Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

What is his PT protocol?

“Same as for a primary” when I asked and I didn’t ask for details. We were in there long enough talking surgical plan and pain control, not sure I wanted to hear about PT. The booklet on knee replacement he gave me has exercises to do prior to surgery that are pretty basic. A PT visits you twice a day while in the hospital and a OT sees you 2-3 times while in the hospital. I think I can live with his PT plan. He didn’t say I’d hate him two weeks after surgery like the last OS I went to! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. He didn’t say I’d hate him two weeks after surgery like the last OS I went to!
aemoji.tapatalk_cdn.com_emoji15.png

That was a very ominous prediction. Hopefully his new OS will fix your knee correctly. Now you have to digest all he told you.

Hello @Hood1980-You have been thru a lot and are entitled to feel all that you are feeling. I would continue to pursue another opinion, you might be more convinced that this is the one? You have said some very important things: “It was a good plan” and “My knee will not get better on its own and requires surgery”. Theses are important factors to consider. It is normal to need to know more specifics, given what you have been thru. However, you might need another opinion just to get you to where YOU think you need to be. ❤️

You had someone there that actually listened to you and gave you some plans for a much better future. I'd say it was a very good appointment!

It definitely sounds promising to me also. He has a plan and seems to feel confident that he can do what needs to be done. How you heal is uncertain, and so it is for all of us. I would be encouraged if I was you.
As one lady said here, you could always try another surgeon, to help either solidify your decision, or continue searching until you feel even better. But in my opinion, I'd probably go for it with him.
It's scary, but it's nice when you finally settle on someone, and then just set the date and go through with it.
I sure am glad your husband was with you to help be the eyes and ears that you were unable to fully be.
As I read your post, I felt a little squeamish thinking of my revision and how it is only 3 1/2 months old now, and what you said about the ends of the bone being porous, and hoping they take to the new prosthesis, within six Months.
To my knowledge, I did not have rods and sleeves to secure it into place, but I know that there was an extra prosthetic stem that went 3 to 4 inches or so up into my femur bone, which I didn't have originally. He told me that is how he does revisions. I don't know of any other alterations he made during surgery, and he didn't seem to say there were any more besides that.
I saw my surgeon two weeks ago and I asked him about some of the structures in my knee. He said I have no more ACL or PCL, but I do have my MCL and LCL. I didn't have trouble with patella tracking so no alterations needed to be made there either.
You have some time to process all of this and think about what is next. None of it is easy, I know! I had three surgeries too, but all within 10 months, which is pretty crazy when you think about it!
Even when I had decided to have my current surgeon do the surgery, and I even scheduled it, I still went to see him again and talk with him one more time, and probably asked some of those same questions. I just needed some reassurance and he gave that to me. Then I was able to finish the job without uncertainty.
And yes, my gate improved a lot because I had proper knee alignment and a straight leg, my back and foot arch also hurts much less. Those symptoms aren't completely gone yet but going. I did walk on that crooked leg for six months so gait and function adjusted to that first. And now they have to go back to normal. I am still dealing with my 13 month old knee too, so my troubles are not over with yet either. But it is a process and I am moving forward. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Sounds like a positive visit with this surgeon. You may want to still get some additional opinions. It never hurts and sometimes can help you feel more confident going forward. But I'm glad to know you have at least one revision surgeon you feel you can count on. Very good to have taken someone with you to add an extra set of ears for the meeting! You're on the right track.

@Jamie,
I noticed on your last post here about when shopping through Amazon how to cause a portion of the Donations to go to Bonesmart . I shop on Amazon all the time and actually spend a lot of money on there. I don't see where it says to click on the Amazon rotating banner page? Is it on the last order page?
Or is it on a different site called smile.Amazon.com? Never heard of that one.

Thanks for noticing and being willing to help!! I clicked on the amazon smile banner and was directed to Amazon smile. then I clicked on the link for Foundation for Advancement in Research in Medicine which is the foundation which started Bonesmart. we are used to calling it FARM and I tried to find it on Amazon Smile using that but had to have the entire name!! I think this is an awesome way to support Bonesmart!!

The scheduler called today. I’m scheduled for September 5th. Thought it was far enough away for me to get organized once again, but not in two weeks as they first offered! [emoji15]. So much to do!

It's good to finally get a date for a new, straight knee!

Well I am really happy that you have a date and can plan for that. All of your planning activities will help distract you, and you can feel cautiously excited about a good outcome and on with life with a straight knee.
Yes of course things can happen that you don't anticipate, but do not let your mind go there. Count on success for you and the surgeon and answers to your prayers. :dancy:

I am considering postponing my revision to October. My DH’s work schedule is more flexible then and he can take off and be with me as long as I need him. As much as I want to go ahead and get this next leg of the journey started, pun intended, I think I’ll wait. My DH has been there for me through this ordeal and if waiting a few more weeks makes his life simpler, I think I have to do it.

OTH, I am considering if I can do this being home alone. He would be home evenings and most nights, but he does have a couple of overnight work trips in September. I know several of you have done it alone, but I am not sure about a revision recovery. Do you think they are any more difficult than a primary knee replacement? I’ve read threads both ways, so I am confused ‍♀️?

I had my OH around for a couple of days after TKR but after that he was at work all day and has been away for 4 nights at a time on several occasions. I coped. It took planning but was basically OK.
Do you not just want to get this over?

Hi @Hood1980, glad you have a surgery date. You are going to be 3 weeks ahead of me. I will be following your early days. In my opinion, I say “get-her-done”! If my surgery scheduler called and said I could go earlier, I would jump on it. I continue to get worse, just waiting for 9/25.

Many of us did this surgery and recovery alone. It just takes planning ahead. You can cook and freeze meals ahead of time. Myself, for the first couple of weeks, I didn't want much of anything to eat. I had bought a couple of cases of protein drinks, a large bottle of mixed nuts and ready made meals. This was all I wanted. You will be able to pop stuff in the microwave, get your own drinks and meds and make bathroom trips with no problem. I'd go ahead and get it over with if I were you. Be sure your phone is always with you, just in case! You can do this! At least your hubby will be home at night. You might even find out that you enjoy the alone time!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. You all are probably right! Go ahead and get it over with it, because it will always be something or some excuse to keep postponing it!

I wish I felt more positive about it truly getting fixed this time around, but I can’t help but doubt that I’ll still have difficulty walking after this second TKR on the same knee. All the second opinions I got said they could all straighten my leg, but balancing the soft tissues is the hard part and how I heal will be the determining factors on how well I can walk, move, etc.

:console2: Just remember healing takes time. It’s going to seem a lot longer to you because you’ve been in recovery mode since December and will be starting over again in September. But we’ll all be here for you:
We will offer helpful suggestions, :idea:

Cheer your accomplishments :happydance:

And send hugs when you are feeling down. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads