction.
AND, lastly :heehee:
Take your hand in a flat position and place it behind your swollen knee and gently press into the back of your knee and then do that stretching motion upwards towards your the back of your thigh.
There are lymph nodes there, too. It's a very common area to get "stuck" with fluid. So that technique is again priming the nodes to allow them to get working again.

Have a great day!! :flwrysmile:

Yay... you said “Right leg is completely normal”. !!! Just finding one normal thing in these recoveries is soooo good ! Loving your new surgeon @Fit4Family... although I can’t imagine looking at your whole, long recovery journey made you feel...just glad that you have confidence in that new hip.

Sleeping is so hit & miss...when you get a few nights in a row it’s like a miracle... I’ve not been able to sleep later than 8am since my knee op... still gets stiff!

We’ve not had any cold weather but so much rain... only 2 days without rain since the 2nd week in October.. I’m glad you’ve no snow there.

Had my gym physio session today... I’ve found one thing I enjoy... the rowing machine... it really does stretch the muscle that still hurts me...only a few more sessions left I’m pleased to say...

Hoping your swelling continues to alleviate... Im sure once you are moving around more it will ease off...

Wishing for a great week for you... love Chrissie xx

Thank you so much for all the detailed information @CricketHip I think it may be working. Lots of fluid to move so I will remain deligent. I have been using a dry brush and also shower brush. Great suggestion! Yesterday I ate lots of water veggies like celery and cucumbers. Will try knee massage today. Does seem stuck there and ankle in particular. At least I can see my toes now! Progress. Hope you have a great weekend. :flwrysmile:

@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie, happy to hear from you. ❤️ Glad you are continuing to see progress on your knee. Rowing is a great idea. I used to do that years ago. Great full body exercise. Sleep is a challenge. Stiffness is for sure culprit. My brain is tired, but my body won’t have any of it. I’m wondering if the cold weather makes it worse. Last night I went to bed in flannels. Think all my water drinking had me frozen solid. Lol.

Hope you get some sunshine. :SUNsmile: Such a lift to mood to get outside.

Greetings @Fit4Family and Happy Sunday christmas-angel
So relieved and glad that you are progressing and that your leg is stable and sturdy. I remember at the stage you are at, I really couldn't do much. Just a short trip to a store made me run for cover and hide! So, be encouraged that all is well and remember, don't look day to day for your progress, look week to week. xox

Hello @Bfam85 Hope you are well. How is 2020 treating you?

Your message is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. I have run for cover a few times already. Great description. I know you are correct that this is a slow process and I need to alter my expectations. It’s hard to not worry with every new ache. You’d think I’d know better. :yes:

Hope you have a great week!

You’d think I’d know better.
After the trials you have had, it makes sense you would “run for cover.”

Thank goodness for this community, where there are compassionate folks, who have been on the journey, to help steady others and give them hope.

Just a short trip to a store made me run for cover and hide!

I really needed to hear that. :) :-) (: Thank you, so much.

VS I'll second what @Fit4Family said the post surgery pain is much easier than pre and quickly becomes more discomfort than pain. After the first week it gets much easier. I tend to live by the motto "Better living through modern chemistry." Taking pain medication has never bothered me and I don't have an addiction issue (I was on opioids long term before ankle surgery and had no issue coming off them after replacement) that being said I was off all narcotics after 2 weeks.

Thank you!
VS I'll second what @Fit4Family said the post surgery pain is much easier than pre and quickly becomes more discomfort than pain. After the first week it gets much easier.

I tend to live by the motto "Better living through modern chemistry."
:rotfl: Oh you gave me such a great chuckle!!

I have been on them, too. It served me well for spine surgery. It has it’s purpose for sure!

:wave: F4F.
Happy Tuesday.:unsure: I have a monthly board meeting tonight, I just remembered.
Don't like meetings...boooooring.:oyvey:

Figuring that the work/school work is long for you home recovering...so hope you get some visitors.

Also guessing your incision is closing up, nicely I hope?
Its finally cold here... not cold like others get cold but anything under 60 is Cold to me.
Still sending healing vibes and Hope your day is happy.:loveshwr:

Good morning @Mojo333 :wave:

I am with you on meetings. Especially evening meetings. The worst.

Kids are out for teacher grading day today. Thankful for another day of a later start. Our son lifts in the am most days, so I have to get him out the door by 7 AM.

My incision is healing up nicely, No staples this time, so seems to be progressing more quickly. Think it’s going to be a long while before I get nerve sensation back there. Three times in one spot not ideal. But worth it for a stable hip. At the stage where my family clearly thinks I’m back to normal so I have to ask for help. Kinda remember this last time. Hello, still using a cane here!! Hoping I get more independent soon, we are all weary of this journey.

Hope you have time for a nap before your meeting. Happy Tuesday!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom