Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on a wedge or cushion. ❤️ I had ice on way there, but the way back all was melted. We also sat out at restaurant, so I’m hoping it was just too many poor sitting options. Having trouble at my computer today. Thankful to have comfy chair for conference calls.

Last edited:
It takes little or nothing to strain the muscles in the area after they were stretched like rubberbands during the operation. The IT band will hurt like the dickens and cause knee pain and soreness from the waist down. Mine was sore even to the touch for months, if I rubbed the outer thigh I could feel the soreness.

Thank you @Eman85 Very helpful to hear. I’m a bit paranoid after my failed pinning. I have not felt pain in my hip for some time, so it worried me. But, like you said, I can run hand over thigh and hip and it all hurts. So maybe it’s just muscles. Have to look up IT band. Take care!

Hope it just needs some rest. I haven't had pain anywhere near my joint but soft tissues do get cranky sometimes. And it's a **** shoot whether I need to walk it off or ice and rest. :chinstroke:

I know it's hard to really grasp but you're still short time in recovery. At 3mo last year I had plenty to catch up on around the house. It didn't take much physical labor to put me back in the chair and icing. It took 3 weeks to get back to where I was! That was when I grasped the reality of what this operation really is all about. I know mine was more complicated because of pin removal and I'd say they needed more room to work and stretched it all a little further. No matter what they have disassembled us and our bodies didn't like it. It's just a healing thing and once healed then you can attempt to build back strength. My OS said 1 year and he was telling the truth. It's actually still getting a little better and there is still room for improvement for me.

Oh no,you have developed the 'knee grief' like me. I can't sit for long without my butt hurting. I have a memory foam cushion for the car which I take when I have to sit on not-so-comfortable seats. I was doing this before my major issues as I was uncomfortable due to muscle loss. I got this from Amazon ...
upload_2019-5-29_9-21-52.jpeg

I also got this one for general use ...
upload_2019-5-29_9-25-20.jpeg

Please take things easier. xx

Hello @Eman85 Really appreciate your input. I also had previous pinning that failed, so more extensive surgery to remove and repair holes.

Just read your recovery thread. So happy you are back racing and doing the things you love. Seeing your updates at 3, 6, 9, and 12 months are very helpful. I had limited information going in as it was an emergency surgery. Guess it’s time to educate myself. I’ve avoided as I have weak stomach. My chart says, special case, not usual THR. OS, says he rarely does my surgery, and does 300 plus a year regular THRs. Thank you again. Happy racing!

Last edited:
Hello @Izabel Really appreciate your thoughtful cushion suggestions. Hope your knee improves very soon. Ice and rest, ice and rest! Happy Wednesday! xx

My pinning wasn't emergency but was done back in 1969. An attempt to remove them was made by a hack surgeon in the 70's. I searched to find a surgeon that I felt confident with that could do the THR and remove the pins. The pinning and attempt at removal was nothing compared to having a THR. I didn't watch any videos, saw one animation and I didn't enjoy watching it. I understood what had to be done and how much trauma it would cause, and my OS was very up front as far as informing me.

Sorry your day out has left you sore and swollen but good for you enjoying it just the same. I wonder what your patio seating was like? Any chair without a cushion will destroy me in less than an hour and leave residual pain. I take a small cushion in a small backpack so I have it on hand for restaurants if needed and park benches when I need a rest. I would suggest a bit of gentle walking combined with rest from my experience.

I had limited information going in as it was an emergency surgery. Guess it’s time to educate myself.

Same here for my February surgery. For better or worse, I had no time to think about it. Just curious — what is pinning?

Thank you @Carriemay60 Great idea to have restaurant cushion. It was a metal outdoor chair. A bit better today, just trying to move more, but no long treks. Hope all is well with you. ❤️

Hello @HipsterKat So sorry your surgery was an emergency too. I slipped and fell and broke my hip. Pinning, is done in the hopes that the bone will fully heal on its own. Mine didn’t heal, so 3 pins had to be removed, filled in, then hip replacement. Hope you are doing ok today.

@Fit4Family, yikes that sounds intense! What do they fill them in with? (Sorry to be asking so many questions -- ortho stuff is my new obsession.)

Hope today is a Good Day @Fit4Family
Still early days...keep the faith!:flwrysmile:

Hoping to get some things done early to beat this heat!
Ten days and counting with heat indexes in the hundreds...and Summer is three weeks away.
Glad I've got good hips to go on.
Times are going to keep getting better, friend...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back