Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

I’m so tired of people asking me what’s wrong with me that I can’t walk and telling me of people or their own stories of how at 12 weeks they were back to work and a normal life.

They may actually believe that, but it didn't happen quite that way. Mr. Shoes told me the other day that my knee recovery was better and faster than my recovery from a colon resection a decade ago. Really? I don't remember it that way. I thought I bounced back pretty quick from that. No, he said, you didn't. You were knocked off your game for months. But I really don't remember that. I only remember getting well. Maybe it's a lot like childbirth, where you end up thinking "That wasn't so bad." It's nature's way of making us able to go through with painful body experiences again and again.

How wonderful that you've found a therapist you like. That matters so much. Try not to worry about what the OS will say. You've made great strides since your MUA.

My doctor’s appointment went very well yesterday. My surgeon seemed pleased with my progress and actually seemed to agree with the BS way of recovery at this point in my knee journey. He would like for me to continue with my gentle therapy and I also go to aqua therapy twice a week for the next four months. Get back to my regular daily activities as much as I can with my limited mobility, giving up the cane around the house and re-building my painful hamstrings and quads through daily activities. Sounds like the BoneSmart way to me! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Celle my husband deserves an orange sports car too, but he’d rather have a camper van! That is our retirement dream to get a camper van and tour the Americas.

I’m glad you are happy with the appointment. I always dreaded mine because I wasn’t doing the exercises he wanted me to do.

Best wishes with the pool. Most people like it, I did not. I think I’m the only one on Bonesmart who didn’t!

@Jockette I’ve always loved swimming and the pool. I actually get the feeling of freedom and mobility which I don’t have on land. I’ve only been able to make the aqua therapy class a couple of times, between dr appts and inclement weather, so I have been stuck doing my exercises at home. I was wondering what exercises you do vs the ones the dr wants you to do??? I’m really trying to get strong enough to walk, but am so frustrated with the lack of progress.

I didn’t really do any exercises for my bend after I found Bonesmart at about 4 weeks post op. Just my daily activities. Once in a while I would do a half leg lift a couple of times so I could say I was doing them.

The one thing I did keep up was sitting on the couch with my feet on the ottoman and I would use my leg muscle to push my knee down into the couch. It didn’t hurt when I did it so I did to keep the surgeon happy and I could say I did some exercises. I stopped that by the time I was 4 months. I think it was supposed to help with extension. If that’s wrong then I misunderstood, but that’s why I was doing it.

I started back to bowling at 12 weeks, and took a couple of months to work up to 3 games. That is not specific knee exercise, but it was activity.

@Jockette. Bowling at 12 weeks! Impressive! I’d be happy to be able to walk. I’m afraid if I don’t get back to somewhat normal living by my next appointment in 4 months the OS will consider my replacement a failure and re-do it with a traditional type knee vs the high flex ACL and PCL sparing one that I currently have. Have you or anyone else heard of failures of this type?

@Jockette. Bowling at 12 weeks! Impressive!
You wouldn’t have been impressed if you had been there! :rotfl:

I was only able to bowl one game, and both arms were shaky at the end of that one game, and I only threw the ball with the right arm, so obviously the left arm was still in basic recovery from major surgery mode.

I could not use the same “choreographed” approach to the throw line, and still can’t, at one year post op.
I have to carry the ball to the throw line, then lean forward from the waist without bending my operated leg.

My balance was still a little off.

My husband had to help me put on my bowling shoes and tie them for me!

I couldn’t handle my rolling bowling tote until a couple of months later.

So, this is a prime example of hearing what someone else did in recovery and not knowing the actual details, which is why we shouldn’t compare even though it’s so hard not to! :heehee:

OS will consider my replacement a failure and re-do it with a traditional type knee vs the high flex ACL and PCL sparing one that I currently have. Have you or anyone else heard of failures of this type?
Can you explain what is the benefit and the difference. Thank you!

I’d be happy to be able to walk. I’m afraid if I don’t get back to somewhat normal living by my next appointment in 4 months the OS will consider my replacement a failure and re-do it with a traditional type knee vs the high flex ACL and PCL sparing one that I currently have. Have you or anyone else heard of failures of this type?
Don't wrorry about this. A lot can happen in 4 months. Even in July (after 4 months more) your new knee will only be 7 months old - not much more than half way through this year-long recovery.

Can you explain what is the benefit and the difference. Thank you!
Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos

Our Library is a great source of information.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/library-index.14830/

Thanks @Celle for explaining to @Mutti and me about the different types of implants with the links. My OS chose the cruciate saving type since I was quite active prior to an injury last 4th of July and both ligaments were in good shape. The end result was suppose to be a more “athletic” type knee, but I remember @Josephine saying there really wasn’t much difference over all....if my memory is correct. I was hoping to be back in the gym at 6 months and chasing grand kids too! I’m a slow learner and am coming to grips with let thy knee be thy guide! [emoji6]

Very interesting articles with good explanations. There are so many variables in the healing process. But the one variable is constant, the knee is the captain of the ship!

I know I should be walking more. My OS even told me to give up the cane, but my PT said it’s too early. That I should be able to do a straight leg raise with a 3 pound weight before I give up the cane, so I have been following his advice. Walking is a real struggle. I hold on to my DH’s arm or a shopping cart whenever I am out walking. I walk around the house some unassisted but can’t do that much. Should I be pushing myself to make progress or will it come on its own unforced?

You shouldn’t push for anything, that will only set you back. Things will improve naturally as you heal.

I only used a weight once at PT because he put it on so fast and I don’t think fast. I did ok with it. But I was ready the next time and said no, and he was fine with that.

A 3 pound weight would have been way too much for my new knee. I gave up my cane between 3-4 months without using any weights to test it. I don’t think I’d do well with a weight even now at one year. We are not going to the Olympics, we just want to return to normal.

Slow and steady, gentle and easy, is a better way to recover.

You are very early yet, don’t worry about too much walking yet. Yes, you want to move around, and you are. Longer walks can come later when you’ve healed more.

My OS said I would be off the cane a good two weeks before PT was okay with me not using a walker. Go figure. When I was using a cane, I kept it with me until I started leaving it behind and would wonder where I'd left it. At that point, I no longer needed it. The point being you should use the cane for as long as you look for it when walking. It makes you feel more secure and that's a good thing.

Building confidence in our new knees comes with using them. As you use your knee more, you will learn to trust it. Also, the more you use it --within what it is able to do-- the stronger your knee will become. So short walks and doing your daily activities are all going to help you get to where you want to be. If you push anything, let it be that you take a short (whatever you are able) walk here and there, not that you load your knee with weights. Weights are something for down the road.

@Hood1980 I can sympathize with you about having to re-learn walking. No one tells you this. The OS does't tell you, people who have had TKR's only tell you how soon they were back to normal, at least that's how it's been with me. I'm 61 years old, and I look like I'm 90 walking with my cane, or holding onto my husbands arm or a shopping cart for dear life. Now PT says, it just takes time, you'll get there. :bored: My daughter wants to go to the beach for our annual girls getaway around the first of May, she says you'll surely be okay by then, won't you. :shrug:

Yes @jboles! I’m right there with you. I’m at 3 months and the info I read prior to surgery all said you would be “back to normal” at 3 months. Lol! I still can’t walk! I know what you mean about the beach. My daughter just wants to get pedicures and I’m like there is no way I want anyone touching my foot and leg anytime soon!

I know I should be walking more. My OS even told me to give up the cane, but my PT said it’s too early. That I should be able to do a straight leg raise with a 3 pound weight before I give up the cane, so I have been following his advice. Walking is a real struggle. I hold on to my DH’s arm or a shopping cart whenever I am out walking. I walk around the house some unassisted but can’t do that much. Should I be pushing myself to make progress or will it come on its own unforced?
Your PT is correct, that it is too soon for you to give up the cane.
You should be able to walk confidently, with the correct gait, before you stop using the cane. To give it up too soon and risk a fall would be unwise.

However, please, please, don't allow your PT to use weights on your leg. It's not necessary and it could do harm.

Practice walking around the house without the cane. You'll gradually gain more strength and confidence.
Then, try a short walk outside - to the front gate and back? Take the cane, but try not to use either the cane or hubby's arm. It's a good idea to have them both with you, though.

It was explained to me that I should think of re-learning to walk after my BTKR as if I were a toddler learning how to walk. For example, if you think about how a person takes steps, much of the time is spent with only one foot on the ground. The other foot is moving forward. So it is necessary for the muscles in the legs to help the walker keep her balance. In addition, the person walking is looking around while walking, making the balancing even more complicated.

In the beginning, when I first started walking without my cane, I only went up to the top of the driveway, and if something caught my eye that I needed to look at, I had to stop walking and look. Otherwise I felt like I would lose my balance.

I agree with everyone that the walking aids should be used until a person feels like they no longer need them. And there isn't a timetable. I was able to walk around my room in skilled nursing without any walking aids after surgery. But I didn't feel comfortable going out of my room without my walker. And I used my cane after getting home, especially if I was going to be somewhere crowded, both to support me and to give a visual warning to others to give me some space. I really didn't like being in crowded places when I was getting my walking legs under me, that's for sure.

I don't know what a weight has to do with getting off the cane.:scratch: My PT just looked at how I was walking and I self-evaluated how steady etc. I was as the weeks went on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom