Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Thank you @Cecropia Sorry about your back. ❤️ I have been there too and always think, really? So disheartening.

Reading about a rolling pin on someone’s thread. Already have tool from Amazon, no idea where to roll it to provide relief. Don’t even know what I hurt for sure. Just know it was very ANGRY at me for doing it. A bit paranoid after the year I have had.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Hi @Fit4Family
I'm going to draw @Jaycey in to see if she has any advice for you in regard to Post 359. She often gives helpful advice on exercise...so let's start there.
Wishing you comfort and a good weekend!

So, how long should I be in time-out?
Unless you are training for an upcoming sports event or weight training there is really no need to ever use resistance bands again.
Where should I start?
I would stick with your light stretches for now along with walking. Slowing increase your walking distance. Remember you have to have the energy to make the return trip. Doing what I call mindful walking (being conscious of every step and your gait - heel/toe walking). Transition to your poles when you are ready. You might even want to set yourself a goal to join a nordic pole walking group once you are totally confident and moving freely.

Do you know of any physios that do deep muscle massage? A chiropractor or osteopath might do this as well. The problem with using a roller or tool for massage is that you might not position it right and it could cause you more issues. Someone who does deep muscle massage could show you how to do this correctly.

Finally - just a reminder:
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Thank you so much @Jaycey Very helpful advice. :flwrysmile:

Will look into the deep tissue massage. I was walking in the pool, forward and backward prior to this mishap. Backwards seemed to be really helping with my hip strength and overall balance. Should I wait awhile on pool walking?

Thank you. :loveshwr:

The problem with pool walking is the you are weightless. It is very easy to over do when nothing is slowing you down. If you can be disciplined about the amount you do and build up very gradually water walking is a great exercise. Just keep your approach slow and steady and be prepared to scale back if you have any discomfort.

@Fit4Family just checking in on you. You are getting there.....patience will win the day. When do you see your OS next?
The deep tissue massage sounds great. Prior to my thr, I was going to a physio therapist who had me lying on my tummy, and giving me an excellent massage on my butt around where the femur head is. Oh my goodness, it really helped with the pain of the avascular necrosis. He told me I could do the same thing at home with a ball, but I was never successful finding the sweet spot.
The warning I got from my OS at tge 3 month mark was not over due any kind of exercise program that over extended my hip area...especially ones that bring my knees too close to my chest. I am going to pamper myself from now on, and it helps to read everyone's comments here.
Sending you lots of hugs......Diana

Thank you so much @Newstart70 Glad to see you here Diana. ❤️

I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. My OS said same thing. Don’t have any idea why I kept lifting my leg when it really hurt. Pretty crazy. My PT has done deep tissue massage. May go back after this is completely healed for massage only.

I’m moving slowly and relieved it doesn’t seem like permanent damage this time. I go back at six month mark to my OS. Late September. I am ok with slow progress. Hoping to be cane free by the time our daughter goes back to college in August. That will be one year from my original accident when I fractured hip. It’s been a long year.

Take care of that hip! xx Sarah

I know how frustrating this recovery can be.
Keep the faith my friend!:friends:

Last edited:
Jaycey has said it all @Fit4Family
Just plain old walking or water walking but don’t over do it....

My first THR was much the same & deep tissue massage worked just the best for me... only had a few sessions but it really helped so much...

Hoping your weekend finds you in less discomfort ... [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Fit4Family
:wave: there ...

Just seeing how you are doing Sarah. Our long road IS getting shorter ... just sometimes we meander onto winding country roads! :whistle:

animated-hug-image-0128.gif Izzy xx

Hello @Izabel

Our road is hopefully shortening. Hope you had a great weekend. I’m back to OS this morning as my pain isn’t letting up. Hoping it’s nothing serious.

Will update later on. ❤️ :loveshwr:

So sorry about the bad year you have had. And pain is nobody's friend though something we here can all relate to. I hope that you have followed all the advice here as it has helped me tremendously as I too am a participant in the ODIC. We want so much so quickly to become what we think we know everyone to be that we hurt ourselves trying.There is no set date just your own private progress, no speed, no time limit, just yours alone. Wishing you a pain-free existence.

:SUNsmile: Happy Monday Hipsters

Back from OS and X-ray. On the positive side, implant seems in place and no additional fracture. My pain increased substantially this weekend which has left me barely walking again. OS was in surgery so his assistant had me come in to rule out dislocation. I’m starting Celebrex today and back to walker for a week to minimize risk of falling. See surgeon next week to evaluate.

Diagnosis tendinitis in gluteus minimus and bursitis. Possibly a tear, so hoping and praying that it shows signs of improvement soon so I don’t need another surgery. Trying to remain hopeful.

Sending wishes for a calm pain free week to all.

So sorry that you are having such pain & lack of mobility @ Fit4Family
Hoping that the medication & rest will help... thinking of you Sarah with love & hugs hipster sis... it’s about time you had your share of some good news... wishing... wishing!
Chrissie xx[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker